Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What book are you reading atm?? CHAPTER TWO

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,336 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

Finished The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Rings.

Doing my best to recall how accurate the movie was but failing miserably as it seems like an age since I watched them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

Finished The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Rings.

Doing my best to recall how accurate the movie was but failing miserably as it seems like an age since I watched them.
    The really big change is that Tom Bombadil is cut entirely from the film. He'd have been a challenge to fit in, tonally. Otherwise, the broad strokes are the same, trimmed to fit into a movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,302 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

mikhail wrote: »
    The really big change is that Tom Bombadil is cut entirely from the film. He'd have been a challenge to fit in, tonally. Otherwise, the broad strokes are the same, trimmed to fit into a movie.

A lot of people were disappointed with that but I never got what was so great about Bombadil

• Registered Users Posts: 30,336 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

mikhail wrote: »

It was actually at that chapter that I decided I would have to rewatch the movies as I couldn't recall him. Now I know why :D

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭ChrisJ84

Just finished The Orchard Keeper by Cormac McCarthy. It's his first novel, and like all of them it's pretty dark and depressing! If you're already a fan it's definitely worth checking out, but isn't where I'd start if you've not read him before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

ChrisJ84 wrote: »
    Just finished The Orchard Keeper by Cormac McCarthy. It's his first novel, and like all of them it's pretty dark and depressing! If you're already a fan it's definitely worth checking out, but isn't where I'd start if you've not read him before.

I had meant to read some of his earlier stuff, but god they seem bleak. My capacity for that has diminished in recent years.

I had meant to read some of his earlier stuff, but god they seem bleak. My capacity for that has diminished in recent years.

Yeah, Child of God is without doubt the most disturbing and horrific book I've ever read! It's the only McCarthy book so far I don't think I'll read again.

The Orchard Keeper isn't nearly as bad, but definitely has its moments.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,356 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Absolutely and I won't finish a book if I don't like it my husband is the exact opposite he will read to the end.

As I have got older I have gone off anything depressing or bleak.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Antics21

White Noise by Don Delillo.
    Very late to reading Delillo. This is one of highest rated novels. I'm not sure I appreciate the coldness of his prose and the almost anesthetic form of the novel. I'm sure this intentional on his behalf but it's not a style I'm enjoying. The novel depicts a human reaction very like the early pandemic panic and is worth reading for that long middle section alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

ChrisJ84 wrote: »
    Yeah, Child of God is without doubt the most disturbing and horrific book I've ever read! It's the only McCarthy book so far I don't think I'll read again.

The Orchard Keeper isn't nearly as bad, but definitely has its moments.

Child of God was the one I was thinking of reading. I kind of feel bad about recommending The Road to my elderly mother in law.
    Another bleak book I read a few years ago was On the Beach, by Nevile Shute. It wasn't as dark as McCarthy's stuff, but bleak in the nicest possible way (if that makes sense).

• Advertisement

Child of God was the one I was thinking of reading. I kind of feel bad about recommending The Road to my elderly mother in law.
    Another bleak book I read a few years ago was On the Beach, by Nevile Shute. It wasn't as dark as McCarthy's stuff, but bleak in the nicest possible way (if that makes sense).

The mother in law?!? That's pretty hilarious in fairness! :eek:

All the Pretty Horses and The Road are the two I always recommend.

Talking about grim and bleak, I've been reading some John Steinbeck and George Orwell recently, and they're not exactly a barrel of laughs either. I think it's time to switch to something more lighthearted, but I might just check out On the Beach first!

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭gutenberg

I’ve read The Road, and have heard that Blood Meridian is a modern classic - but I don’t know if I can bring myself to read it as it’s always described as horrific and nightmare-inducing.

Neville Shute also wrote A Town Like Alice, which I read a few years ago and really liked.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭nialler1978

I am reading 'The Body Keeps The Score' by Bessel Van Der Kolk. It was given to me as I was in a serious car accident 8 years ago, I made a full recovery, or so I thought. The book deals with trauma, I thought I was heading into reading a self-help book (which it is) but it is also a fascinating read. I would recommend to anyone, even if you have not sustained any kind of traumatic experience.

https://www.easons.com/the-body-keeps-the-score-bessel-a-van-der-kolk-9780141978611?gclid=CjwKCAiAu8SABhAxEiwAsodSZAL7d179LaMSu5S1rMYka3XgK3iqE9MCgEkjAdOSP6CJ8vsic8tnmxoCYHgQAvD_BwE

• Registered Users Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭Danger781

I've started reading The Stand by Stephen King and it's not what I expected. The first 20%-25% of the book was SO BORING but I pushed through because I knew it was going to get good at some stage. After all it has been hyped as being among his greatest ever works. I'm about 45% of the way through and while it's definitely improving I'm still not entirely sure if I'm enjoying it. Slow burn...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 325 ✭✭Doctor Roast

Just started Hobo by Eddy Joe Cotton

"On a cold, gray day in 1991, a young man named Eddy Joe Cotton (aka Zebu Recchia) left home with nothing but a warm jacket, some well-worn boots, and a few crumpled dollar bills. His father had just fired him, not for the first time, but for the last. He didn’t see his father again for two years. But this is not the story of a runaway - it is a tale of an unorthodox road to adulthood. By taking to the trains, Eddy Joe Cotton learned the difficulty of life lived on the margins, the fading importance of a once-celebrated American folk hero, and the ultimate meaning of freedom."

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭JeffreyEpspeen

There's a good follow up documentary which they coupled with old recordings of her and interviews with people she knew.

Her widower Patton Oswalt comes across as extremely creepy and narcissistic. I wouldn't be at all surprised if it came out that he was involved in her death somehow. Marrying someone else about a year after she died is another huge red flag.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,779 ✭✭✭appledrop

Up next is East West Street by Philippe Sands.

I really enjoyed the Ratline except for very last section so looking forward to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭gutenberg

appledrop wrote: »

I really enjoyed the Ratline except for very last section so looking forward to this.

Loved East West Street. I think it’s better than The Ratline.

Just about to start this too!

gutenberg wrote: »
    Loved East West Street. I think it’s better than The Ratline.

Oh brilliant! I did enjoy Ratline but it dragged at the end part I thought.

• Advertisement

bubblypop wrote: »
    Just about to start this too!

Snap we can compare!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,302 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Snap we can compare!

I should be starting next week

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭TheRepentent

The Crusades through arab eyes by Amin Maalouf

Just read a book about the knights teamplar so hopefully this will give a different perspective

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭happyday

A Ghost in the Throat by Doireann Ní Ghríofa.

Autobiographical about a young mother's love of an ancient poem by Éibhlín Dhubh Ní Chonaill.

A beautiful read.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

The Witness- Juan Jose Saer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭pottokblue

Me and sister bobbie- the Nelsons, a creative bond sibling relationship biography between a piano player and songwriter/living legend!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

pottokblue wrote: »
    Me and sister bobbie- the Nelsons, a touching sibling relationship biography

I think I understand your meaning but that reads terribly.

The tide is turning…

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭bocaman

A Moveable Feast by Ernest Hemingway.
    A memoir of the young Hemingway's time in Paris in the 1920's.Before he became unbearably famous.
    Joyce, Scott & Zelda Fitzgerald, Ezra Pound are just some of the writers to appear in this lovely books.
    Wonderful evocation of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,296 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Danger781 wrote: »
    I've started reading The Stand by Stephen King and it's not what I expected. The first 20%-25% of the book was SO BORING but I pushed through because I knew it was going to get good at some stage. After all it has been hyped as being among his greatest ever works. I'm about 45% of the way through and while it's definitely improving I'm still not entirely sure if I'm enjoying it. Slow burn...

I think it’s one of his best. I’ve a ton of King stuff - only got into him a few years ago and find he can be very hit and miss. Read one too many duds and went off him for a while but just started The Institute today to hopefully get back into him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Collie D wrote: »
    I think it’s one of his best. I’ve a ton of King stuff - only got into him a few years ago and find he can be very hit and miss. Read one too many duds and went off him for a while but just started The Institute today to hopefully get back into him.
    It was Under The Dome that got me back into his stuff again. Great read.

TV series is shocking bad though.

Advertisement