Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Expired drivers licence

• 28-11-2011 2:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭

Just got stopped by the guards and figured out I have an Expired drivers licence by 2 and half months. Guard told me not to drive on it. Lucky I was right beside my gaf. Do I need to redo my driving test for a renewed license?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Compton

no you dont need to re-do it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭Biscuits16

rodrob111 wrote: »
    Just got stopped by the guards and figured out I have an Expired drivers licence by 2 and half months. Guard told me not to drive on it. Lucky I was right beside my gaf. Do I need to redo my driving test for a renewed license?
    Nope no need for a re-test, is the Guard bringing you to court?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,812 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

rodrob111 wrote: »

Is it an expired full licence or learners permit?

AFAIK you are fine to drive for up to 10 years on an expired licence. I know several people who where stopped with expired licences and allowed to continue, so not letting you drive on must be new.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭cloneslad

Del2005 wrote: »

AFAIK you are fine to drive for up to 10 years on an expired licence. I know several people who where stopped with expired licences and allowed to continue, so not letting you drive on must be new.

Isn't it a certain number of years to replace an expired licence, rather than you can drive on it for a certain number of years.

When it expires, renew it...or preferably a short time before it will expire.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,979 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

I would have said that it was a Gardai's use of discretion that allowed them to drive away rather then the law.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Gophur

I............

AFAIK you are fine to drive for up to 10 years on an expired licence. ............

:D:D:D:D:D

An expired licence = no licence

It is illegal to drive without a licence. You are NOT fine to drive on an expired licence, not even for 10 seconds, let alone 10 years. The Garda discretion is a different matter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

cloneslad wrote: »
    Isn't it a certain number of years to replace an expired licence, rather than you can drive on it for a certain number of years.

When it expires, renew it...or preferably a short time before it will expire.

Not been smart here, but once it's expired your without a licence. I say it varys from Garda to Garda, although you could be done for driving without a valid licence.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1961/en/act/pub/0024/sec0038.html#sec38
    38.—(1) A person shall not drive a mechanically propelled vehicle in a public place unless he holds a driving licence for the time being having effect and licensing him to drive the vehicle.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,088 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

msg11 wrote: »
    Not been smart here, but once it's expired your without a licence. I say it varys from Garda to Garda, although you could be done for driving without a valid licence.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1961/en/act/pub/0024/sec0038.html#sec38

And the most ridiculous thing is that you have only 3 months to renew it (from 3 months before expiry date to that date).

If you can't do it in that period, you will end up without valid licence.

F.E if you are gone for longer holidays, or maybe abroad for few months or a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭rodrob111

Guard was sound although he did say if I wasnt 100m from my gaf he couldn't let me drive off. Got my license renewed today in the tax office, 2 and a half months out of date. Forgot to ask how long I had to renew it. Really lucky bein stopped to be honest as wouldnt have realised the license was out of date otherwise.

Advertisement