Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Golf store in Dundrum

• 29-11-2008 8:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭

Howdy folks,
    Im headin to the dundrum town centre today with the missus and am just wondering if there is any decent golf shop in/near the centre??

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 3,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Myksyk

There's a golf creche in the Dundrum Centre. A small shop situated in one of the car parks. Nothing to ring home about. There was another shop near the Taney Bridge but it's closed now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭Benny Cake

Myksyk wrote: »
    There's a golf creche in the Dundrum Centre. A small shop situated in one of the car parks. Nothing to ring home about. There was another shop near the Taney Bridge but it's closed now.

would i be as well off to make the trip across to mcguirks in blanch??

• Registered Users Posts: 7,578 ✭✭✭uberwolf

nearby you have a McGuirks in Leopardstown, and decent store in the Leopardstown driving range,

You also have Green 18 between dundrum and leopardstown which is prob worth a visit. Online cheaper through.

http://www.green18.ie/

http://www.mcguirksgolf.com/pages/retail-stores-amp-opening-hours-g-2.html

http://www.leopardstown.com/Content/Leopardstown/LeopFacilities.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Mister Sifter

The Golf Creche is pretty rubbish, but worth a look if only to get away from the missus for 10 mins and out of the madness that will be Dundrum today. McGuirks in Leapordstown is as good as the one in Blanch so i'd take a run there if there;s time.

Will certainly be alot cheaper than the creche. Customer service is generally shocking in both though unfortunately in my experience.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,550 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

it's a small shop in the centre but nice to have it there to drop into. Got a good deal on a couple of ping tops there in the past and picked up some balls also.

• Advertisement

Some good deals on balls in there at the minute... 35 euro for a dozen Taylor made TP red and also a dozen of the Nike One. ProV's are 40 i think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 ehutchroi

Save yourself from the joke which is Mc Guirks Golf !
    Your best bet for golf shops in the dublin area is American Golf in Tallaght.
    They are by far the cheapest shop around.
    Got my brand new 2009 52 degree oil can spin milled Titleist Vokey Wedge custom fitted with Multi Compound grip for 99euro.
    When I priced around Mc Guirks were 139euro for the old model!

Mc Guirks staff were shocking and there after sales service was non-existant after my Lite shaft in my Cobra didnt suit me. ( turned out i needed a stiff)

When American Golf custom fitted me for my new Mizuno MX-200's, the staff were very helpful and made sure I got the right club for me.
    I got my clubs a week later for 549euro (very competitive)

When I asked about different options in Mc Guirks I was told these clubs were "nice"

Have been shopping in American Golf ever since Premier in Ballymount closed

Do not bother yourself passing the doors of Mc Guirks.

ehutchroi wrote: »
    Save yourself from the joke which is Mc Guirks Golf !
    Your best bet for golf shops in the dublin area is American Golf in Tallaght.
    They are by far the cheapest shop around.
    Got my brand new 2009 52 degree oil can spin milled Titleist Vokey Wedge custom fitted with Multi Compound grip for 99euro.

Mc Guirks staff were shocking and there after sales service was non-existant after my Lite shaft in my Cobra didnt suit me. ( turned out i needed a stiff)

When American Golf custom fitted me for my new Mizuno MX-200's, the staff were very helpful and made sure I got the right club for me.
    I got my clubs a week later for 549euro (very competitive)

When I asked about different options in Mc Guirks I was told these clubs were "nice"

Have been shopping in American Golf ever since Premier in Ballymount closed

Do not bother yourself passing the doors of Mc Guirks.

I was only ever in it once and found it to be really good. It didn't have the selection that say McGuirks in Blanch would have, but the service was first class. Although the selection and stock probably wasn't just as good as McGuirks, they did offer to order stuff in. Do they still have the price match policy?

When i was there they did. They said they'd match anyone's price on anything within a certain distance (i think 90 miles).

The only reason i don't use it more is that it's in a bad location for me.

Ye price match policy still in place but to be honest its almost needless as they are so cheap.
    There orders are usually in before a week and their service is unbeatable!

I travel from Swords whenever i am buying stuff because i know the lads will look after me!

• Subscribers Posts: 16,550 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

lets calm it down a bit, they aren't that cheap, in fact I've never bought anything from
    them that was particularly cheap and they are often much dearer than other shops for the newer clubs.

take this as a friendly warning, pushing the same retailer all the time when you have so few posts is suspicious. You are now on the radar as a possible shill. No more pushing of any shop.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Sandwich

Prices in American Golf nothing special at all in my experience. Expensive if anything and stock of woods especially, not a patch on McGuirks. All the big stores are much of a muchness pricewise. Halpenny Golf in Swords best if anywhere at the mo. Better to go north : sterling at 83p today!

Sandwich wrote: »
    Prices in American Golf nothing special at all in my experience. Expensive if anything and stock of woods especially, not a patch on McGuirks. All the big stores are much of a muchness pricewise. Halpenny Golf in Swords best if anywhere at the mo. Better to go north : sterling at 83p today!

