Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Wokeism of the day *Revised Mod Note in OP and threadbanned users*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭Salvation Tambourine

Disney Plus removed Dumbo, Peter Pan, The Aristocats and Swiss Family Robinson from the kids section....

https://www.buzz.ie/movies-tv/disney-blocks-peter-pan-and-dumbo-from-kids-due-to-harmful-stereotypes-414510

Pocahontas will be next, if it's not gone already

The farmer in Fox & The Hound is a terrible stereotype of white, country farmers in America. I really hope they right this wrong and remove it from the kids section.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

rossie1977 wrote: »
    It was term used to help highlight racial inequality and the US alt right identity politickers turned it into a derogatory term to encompass basically everything they don't like lol insanely believe
    FYP
    And so follows the disdain and ridicule.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,346 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

Mfaco is on Twitter threatening to out the very people who reject the appeal for the review of the asylum interview process, calling on Justice Minister McEntee through the use of coercion.

EssWZp7XAAwcYxA?format=jpg&name=large
    njbh

EssWZ2XXEAEO9Qu?format=jpg&name=large
    cytc

The arrogance on display from a failed asylum seeker whose application has been denied 3 times. How and why is he even being entertained by this country.

From the MASI “Submission to Justice and Equality Joint Committee 2019"
    "Civil servants would not treat asylum
    seekers the way they do if an Irish person, particularly a white Irish person,
    was observing the proceedings.[Page13]
    "

So they want someone who they know will automatically accept their claim without any concern or doubt nor thought of questioning them in line with our Irish Law.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

rossie1977 wrote: »
    It was term used to help highlight racial inequality and the US alt right turned it into a derogatory term to encompass basically everything they don't like lol

Actually, and this is denied now, ‘woke’ was initially not a pejorative when appropriated from its original usage. I recall media publications use it quite unironically circa 2017. The most well-known example of it being used as a complimentary word was that Kendall Jenner Pepsi ad. That ad was probably the point when the term curdled and started to be used pejoratively because it was such a pilloried advertisement.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭Salvation Tambourine

"Civil servants would not treat asylum
    was observing the proceedings.[Page13]"

It must be nice to be able throw accusations of racism around knowing there will be no repercussions if it's found to be false.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I wonder if the actions of Bulelani Mfaco are winning regular Irish people over, or pushing them further away?

""Civil servants would not treat asylum
    was observing the proceedings.[Page13]""

Makes little sense to me... aren't most of the civil servants white? They're already observing the proceedings. Seems an oddly worded paragraph.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Nokotan wrote: »
    It must be nice to be able throw accusations of racism around knowing there will be no repercussions if it's found to be false.
    He also calls the Civil Service officials who make these decisions as having unbounded bigotry. Astounding. Bulelani Mfaco knows that no matter how more rejections of his asylum application will take place, he is going nowhere. While he should be deported back to South Africa, it looks like we have him for keeps. This is also the man who demanded his own home (for himself) instead of Direct Provision accommodation ..... as a failed asylum seeker.

Even with all surreal stuff that is going on with Covid, this man's story tops the list of insane and bewildering situations that are allowed to fester in this country.

Mfaco is on Twitter threatening to out the very people who reject the appeal for the review of the asylum interview process, calling on Justice Minister McEntee through the use of coercion.

njbh

cytc

The arrogance on display from a failed asylum seeker whose application has been denied 3 times. How and why is he even being entertained by this country.

From the MASI “Submission to Justice and Equality Joint Committee 2019"

So they want someone who they know will automatically accept their claim without any concern or doubt nor thought of questioning them in line with our Irish Law.

It's all about Mfaco first and foremost.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,269 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I read that with mouth agape. Anyone who doesn't read that list of demands and doesn't realise we're being taken for fools is in fact a fool.

• Advertisement

AllForIt wrote: »
    I read that with mouth agape. Anyone who doesn't read that list of demands and doesn't realise we're being taken for fools is in fact a fool.

They want full and completely unrestricted admission into Ireland, full protections (and financial supports) retained, but also have all the rights and benefits that "others' receive, while having complete freedom to live how they please. Oh, and deportations of any kind are horrible, and show how disgusting Ireland is as a nation.

Full and tuition free access to education. Hmm... I'm pretty sure that for any other person, they need to be a resident in Ireland for three years before they become eligible... and they still have to pay for tuition.

Yup. Taking the Irish to the cleaners.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

biko wrote: »
    I wonder if the actions of Bulelani Mfaco are winning regular Irish people over, or pushing them further away?

