Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

International women's day Mass protest

• 11-02-2019 8:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭

A call for mass walkout protest for international women's day, to end:

An end to gender-based violence and harassment;

Closure of the gender pay gap;

An end to precarious conditions in work and housing;

Solidarity with the struggle for abortion rights in the North.

https://www.thejournal.ie/international-womens-day-walkout-4487752-Feb2019/

The last one is probably the only realistic one. Will you be walking out for international women's day?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭Teddy Daniels

An end to gender-based violence and harassment;

Closure of the gender pay gap;

An end to precarious conditions in work and housing;

Solidarity with the struggle for abortion rights in the North.

https://www.thejournal.ie/international-womens-day-walkout-4487752-Feb2019/

The last one is probably the only realistic one. Will you be walking out for international women's day?

There is no gender pay gap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Am all in favour of a mass walkout in protest against International Women's Day. It is a nonsense. Women especially need to be seen to condemn that kind of sexism. Abolishing International womens day must be the aim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭Stone Gossard

I'm all for walking out of mass

• Registered Users Posts: 4,704 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Yes abolish international womens day, it's all fixed, all sorted.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Am all in favour of a mass walkout in protest against International Women's Day. It is a nonsense. Women especially need to be seen to condemn that kind of sexism. Abolishing International womens day must be the aim.

are you starting the international men's day protest as well then or

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Lost implants

I'm walking out against massive women's protests.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

bluewolf wrote: »
    are you starting the international men's day protest as well then or

Certainly not. That would be equally sexist. Gender protests of all varieties are a despicable thing, and protesting against them to be supported.

After hours is the best advertising for why it's still needed. You will all be on bleating about men's day, nasty feminists and how women have it sooo easy .
    It would give you a pain in your hole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

Divide and conquer.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

Jesus...how can you debate with people who believe the Patriarchy is screwing women out of wages! Or that women aren't capable of toxic behaviour....it must be getting embarrassing for those male feminists!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

they should go protest the countries where women can't have a mass protest

After hours is the best advertising for why it's still needed. You will all be on bleating about men's day, nasty feminists and how women have it sooo easy .
    It would give you a pain in your hole.

No one has it easy.

Women however, despite not being able to elect feminists in a democratic manner, have access to way more power and influence than they deserve...all because, the most privileged people on this planet, middle to upper class white women in the developed world... have been convinced that they have been oppressed by the magical, omni present "Patriarchy"...you couldn't make this up!

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Metroid diorteM

The male feminists and the feminazis are welcome to hit the streets.

The rest of us (women and men) might actually get some work done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

they should go protest the countries where women can't have a mass protest

Or at least their embassies.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭rgodard80a

An end to gender-based violence and harassment

Well Valentines Day perpetuates the tradition of men harassing women with anonymous mail.

I've no problem with that being cancelled.

Although in fairness, the feminazis probably don't encounter that anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

I asked my bird if she is attending. She said, and I quote, 'not if that cúnt Ruth Coppinger has organised it'.

Feminazis....that didn’t take too long.

Can that be a new Godwin rule?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

I genuinely thought this was a Waterford whispers type skit when I read it earlier..

What gender pay gap are they protesting about ?

And how is a protest going to stop “gender based harassment” whatever that is..

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Do the "precarious working conditions" in the OP refer to womens' deaths in construction or farming?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Feminazis....that didn’t take too long.

WhY aRenT You a GarBagE mAn???!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭rgodard80a

Do the "precarious working conditions" in the OP refer to womens' deaths in construction or farming?

I think accidents in the home probably outnumber those.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

The leaders of the wimmins marches in the US like some dodgy characters.
    https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2018/03/womens-march/555122/

Then there was this one, went so far into self parody it's coming around for a second lap.
    https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/women%E2%80%99s-march-cancelled-over-diversity-fears/ar-BBRAX2T

• Registered Users Posts: 23,650 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

No one has it easy.

Women however, despite not being able to elect feminists in a democratic manner, have access to way more power and influence than they deserve...all because, the most privileged people on this planet, middle to upper class white women in the developed world... have been convinced that they have been oppressed by the magical, omni present "Patriarchy"...you couldn't make this up!

And yet making things up is what you appear to have just done?

Now, I’m not a feminist, and as soon as I saw the mention of Ruth Coppinger in the article in the opening post, I sighed and eye rolled. Thankfully, I do not imagine Ms. Coppinger represents, or speaks for the female demographic in Ireland, let alone Western society.

So that kinda begs the question for me regarding your comment that “women... have access to way more power and influence than they deserve”, how much power and influence do you imagine half the members of any given society should have exactly if we were to balance the distribution of power and influence solely upon sex?

I would say each should represent their own, so I don’t have any issue with women representing themselves, whatever their politics. I also object to the likes of an idiot with a plastic bag on his head portraying himself as the equivalent of Ruth Coppinger for men, but again I’m aware that there are men who identify with the idiot in the same way as there are women who identify with idiots. I don’t consider either of those representatives a credible threat to Irish society is all, so if they want to make exhibitions of themselves, let them off. They can be safely ignored.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 jonny74ie

They lose credibility by shoehorning the gender pay gap in with serious issues like sexual violence.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,073 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Captain Marvel first lead Woman Marvel film is released that day obviously it being international we hate men day it's not surprising I'll be hiding out in the bandit cave as I wanna keep my balls intact.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

A call for mass walkout protest for international women's day to end
    Ooh, controversial!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭bubbles o hara

Load of nonsense. Most, in fact all, sensible women want nothing to do with this bunch of man hating loons. I'm married to a wonderful man; some of my best friends are male; I like it when a man holds a door open for me or treats me like a lady. And quite frankly,it's sickening to see how all men are being demonized for the actions of a few.

I need some brandy now.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,792 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Are they protesting the treatment of Mary Robinson, Frances Fitzgerald and Noirin O'Sullivan?
    Do they know who Elizabeth Dunne, Iseult O'Malley & Mary Finlay Geoghegan are?

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement

And yet making things up is what you appear to have just done?

Now, I’m not a feminist, and as soon as I saw the mention of Ruth Coppinger in the article in the opening post, I sighed and eye rolled. Thankfully, I do not imagine Ms. Coppinger represents, or speaks for the female demographic in Ireland, let alone Western society.

So that kinda begs the question for me regarding your comment that “women... have access to way more power and influence than they deserve”, how much power and influence do you imagine half the members of any given society should have exactly if we were to balance the distribution of power and influence solely upon sex?

I would say each should represent their own, so I don’t have any issue with women representing themselves, whatever their politics. I also object to the likes of an idiot with a plastic bag on his head portraying himself as the equivalent of Ruth Coppinger for men, but again I’m aware that there are men who identify with the idiot in the same way as there are women who identify with idiots. I don’t consider either of those representatives a credible threat to Irish society is all, so if they want to make exhibitions of themselves, let them off. They can be safely ignored.

By access to power I am referring to the many many well funded (taxpayer funded) lobby groups that pile pressure on Government Ministers to fund their causes, which is one reason why an abused husband has no where to go and an abused wife has way more options.

A woman in this country has better access to education, health and justice than a man in this country....surely in an egalitarian state this would not happen!

Now, I don't believe is has gotten as bad here as it is in other countries like the US, but with weak willed ministers like Harris, and Mitchell O'Connor anything is possible.

Gender quotas, which are manifestly undemocratic have been implemented across this state and most other states in the developed world....I assure you, I am not making anything up!

Advertisement