Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What practice/beliefs make you instantly lose respect for someone?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

People who imagine they are right but largely supported by half-heard, half-digested, mostly untrue factoids. Those and and the "everyone knows this is true" brigade.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,531 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

What ever happened to all the Reki healers from a decade back?

Perhaps like their patients they are deceased.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Volkswagen Golf drivers.

Fcukers driving in bus lanes.

Fcukers driving into yellow boxes

Fcukers breaking red lights

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Volkswagen Golf drivers.

Fcukers driving in bus lanes.

Fcukers driving into yellow boxes

Fcukers breaking red lights

Feel better now? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

as long as the belief dosnt define them then you should be able to have civil and respectful interactions with anyone. if its all they talk about then maybe not.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,065 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I find most people grand TBH. Even the weirdos. Sometimes especially the weirdos.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,682 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

People who contaminate the butter with toast crumbs or jam.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭TheDavester

Vegans and vegetarians
    Those who push religious beliefs and same with atheists who use it to bash religion - a ex friend of mine had gone hardcore atheist, constantly whinnying about religion, joining an atheist society, trying to round people up to join with him and even he hung out with me and other friend he kept trying to steer the conversation back to I hate religion.., (I’ve no problem people believing or not believing religion but the over pushing it either way is irritating)
    3rd wave feminists
    Gym enthusiasts
    Any type of influencers:- life coach / m- social media comedian
    Playing the victim role on social media
    People who think James Corden is funny

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 473 ✭✭Pissartist

People who smell of sweat all the time. Ffs can you not wash yourself and your clothes

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Lazy fcuktards who park in disabled parking spaces without a badge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,977 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Parents that curse far too regularly in front of their children, or indeed impart bad manners in general to same.

People who have genuine causes/appeals on facebook and the likes, but it is ruined by poor grammar or spelling mistakes.

Militant people whose only vocation in life seems to be hammering home the fact they have a particular lifestyle, be it vegan/gay/trans/pro-life. I mean you don't see a straight man constantly refer to his sexuality, or a meat eater harp on about their diet choice. Too much shouting from the rooftops gives bad publicity to your chosen field.

Grown men who wear soccer jersies to the pub. I can understand wearing an Ireland jersey when they are playing, likewise your county colours, but 40-year old Jayo from Blanchardstown wearing his favourite Liverpool/United kit in to his local just looks strange. Doubly so when they have a players name printed at the back.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,977 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Oh and adult women who cannot seem to fend for themselves and seem to post the most basic questions on facebook.

"Does any1 no wat tym the post office opens at?"

"Y does me car have n orange lite on it beside clock for the petrol?"

Usually posted in their pyjamas at 2Pm in the afternoon.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,577 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Pro lifers and people that aren't "dog" people!!!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,577 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Grown men who wear soccer jersies to the pub. I can understand wearing an Ireland jersey when they are playing, likewise your county colours, but 40-year old Jayo from Blanchardstown wearing his favourite Liverpool/United kit in to his local just looks strange. Doubly so when they have a players name printed at the back.

Worse still when youre in the middle of some far flung place abroad and you see someone wearing a GAA county Jersey--makes my blood boil!!!

Someone who recants a mantra to everyone who'll hear it:

"Every morning, I get up....do this....then this and I do it in that particular order, I then go out to my local gym... I then go to work...like clockwork..........................I'm such a slick cooldude"

:(:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭TheDavester

xieann wrote: »
    Someone who recants a mantra to everyone who'll hear it:

"Every morning, I get up....do this....then this and I do it in that particular order, I then go out to my local gym... I then go to work...like clockwork..........................I'm such a slick cooldude"

:(:mad:

Or those who like crap like live life laugh love or those inspirational quotes

People who assume that their way is the only way.
    People who judge others unfavorably for a belief system which they don't hold themselves.
    Lack of integrity particularly when it comes to what you say. Stand by your words. Even on here if you post something, maybe in the heat of the moment, don't delete it after you've had your meltdown. Own it. I lose all respect for those people.
    If you make it clear you dislike another person then please don't be all friendly and chatty with them the next day. Again no integrity.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭numbnutz

Dicks that think the way Conor McGregor behave is just an act...he's not he is actually a prick..with money...
    Drivers who insist the middle lane is for overtaking only...just **** off now with yourself the roads are beyond capacity for that ****e
    Indoctrination of religous beliefs on kids

• Registered Users Posts: 16,741 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

People who, irrationally, hate people who choose not to eat animal products, despite probably not actually knowing any.
    (I eat meat)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Anyone who has remotely similar views as G.O.D...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

micar wrote: »
    People who think Michael Jackson did nothing wrong.

i think the oposite. i dont know if he did anything or not , but i let the fact decide

not specifically talking about that case

people that see a program (not even a documentry) , read an article , newspaper , face book post etc and take it as fact instead of seee it as the 'authers' opinion.

too many people believe any old rubish they read and go around spreading it as fact.
    a neighbour of mine is like this. if the docter told her to use a cream everyday for a week , she would try it for 2 days then complain that its useless and the doc knows nothing. , but if someone posted up a hack on faebook about rubbing marmalade on your skin she would believe it and tell everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭Tacklebox

People triggered by their emotions in a debate rather staying on topic.

Lack of manners.

People insidiously laughing at someone rather laughing with them.

Tacklebox wrote: »

People insidiously laughing at someone rather laughing with them.

More common than you think, especially in the Irish working environment

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭Aceandstuff

Misogyny.
    Misandry.
    Racism.
    Believing absolutely everything they read on the internet.
    Refusing to accept the truth, be it scientific, historical, or just a minor piece of factual information. For instance, how my name is spelled. Don't tell me what my name is!
    Telling people they are at fault for getting an illness because of their beliefs or mindset. Nobody's self-doubt ever gave them cancer, but that's what some "spiritual" woo fans insist on believing...

Most people are decent and likeable enough even if I don't agree with their sometimes bizarre opinions.

Being rude or arrogant to service staff, speaking over people, deliberately not holding doors for people or offering a seat to someone who *obviously* needs it more, making everything about *you* and generally thinking you're the most important thing all time and in every situation...those are some of the things that make me avoid a person.

Impatience with the elderly or cruelty to children or animals flips my bitch-switch like nothing else, no coming back from that.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭Tacklebox

xieann wrote: »
    More common than you think, especially in the Irish working environment

I work with right rapscallions and it's easier to laugh with them, because they're just laughing amongst themselves.

It takes practice and eventually it'll be second nature to you.
    They'll like you all the more.

I hear you, I am not undermining the situation..

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

People who think physical discipline of children is ok

People who lack empathy

Anyone who supports discrimination

People who judge me. I don't care what someone thinks of me but when they are like a dog with a bone always mentioning certain things you do and can't shut up about it I can't deal with it

Candie wrote: »
    Most people are decent and likeable enough even if I don't agree with their sometimes bizarre opinions.

Being rude or arrogant to service staff, speaking over people, deliberately not holding doors for people or offering a seat to someone who *obviously* needs it more, making everything about *you* and generally thinking you're the most important thing all time and in every situation...those are some of the things that make me avoid a person.

Impatience with the elderly or cruelty to children or animals flips my bitch-switch like nothing else, no coming back from that.

I hold doors for all - men, women (not a patriarchal oppressor) and children. A simple "thank you" generally suffices. Entitled cases don't acknowledge.

I hold doors for all - men, women (not a patriarchal oppressor) and children. A simple "thank you" generally suffices. Entitled cases don't acknowledge.

I do too (not a matriarchal oppressor), and if it's ignored I say 'Pardon?' and most will remember their manners. If they don't, they go on the secret list.

I like manners, they're important.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭LadySkunk

Not liking animals, any form of discrimination, thinking their above or better than others and placing too much value on money

Advertisement