It must be great to play the race card everytime you don't get something you want .

Twitter wants YOUR help in flagging misleaading news.
    It takes a parody account to point out the consequences of the wokey hold on the public square of the internet

https://twitter.com/TitaniaMcGrath/status/1353850134438809600

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

Most Irish people know that immigrants from a certain continent are mostly work shy chancers. There's 50 odd other countries on that continent if they were feeling oppressed to move to . If our welfare system wasn't the most generous in the world they wouldn't have came here .

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

MoXewJv.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭46 Long

He doesn't seem to get all that much engagement besides the odd nugget of comedy gold like the one below at about 100 likes. Like Ali Selim before him the bould Mfaco seems to spend his days screaming into the Twitter void and never actually getting anywhere. It's the idiots in this country who support him that I worry about.

https://twitter.com/BulelaniMfaco/status/1353457775968325632

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

sligojoek wrote: »
    MoXewJv.jpg

Okay, this is all hilarious.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

46 Long wrote: »
    He doesn't seem to get all that much engagement besides the odd nugget of comedy gold like the one below at about 100 likes.

He's right though

• Registered Users Posts: 10,526 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2021/jan/27/san-francisco-schools-george-washington-abraham-lincoln-dianne-feinstein

“The San Francisco school board has voted to remove the names of George Washington, Abraham Lincoln, Dianne Feinstein and a number of other politicians, conquistadors and historical figures from public schools after officials deemed them unworthy of the honor.”

The tide is turning…

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭WrenBoy

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2021/jan/27/san-francisco-schools-george-washington-abraham-lincoln-dianne-feinstein

“The San Francisco school board has voted to remove the names of George Washington, Abraham Lincoln, Dianne Feinstein and a number of other politicians, conquistadors and historical figures from public schools after officials deemed them unworthy of the honor.”

About time, I mean, what did they ever do for America ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,269 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Well soon be able to say slavery never happened at this rate. Abraham who?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Invidious

Wokeness takes over at the University of Leicester...
    The University of Leicester will stop teaching the great English medieval poet and author Geoffrey Chaucer in favour of modules on race and sexuality, according to new proposals.

Management told the English department that courses on canonical works would be dropped in favour of modules that "students expect" as part of plans now under consultation.

Foundational texts such as The Canterbury Tales and the Anglo-Saxon epic Beowulf would no longer be taught, under proposals to scrap medieval literature. Instead, the English faculty will be refocused to drop centuries of the literary canon and deliver a "decolonised" curriculum devoted to diversity.

Who needs the likes of Chaucer and Shakespeare anyway, as long as we have a decolonised curriculum devoted to diversity...

What's wrong with Beowulf?

edit: ahh it's not that there's anything wrong with it, or other pieces. They're simply dumping them (and 60 staff) to reallocate resources to:

"New modules described as "excitingly innovative" would cover: "A chronological literary history, a selection of modules on race, ethnicity, sexuality and diversity, a decolonised curriculum, and new employability modules."

Guess there must be good money and student enrollment in these areas, as opposed to Literature. No hesitation to embrace Identity politics, and ensure it has a solid foundation in the UK. That's going to end well.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

It's what the modern student expects

• Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭randd1

It's what the modern student expects

It's what vested interest groups expect modern students to absorb without question.

Who needs to learn the subtlety's of Shakespeare when you can read about why you should be ashamed of the colour of your skin due to the history of the culture that brought you Shakespeare.

is medievil poetry not just as pointless though??

Swopping one pure waste of time for another

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

When you promote that everyone is a victim by various gerrymandering techniques you encourage this nonsense

https://twitter.com/markhumphrys/status/1354716468856971265

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Why is it pointless? How is it any more pointless than a painting or some architecture that goes beyond functionality to be aesthetically pleasing?

Things can have worth that isn’t necessarily economic worth (well at least I think so anyway).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,526 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Ah ‘Beowulf’ is pretty class. Obviously, wouldn’t be too keen to read it in its “original” old English.

But I would see a literature degree as something to look into on retirement or as something to do if I won the lotto. If you’re shítting on other “impractical” degrees I don’t see why this one should be spared.

The tide is turning…

• Advertisement

Why is it pointless? How is it any more pointless than a painting or some architecture that goes beyond functionality to be aesthetically pleasing?

Things can have worth that isn’t necessarily economic worth (well at least I think so anyway).

I dont see any function for it tbh......when was last time medievil poetry made any difference to anyones life in the last 400 or so years?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement