Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virgin 5 euro a month Mobile offer is back

• 13-11-2020 9:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,610 ✭✭✭✭

Virgin €5 a month for 6 months on a 30 day contract which gives you unlimited data, calls and texts.
    However you may not get SMS verification texts from Banks, Paypal and so on.
    There have been problems before with people not getting the texts.
    https://www.virginmedia.ie/mobile/sim-only/#/intcmp=HPRedFriSIMO

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭luketitz

okidoki987 wrote: »
    Virgin €5 a month for 6 months on a 30 day contract which gives you unlimited data, calls and texts.

Quality, just what I needed thanks OP!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,610 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

If you have TV or Broadband with them you can order up to 4 Sims, if not, you can order 2 Sims.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭jdon72

Do they stick to the 80Gb monthly cap or not?

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭djr15

Can this be used in conjunction with a 4G router for Mobile broadband?

And is the unlimited broadband truly unlimited?

If not any idea what the limit is?

TIA

jdon72 wrote: »
    Do they stick to the 80Gb monthly cap or not?

According to the site, "any usage over 80GB will result in limited speeds".
    When I had a Virgin Sim, I never noticed any major difference when I went over 80GB.

• Advertisement

djr15 wrote: »

And is the unlimited broadband truly unlimited?

If not any idea what the limit is?

TIA

80GB according to the website, anything over this may see reduced speeds.
    No idea how they can get away with advertising it as unlimited and then they put a fair usage limit of 10,000 texts or minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭crazy 88

Have they acknowledged that these types of texts get blocked and are they fixing it do you know?

crazy 88 wrote: »
    Have they acknowledged that these types of texts get blocked and are they fixing it do you know?

Yes.
    They have known about it for well over 6 months but still not fixed as of the last time I checked a couple of months ago.
    It's a cracking deal if you can survive without the texts if they don't work.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,881 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Been on this for past 2 months. All texts from banks etc coming through without issue.

GBX wrote: »
    Been on this for past 2 months. All texts from banks etc coming through without issue.

Seems to be fairly random, I didn't get the verification texts but I know others who did.
    I thought it was a great service and good coverage for the price but needed the texts from the banks so had to change.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,742 ✭✭✭DopeTech

While this isn't a bad deal it's worth thinking long term, after the 6 months you will be paying way more and the offers that are available on other networks now may not still be there. E.g 48.ie €7.99 a month for life for unlimited calls, texts and 100gb data and 10gb eu data.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭pjproby

I have no issue getting texts from Banka/paypal etc on virgin Mobile.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭jonnyatomic

Just FYI for any current virgin customers, I was thinking of switching recently and gave them a call, they offered me the offer at the time of €15/mth for 12 months down from the €25/mth I was paying, on a rolling contact. So may be worth chancing them for the €5/mth. Also I've never had any issues with getting bank texts etc..

DopeTech wrote: »
    While this isn't a bad deal it's worth thinking long term, after the 6 months you will be paying way more and the offers that are available on other networks now may not still be there. E.g 48.ie €7.99 a month for life for unlimited calls, texts and 100gb data and 10gb eu data.

You could say that for all the offers out there, 6 months is a long time down the road.
    Some of the 48/Gomo etc offers may or may not last the next 6 months but you are still getting unlimited all for 6 months at €5 a month which is cheapest out there by far.
    In 6 months time you can move to whoever is cheapest then.
    As it's a 30 day contract, if you wanted to jump ship anytime within the 6 months, you can.
    6 months Virgin is €30, there are people paying that with Vodafone per month!

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭bondja80

what network they use? Three?

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭jonnyatomic

bondja80 wrote: »
    what network they use? Three?

Yes three network, I live in the back arse of nowhere and I have excellent 4G coverage here.

You could say that for all the offers out there, 6 months is a long time down the road.
    Some of the 48/Gomo etc offers may or may not last the next 6 months but you are still getting unlimited all for 6 months at €5 a month which is cheapest out there by far.
    In 6 months time you can move to whoever is cheapest then.
    As it's a 30 day contract, if you wanted to jump ship anytime within the 6 months, you can.
    6 months Virgin is €30, there are people paying that with Vodafone per month!

My point there probably won't be a 7.99 offer on the market in 6 months

DopeTech wrote: »
    My point there probably won't be a 7.99 offer on the market in 6 months

Why not?
    Who would have said 6 months ago we would have the current offers around now?
    A bit of competition is always welcome. :D.

Yes three network, I live in the back arse of nowhere and I have excellent 4G coverage here.
    I am on three now, good coverage, but from 18h-00h speed is slow only 2-5 mbps, in the morning and late in the night good speed 50mbps.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭jdon72

Why not?

Well the 48 deal goes in January so might be a safer option

• Advertisement

jdon72 wrote: »
    Well the 48 deal goes in January so might be a safer option

It's just been extended by 2 months so who knows.

Why not?

One can hope but I don't see this being extended beyond January. Why would they when they have nobody undercutting them. Over time 5g should bring 4g only plans down but we could be waiting.

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭questionmark

New customers only I guess ?

New customers only I guess ?

If you are on Virgin mobile, just call them and say you are thinking of leaving (48/Gomo) due to price and they should give you that offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,102 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

If you are on Virgin mobile, just call them and say you are thinking of leaving (48/Gomo) due to price and they should give you that offer.

They wouldn't for me, tried a couple of months ago when they had 12 months @ €15 and I was paying €25 after previous 6 months @ €5 had run out. Said it was for new customers only and wouldn't budge so now with 48 paying €7.99.

They wouldn't for me, tried a couple of months ago when they had 12 months @ €15 and I was paying €25 after previous 6 months @ €5 had run out. Said it was for new customers only and wouldn't budge so now with 48 paying €7.99.

With me they offered to reduce my monthly cost to the offer that was on at the time when I rang up to cancel.
    Told them unless they sorted my SMS text problem, I was off, they didn't so I left.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,334 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Had this before. Couldn't never get data anywhere in Dublin. Whether in the city centre or the airport.
    Gave up and went back to eircom.

I got today sim card, and speeds are 20% slower compered to three prepaid 20e top up every 28 days. On three ping was 18-20, and here ping is 68 70. Don't know why, they use same network.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,452 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Am I right in saying that this offer also applies to existing customers?

I've been on the €25 a month rolling 30 Day Plan since signing up to the €5 a month offer for 6 months and €25 thereafter way back in 2018.

The offer wasn't available to existing customers once they had already availed of it.

However it seems existing customers can actually get it for €5 a month now?

Virgin Mobile - Compare Sim Only Plans
    Existing Customer Offer - €5 for 6 months

Also just to say, I've been using Virgin Mobile daily for the last two years now and I have never had an issue with getting verification texts.

• Advertisement

Am I right in saying that this offer also applies to existing customers?

I've been on the €25 a month rolling 30 Day Plan since signing up to the €5 a month offer for 6 months and €25 thereafter way back in 2018.

The offer wasn't available to existing customers once they had already availed of it.

However it seems existing customers can actually get it for €5 a month now?

Virgin Mobile - Compare Sim Only Plans

Also just to say, I've been using Virgin Mobile daily for the last two years now and I have never had an issue with getting verification texts.

Ring them and if you can't get the offer, tell them you will cancel.
    They should give it to you then, if they don't, leave and rejoin again in a months time as it's a 30 day contract.
    €5 a month totally unlimited for 6 months is great value.

The verification text problem seems to be random, I couldn't get them but one of my friends could.

Advertisement