Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Orange Order as a source of family information

Options
  • 17-05-2015 12:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭

While doing some family history research I have discovered that someone I'm researching was in the Orange Order in Belfast in the early part of the 20th century.

I was wondering if anyone has ever approached the OO about details of their past membership. I guess that this would probably be a sensitive subject and that there may be a reluctance to release this information, if it exists.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,622 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

They've featured on at least one episode of WDYTYA, so they'll divulge info to researchers with TV companies behind them at the least. You may need to go up in person as I'd say they'd be much more reluctant to give info without actually meeting the person they're giving it to.

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Coolnabacky1873

Interesting post, OP. I've worked with some Irish fraternal organization records here in the US. Probably the main types of extant records that you can hope for are membership applications, meeting minutes, and any possible insurance schemes that Order members might have participated in.

Older local newspapers might have reported on meetings and give a list of those in attendance, their position titles, etc.

See also if there is any central repository/archive for the documentation of the Orange Order. A total guess, but maybe somewhere like the Linen Hall Library or Presbyterian Historical Society.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Tullyneasky

Might be worth contacting the North of Ireland Family History Society as an early port of call. I'm sure they'd know how/who to approach. They may even have some records in their Research Library.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭William F

I have but no luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭William F

The orange order discovered King William's Book of Accounts in Belfast City Hall in 2012. I have no idea why they are allowed keep it and not asked to turn it over to the state.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 cat_r

There are two recently opened museums, one in belfast and one in Loughgall.
    The listing on the Visit-Belfast tourism website says they cover family history.
    I can't post links yet but look for: OrangeHeritage .co .uk

It seems the Belfast one has an archive. The email address is: info @ orangeheritage .co .uk

Advertisement