Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Transporting Kayak and Paddle

• 27-08-2018 7:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭

I bought a Sit On Top Kayak during the summer and have transported it on the roof bars of my car each time I've used it so far. However on all occasions I was travelling alone in the car just put the paddle in the car with me.

In the future I'll be travelling with the kids etc and I'm just wondering is there a safe and easy way to attach the paddle to the roof rack with the kayak as it is awkward having it in the car when it is more than just me in there.

I've looked on Youtube but the videos I've found are just for strapping down the kayak.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

I would generally put the paddle resting on the roof bars beside the boat. Assuming that the curve of the boat sitting on the bars creates enough gap to allow this.

Once the straps are pulled tight it doesn't matter if the paddle is slightly loose as the blade can't make it through the gap between the bars, boat and strap. You can then loop excess strap around paddle shaft and tie off to remove remaining movement so it doesn't rattle when driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Dowee

Thanks for that, I'll test that out!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Grassey wrote: »
    I would generally put the paddle resting on the roof bars beside the boat. Assuming that the curve of the boat sitting on the bars creates enough gap to allow this.

Once the straps are pulled tight it doesn't matter if the paddle is slightly loose as the blade can't make it through the gap between the bars, boat and strap. You can then loop excess strap around paddle shaft and tie off to remove remaining movement so it doesn't rattle when driving.

Better again do as above and put one wrap of strap around paddle shaft as you start (near the rachet). Don'd do the wrap near the end of tying as it could stop you getting the strap tight.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Dowee

Better again do as above and put one wrap of strap around paddle shaft as you start (near the rachet). Don'd do the wrap near the end of tying as it could stop you getting the strap tight.

Thanks for that!

Advertisement