Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Bellator/WSOF/One FC etc events Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

Mellor wrote: »
    I’ve seen guys on 2k/2k

You would figure that with them being owned by Viacom and looking to compete with the UFC they would up the purses.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,995 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

JohnMc1 wrote: »
    You would figure that with them being owned by Viacom and looking to compete with the UFC they would up the purses.
    What would that achieve, from a business point of view?
    Undercard guys are just filler content. Nobody is tuning into belator early prelims for the quality of fighter. Paying the same unknown fighters 8k instead of 2k changes nothing in terms of the viewer.

They should pay more because $2k is an unacceptable entry point for an international promotion. But Viacoms POV, its just lost profit, it won't make them more competitive

• Registered Users Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I’ve seen guys on 2k/2k

No doubt sure the there is fighters on as low as 8/8 on the prelim cards of Vegas UFC PPVs.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,858 ✭✭✭cletus

Are you sure? I thought minimum pay on new contracts in the UFC had come up to 12/12, if not more.

Could be mistaken, mind. It did happen that one other time...

cletus wrote: »
    Are you sure? I thought minimum pay on new contracts in the UFC had come up to 12/12, if not more.

Its still **** either way.

• Advertisement

cletus wrote: »

Increased to 10k and then 12k I believe.
    Plus Reebok/Media money, so a call up to the UFC is worth about 15k at a minimum.
    rob316 wrote: »
    Its still **** either way.

It's not great for a professional athele who has taken years to get there. But it's 10 times the Belator minimum, that was the point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Wayne Jarvis

The pay for Bellator 226. $1200/1200 seems to be the baseline for the no name fighters.

EEILNCrU0AEXVGM.png
    EEIQsyQUEAAftAY.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Wayne Jarvis

And the payouts for Bellator 228

MAIN CARD

Gegard Mousasi: $150,000 (no win bonus)
    def. Lyoto Machida: $150,000 Patricio Freire: $200,000 (no win bonus)
    def. Juan Archuleta $75,000 A.J. McKee: $50,000 (no win bonus)
    def. Georgi Karakhanyan: $30,000 Darrion Caldwell: $125,000 (no win bonus)
    def. Henry Corrales: $30,000 Daniel Weichel: $80,000 (includes $40,000 win bonus)
    def. Saul Rogers: $20,000

PRELIMINARY CARD

Adrian Najera: $2,400 (includes $1,200 win bonus)
    def. Jason Edwards: $1,200 Benji Gomez: $3,000 (includes $1,500 win bonus)
    def. Jonathan Santa Maria: $2,000 Ozzy Diaz: $3,000 (includes $1,500 win bonus)
    def. Andre Walker: $1,500 Ian Butler: $3,000 (includes $1,500 win bonus)
    def. Emilio Williams: $1,200 A.J. Agazarm: $28,000 (includes $14,000 win bonus)
    def. Jonathan Quiroz: $2,000 Ava Knight: $20,000 (includes $10,000 win bonus)
    def. Shannon Goughary: $3,000 Antonio McKee: $25,000 (no win bonus)
    def. William Sriyapai: $5,000 Johnny Cisneros: $8,000 (includes $4,000 win bonus)
    def. Mike Jasper: $10,000 Leandro Higo: $28,000 (includes $14,000 win bonus)
    def. Shawn Bunch: $13,000 Weber Almeida: $12,000 (includes $6,000 win bonus)
    def. Castle Williams: $2,000 James Barnes: $4,500 (includes $2,250 win bonus)
    def. David Duran: $2,250 Joshua Jones: $4,000 (includes $2,000 win bonus)
    def. Dominic Clark: $2,000

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 42 johnmc76

Guy Person wrote: »
    And the payouts for Bellator 228

MAIN CARD

Gegard Mousasi: $150,000 (no win bonus)
    def. Lyoto Machida: $150,000 Patricio Freire: $200,000 (no win bonus)
    def. Juan Archuleta $75,000 A.J. McKee: $50,000 (no win bonus)
    def. Georgi Karakhanyan: $30,000 Darrion Caldwell: $125,000 (no win bonus)
    def. Henry Corrales: $30,000 Daniel Weichel: $80,000 (includes $40,000 win bonus)
    def. Saul Rogers: $20,000

