Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Fire at Notre Dame Cathedral in Paris

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Genuinely the first time I've ever reported a video on Youtube. That's just plain dangerous and innocent people could get hurt by those who believe it's real.

At least it's a good example of the fake crap that's going around to push an agenda

• Registered Users Posts: 11,341 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Looking at photos seems the interior mostly survived which is amazing considering the ferocity of the fire.

In comparison Longford cathedral was completely gutted inside with the 1,100 degree celsius heat melting the marble columns

St-Mels-3-301x400.jpg

0009e904-500.jpg

Overheal wrote: »
    Do you have to ask.
    It would be easier to understand if people were just pretending it's real to push their agenda, that any one is stupid enough to believe that's real or funny is tough

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Wow ..

this:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

gozunda wrote: »
    Wow ..

this:
    Ah Phillip karsenty. Of course fox would interview him.

• Advertisement

Ah Phillip karsenty. Of course fox would interview him.

And they shut him up!

Fox!

Wow ..

this:

Check the name of the speaker, google who he is and tell us something about him, what he might be famous for

I already did btw

• Registered Users Posts: 35,568 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

rossie1977 wrote: »
    Looking at photos seems the interior mostly survived which is amazing considering the ferocity of the fire.

In comparison Longford cathedral was completely gutted inside with the 1,100 degree celsius heat melting the marble columns

St-Mels-3-301x400.jpg

0009e904-500.jpg

The scaffolding created a would be grate for the roof, it burned so rich with all the air doing through it that the inside of the Cathedral had very little debris.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,547 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

Wow ..

this:

I'm not sure Philippe Karsenty is an accurate source of information.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

Wow ..

this:

Well done, Shep! I doubt Sean Hannity or Jeanine Pirro would have shut him up!!

• Advertisement

rossie1977 wrote: »

St-Mels-3-301x400.jpg

0009e904-500.jpg

This:

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/born-again-st-mel-s-cathedral-restored-to-longford-for-christmas-1.2035687

I'm not sure Philippe Karsenty is an accurate source of information.

And that's not what I said...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

30 million insurance payout and it was to go again

Tis strange Notre Dame burned the day no workers were there and all the copper statues were removed from the roof - works in mysterious ways n stuff

Check the name of the speaker, google who he is and tell us something about him, what he might be famous for

I know who he is btw. Thanks ....

Presume much?

I know who he is btw. Thanks ....

Sorry if I got you wrong, just a lot of agenda stuff tonight it's hard to tell

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

Laois_Man wrote: »
    A small Allahu Akbar gang knocked a bit of craic out of it anyway

Oh for god's sake this is an obvious hoax.

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/janelytvynenko/notre-dame-hoaxes?fbclid=IwAR0ZhyuOOEXxrVs1i93af1Im5rr0e3xkQrsCiEE9kmTVTUYM6O19rOgvH1I
    "Multiple versions of this hoax video spread across social media after the fire. However, a Google search for "allahu akbar shouting" returns an old video which includes the same audio used in Monday's Notre Dame footage."

P.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Twenty Grand

gctest50 wrote: »
    30 million insurance payout and it was to go again

Tis strange Notre Dame burned the day no workers were there and all the copper statues were removed from the roof - works in mysterious ways n stuff

Conspiracy theories already? :rolleyes:

I'm sure there were hundreds of other treasures in the cathedral that just went up in smoke.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Carry

At least the first donations for rebuilding Notre-Dame are coming in.
    Pinault, one of the richest men in France, already promised 100 million Euros.

The Fondation du patrimoine (French heritage foundation) set up an international donation account: https://twitter.com/fond_patrimoine
    https://don.fondation-patrimoine.org/SauvonsNotreDame/~mon-don

There will be European money, of course, it's after all not only a World Heritage Site but a European symbol like no other. There seems to be already talk in Germany to set up a fund.

I'm sure money won't be a problem to rebuilt this jewel eventually. And trust the French that they won't allow it to be an "investor's project".

I dare to dream that this disaster might bring a torn nation together again. Always the optimist....

gozunda wrote:
    And that's not what I said...

You didn't say anything?

You didn't say anything?

Exactly. Except to make an exclamation of the interview by Fox!

You seemed to interpret that as somehow voting for the interviewee!
    I 'm not sure Philippe Karsenty is an accurate source of information.

• Advertisement

gozunda wrote:
    You seemed to interpret that as somehow voting for the interviewee!

Or I was referring to the fact he was being interviewed in the first place.

Or I was referring to the fact he was being interviewed in the first place.

My point! Fox shut him down fairly quickly one way or the other!

I never knew Fox to be so discerning tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

I'm sure there were hundreds of other treasures in the cathedral that just went up in smoke.

It was in ribbons :

An insight as to its disrepair.

With the following news stories we will have to excuse them tbh lol ...;)

4 days ago ...

https://www.thejournal.ie/france-jails-jihadist-woman-accused-over-foiled-terror-attack-in-paris-4590216-Apr2019/

Today ...

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/apr/15/notre-dame-fire-youtube-panels-show-9-11-attacks

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

Carry wrote: »
    At least the first donations for rebuilding Notre-Dame are coming in.
    Pinault, one of the richest men in France, already promised 100 million Euros.

The Fondation du patrimoine (French heritage foundation) set up an international donation account: https://twitter.com/fond_patrimoine
    https://don.fondation-patrimoine.org/SauvonsNotreDame/~mon-don

There will be European money, of course, it's after all not only a World Heritage Site but a European symbol like no other. There seems to be already talk in Germany to set up a fund.

I'm sure money won't be a problem to rebuilt this jewel eventually. And trust the French that they won't allow it to be an "investor's project".

I dare to dream that this disaster might bring a torn nation together again. Always the optimist....

According to a few news reports, there also was a lot of American donations in the past to French heritage projects.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Zorya

Looks like they got off lucky.

The French don't seem to have any suitable helicopters, looking at the list of Securite Civile inventory. They have fixed wing bombers which are certainly inappropriate.

There is a medium in between the SC's Ecureils and EC-145s which have basically no firefighting ability at all, and their fixed-wing water-bomber fleet, examples include Los Angeles' vetical drop Firehawks or Tokyo Fire Dept's cannon-equipped EC-225s. SC doesn't have that medium.

So, yes, the SC are correct to not be using their water bomber fleet. But as a major city with a number of buildings which ladder trucks can't get to, are they correct not to be having the middle ground, or is it just a budget thing? The reason FDNY had their firefighter helicopter request denied was simple dollars, not because it was a bad idea.

Yes, I didn't understand why people jumped so fast to criticise Trump suggesting flying water tankers. He may have gotten the lingo incorrect but surely there is some kind of smaller airborne fire fighting tech that could have been used if they had it?

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭shaneon77

Zorya wrote: »
    Yes, I didn't understand why people jumped so fast to criticise Trump suggesting flying water tankers. He may have gotten the lingo incorrect but surely there is some kind of smaller airborne fire fighting tech that could have been used if they had it?

Correct me if I am wrong but surely a hovering helicopter would hugely fan the flames in a contained fire such as the one we saw?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

Sad to see such a beautiful and historic building destroyed. Who knows how many works of art of have been lost.

I was lucky enough to be able to visit Notre Dame when I was in Paris in my early twenties. It was truly spectacular. I climbed one of the bell towers and the view was breathtaking. One of my favorite photos I took is of a stone gargoyle looking out over the city.

One can only hope it was accidental and not deliberate or as the result of negligence.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

shaneon77 wrote: »

Correct me if I am wrong but surely a hovering helicopter would hugely fan the flames in a contained fire such as the one we saw?
    The masonry vaulted ceilings under the roof remain intact (with the exception of a hole caused by the spire falling through ) thus saving the interior and artwork from being destroyed. Dumping large quantities of water onto that roof from above would have destroyed the ceiling and everything under it. According to some guy on Euronews early this morning, anyway.

The fire service knew exactly what they were trying to do and did it successfully which put one of them in hospital with serious injuries.

The Old Lady is still standing thanks to them and will be restored. She's a sorry sight this morning but she's with us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,381 ✭✭✭✭kippy

There are helicopters and planes that can be used in firefighting, however these are:
    1. Usually only used on forest/brush/gorse fires.
    2. Operate from a decent height.
    3. Would not usually be too accurate with here the water falls (and as such may miss the fire entirely and or causing more harm than good due to the inaccuracy of the water and weight of said water on wooden structure IF most of it fell on the Cathedral.

In addition to their impracticality for this issue, they would be used very rarely near Paris and I doubt any could be mobilised fast.

Advertisement