Better than that... 93p!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Sandwich

Thanks for the correction,93p indeed!

copacetic wrote: »
    lets calm it down a bit, they aren't that cheap, in fact I've never bought anything from
    them that was particularly cheap and they are often much dearer than other shops for the newer clubs.

take this as a friendly warning, pushing the same retailer all the time when you have so few posts is suspicious. You are now on the radar as a possible shill. No more pushing of any shop.

Oh sorry copacetic!!!!
    If u had the same expierience i had with mc guirk a couple of years ago u wud not come on here criticising me like that. Work out in lucan so do my business on the southside. Used to shop with golf works beside the hermitage and then they closed down, aswell as premier at the red cow so what option am i left with? shop wit overpriced club pro!

I just happened to find them cheaper and more helpful!

I'm guessing u like everybody else u have a preference for a certain retailer like ie dunnes over tesco or d.i.d over currys!

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Boden08

copacetic wrote: »

New member here also Copacetic.
    I did post a few days back looking for advice on club repair but didn't get any response. (Maybe anyone with low post count is deemed dodgy!) I've since found the new shop in Spawell very helpful with the job.
    I just want to back up the other rookie in that I was looking at a set of Mx 25's in American Golf Sale today and they were 100 euro cheaper than McGurks online price.
    I also had a very helpful experience when I bought a Ping Driver G5 there before which was about 30 euro cheaper than McGurks, and most significantly they changed the club when I wasn't happy with the shaft option they had in stock.
    I'm now undecided on what irons to buy as it seems a good time to buy and am considering so many I'd welcome recommendations on product and locations. I've looked online up north, but not sure if they're all that much cheaper than sales down here.
    Would appreciate some input on best buys or bargain spots - I've been playing with old McGregors (graphite shaft) and I hit it fairly straight for a 12 handicapper, but am poor on the short game.
    Would be keen to hear of some where one can test drive them too, as McGurks are gone out of Celbridge I believe...

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Boden08

Took a trip out to Blanch and found the in-store McGurk price was the exact same as American Golf - suspicious or coincidence?
    Think I'll check out the North to see if there any better, as I'm still unsure about buying them online - anyone any experience of buying clubs over the border?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Xander1971

I found American Golf excellent too, price is good but nothing mad cheap but always a discount thrown in, service always really good. I buy all my gear from them now, new Volkey 58 oil can on the way at the mo.

(Way too quick to judge the newbie copacetic! There's monitoring then there's monitoring, bit of a rush of power to the head me thinks.)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,960 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Id have to +1 the comment about service from McGuirks in Leopardstown.
    There is one guy who makes an effort (tall with glasses I think, he might be some sort of manager) but the the younger fellas are shocking. Chinos and polo shirt dont make you a good sales person, even in a golf shop lads!

Went into AmericanGolf before and they were friendly and helpful just didnt have what I wanted. They do have a computerised net that you can demo clubs in also.
    Havent been to the new spawell shop, the old one was...interesting.

The golf store in taney was weird, you could walk in and get some crazy deals on clubs. Im not sure that they always knew what they had and/or what it was worth.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭ShriekingSheet

GreeBo wrote: »
    Id have to +1 the comment about service from McGuirks in Leopardstown.
    There is one guy who makes an effort (tall with glasses I think, he might be some sort of manager) but the the younger fellas are shocking. Chinos and polo shirt dont make you a good sales person, even in a golf shop lads!

Went into AmericanGolf before and they were friendly and helpful just didnt have what I wanted. They do have a computerised net that you can demo clubs in also.
    Havent been to the new spawell shop, the old one was...interesting.

The golf store in taney was weird, you could walk in and get some crazy deals on clubs. Im not sure that they always knew what they had and/or what it was worth.

Yes, I feel the same about the younger staff in McGuirks Leopardstown. They seem to have that kind of "what would you know, you're just a hacker" attitude. One guy called Ryan was good, a +3 h'cap himself but he's since left.

The new one in Spawell is erm... also intersting. Especially interesting is that the old putter part (as you come in the door on your right) is now a barbers! There's no wall or anything, just people getting their haircut on what used to be the artificial putting green! The new shop is where the old little arcade was - very small. Havn't been in it tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭Miley Byrne

ehutchroi wrote: »

I didn't realise that Titleist were bringing out a Spin Milled version in 52 degree ehutchroi?

Is that a new version for '09? Cos up to now they were only available spin milled from 54 degree up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭f22

denisoc16 wrote: »
    I didn't realise that Titleist were bringing out a Spin Milled version in 52 degree ehutchroi?

Is that a new version for '09? Cos up to now they were only available spin milled from 54 degree up.

48 degrees up

• Registered Users Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭Miley Byrne

f22 wrote: »
    48 degrees up

Is that new for '09 F22 or was a 48 and 52 degree available in Spin milled last year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 DublinToby

There is a new American Golf store opening in Dundrum at the end of June / start of July !!

I should know, I am hoping to get a job in it and should find out next Tuesday :)

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Par72

DublinToby wrote: »
    There is a new American Golf store opening in Dundrum at the end of June / start of July !!

I should know, I am hoping to get a job in it and should find out next Tuesday :)

Best of luck Toby. It will be good to have another place to get golf stuff.

Advertisement