PRELIMINARY CARD

Adrian Najera: $2,400 (includes $1,200 win bonus)
    def. Jason Edwards: $1,200 Benji Gomez: $3,000 (includes $1,500 win bonus)
    def. Jonathan Santa Maria: $2,000 Ozzy Diaz: $3,000 (includes $1,500 win bonus)
    def. Andre Walker: $1,500 Ian Butler: $3,000 (includes $1,500 win bonus)
    def. Emilio Williams: $1,200 A.J. Agazarm: $28,000 (includes $14,000 win bonus)
    def. Jonathan Quiroz: $2,000 Ava Knight: $20,000 (includes $10,000 win bonus)
    def. Shannon Goughary: $3,000 Antonio McKee: $25,000 (no win bonus)
    def. William Sriyapai: $5,000 Johnny Cisneros: $8,000 (includes $4,000 win bonus)
    def. Mike Jasper: $10,000 Leandro Higo: $28,000 (includes $14,000 win bonus)
    def. Shawn Bunch: $13,000 Weber Almeida: $12,000 (includes $6,000 win bonus)
    def. Castle Williams: $2,000 James Barnes: $4,500 (includes $2,250 win bonus)
    def. David Duran: $2,250 Joshua Jones: $4,000 (includes $2,000 win bonus)
    def. Dominic Clark: $2,000

I shudder to think what Gallagher gets paid to crush cans and be treated like a GOAT.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,715 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

johnmc76 wrote: »
    I shudder to think what Gallagher gets paid to crush cans and be treated like a GOAT.

I’d imagine he’s on 200,000,000,000 a fight, or close to it

• Advertisement

Dtp1979 wrote: »

In his dreams maybe. He doesn't deserve anything more than €10K for the opposition they're giving him this far into his career. Anything more and he's really fooled the money marks at Viacom that he's going to be the second coming of Conor McGregor.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Dtp1979 wrote: »

Not as much as dildo danis. He is the highest paid star in Bellator after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

In his dreams maybe. He doesn't deserve anything more than €10K for the opposition they're giving him this far into his career. Anything more and he's really fooled the money marks at Viacom that he's going to be the second coming of Conor McGregor.

In fairness, no one including Gallagher or even McGregor was ever paid to reflect the level of opponent they are facing.

Gallagher, just like everyone else is paid primarily based on the amount of money he generates for the company. Right now hes a name and he’s putting bums on seats and people are willing to pay to see his fights.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,426 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

The hate for Gallagher goes way OTT, he's a nice enough lad, yeah a bit mouthy but also he's 22 years old and having right craic with his life right now, no stories of him partying or going off the rails either. At the end of the day, Bellator are making money off his back, so much so the bastards jacked up the ticket prices for the last event. Cal Ellenor was certainly no tin can either and there weren't many options when he had to withdraw a few days out.

I didn't like Gallagher at all but I've met him twice up in Concorde recently and he's actually sound. It's all pantomine, you forget he's only a kid just 22.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭Porthallian

I'd echo these sentiments. Met him in Strabane last year when he taught a homecoming jiu-jitsu class in his old gym and he's really sound. Down to earth and willing to talk to everyone. Obviously he has a persona that he's basically ripped off but he's making money doing it.

That being said, I do still cringe quite a bit watching him in interviews.

The hate for Gallagher goes way OTT, he's a nice enough lad, yeah a bit mouthy but also he's 22 years old and having right craic with his life right now, no stories of him partying or going off the rails either.
    I don't like the persona he puts on, and have expressed that on here previously. But it doesn't bother me in the slightest, I don't watch interviews with him, post fight antics, etc, exactly because I don't like that nonsense. I tune in for some jiu jitsu and tune out.

I don't understand why people complain about his attention seeking, but at the same time, give him a huge amount of attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,933 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

I don't like the persona he puts on, and have expressed that on here previously. But it doesn't bother me in the slightest, I don't watch interviews with him, post fight antics, etc, exactly because I don't like that nonsense. I tune in for some jiu jitsu and tune out.

I don't understand why people complain about his attention seeking, but at the same time, give him a huge amount of attention.
    Because Irish gonna Irish

I think people forget that he is only 22 - same as that though I don't listen to his interviews or the bull but that is the proven formula to put bums on seats.

rob316 wrote: »
    I didn't like Gallagher at all but I've met him twice up in Concorde recently and he's actually sound. It's all pantomine, you forget he's only a kid just 22.

I'm sure alot of his detractors would think he's likable if he's not in wannabe Conor mode. That doesn't make the act any less cringe worthy. Its the blatant copy cat gimmick plus Bellator marketing him as One of the greatest of all time while feeding him a steady diet of cans while being the main event is why people dislike him. If he dropped the act and earned his main event status people would probably start warming up to him.

He's going to feel like a complete fool in a few years when he grows up and matures.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Strabanimal

He's going to feel like a complete fool in a few years when he grows up and matures.

Aye 22 years old headlining Bellator events with no one having met him having a bad word to say about him.

Maybe he can one day reach the heights of a man of your stature, whinging about immigrants on the boards forums.

Aye 22 years old headlining Bellator events with no one having met him having a bad word to say about him.

Headlining against handpicked opponents. And putting on a Terrible "I want to be like Conor when I grow up" act. Anybody can be a star with that level of protection.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,339 ✭✭✭Homelander

Tazzimus wrote: »
    Because Irish gonna Irish

Not really. Conor McGregor did it exceptionally well, a combination of immense talent and skill, genuinely witty and funny, and knew how to work a crowd. He captured the world, but other Irish fighters of the era were well liked, respected and well regarded at home also. Pendred, Duffy, Holohan, whoever. Gallagher is painfully unfunny and cringe-inducing with his straight-to-DVD Conor impression, despite having a) none of his wit and charisma and b) not having earned a shade of the reputation he's paraded as having by both himself and Bellator.

Drop the pitiful Conor act, start fighting actual quality opponents, then maybe people will start to like him. I'm sure he is a decent fighter, but he needs to start fightiing proper high-level opposition and not these total scrubs pulled from local organisations to headline Bellator events. Any amount of decent fighters in his weight class within Bellator he could fight but they're clearly afraid to and it's starting to become utterly farcical.

So no, there's nothing remotely "Irish gonna Irish" about it, at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

Fedor v Rampage in Tokyo on 29th December. Serious Pride vibes off that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,933 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Homelander wrote: »
    Not really. Conor McGregor did it exceptionally well, a combination of immense talent and skill, genuinely witty and funny, and knew how to work a crowd. He captured the world, but other Irish fighters of the era were well liked, respected and well regarded at home also. Pendred, Duffy, Holohan, whoever. Gallagher is painfully unfunny and cringe-inducing with his straight-to-DVD Conor impression, despite having a) none of his wit and charisma and b) not having earned a shade of the reputation he's paraded as having by both himself and Bellator.

Drop the pitiful Conor act, start fighting actual quality opponents, then maybe people will start to like him. I'm sure he is a decent fighter, but he needs to start fightiing proper high-level opposition and not these total scrubs pulled from local organisations to headline Bellator events. Any amount of decent fighters in his weight class within Bellator he could fight but they're clearly afraid to and it's starting to become utterly farcical.

So no, there's nothing remotely "Irish gonna Irish" about it, at all.
    Mellor mentioned people giving out about his attention seeking, while giving him the attention he is seeking, that's about as Irish as you can get.

Tazzimus wrote: »
    Mellor mentioned people giving out about his attention seeking, while giving him the attention he is seeking, that's about as Irish as you can get.

Also continually calling for him to fight 'actual high level' opponents. He's 22 ffs, he's hardly going to be on a title run at that age, Jon Jones, a contender for GOAT was I think 24 before he became champ

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Also continually calling for him to fight 'actual high level' opponents. He's 22 ffs, he's hardly going to be on a title run at that age, Jon Jones, a contender for GOAT was I think 24 before he became champ

Not really a like for like comparison though. Jon Jones didn't have his first pro fight until he was about Gallagher's age. Gallagher has been doing this for about 3 years now. I don't think any one is saying he should be taking on the best of the best but he should be moving past smashing cans.

He's already 10 fights into his career. High time for him to step up in competition. Not expecting to start fighting the top 10,but some actual competition than we can actually gauge his skill level with and if we can see if he's worth this hype that he's getting from Bellator.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

The only decent fighter he's ever fought, he got murdered. He's never going to be a top tier fighter. Bellator will protect him as along as they can.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭bmcc10

Rory is so trigger shy these days he really should just call it a day his hearts not in it

Advertisement