Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What are your thoughts on the Ian Wright/Patrick O'Brien situation?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Colibri

He spewed racist stuff and threatened to kill him.

We should make an example of the little sh*t

• Registered Users Posts: 5,179 ✭✭✭This is it

Nunu wrote: »
    The funniest/saddest part of all of this is what sparked the outburst...very much child’s behaviour from a young man.

What was it?

topper75 wrote: »
    Why didn't the OP just include this info so we could all understand.
    The books are well researched but can be somewhat tedious by the same token.

So fair play to Wrighty for calling it.

The high quality of the research is only one of the many favourable aspects - he is also a master of characterisation and capturing the essence of interpersonal interactions!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭valoren

Comes out with the classic "I was hacked" excuse? He was sound of mind enough to try and weasel his way out of accountability though. The last resort of a coward and is an indication he's not sorry for what he said but sorry he was caught.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 315 ✭✭coinop

I doubt the kid is a racist. He's just using the best possible weapons he has to get to someone, he probably went out drinking with his 3 black mates afterwards, then went home to his Asian GF.

His attitude was '' hit em where it hurts'' so that's what he did. It's pure dumbassery and childish, it's all down to that.

^^^ This guy gets it.
    If his target was wearing glasses, he would call him four eyes.
    If his target had acne, he would call him pizza face.
    His target in this case was black so he called him a monkey.
    The young lad is obviously a twat but the mob condemning racism as the worst possible crime ever need to get a grip. Is bullying a ginger a lesser crime than bullying an African?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Osborne

coinop wrote: »
    ^^^ This guy gets it.
    If his target was wearing glasses, he would call him four eyes.
    If his target had acne, he would call him pizza face.
    His target in this case was black so he called him a monkey.
    The young lad is obviously a twat but the mob condemning racism as the worst possible crime ever need to get a grip. Is bullying a ginger a lesser crime than bullying an African?

Nah. He's the definition of a racist.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Am I the only '90s kid who instantly thinks of this any time Ian Wright's name is mentioned?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

It's quite disturbing that you'd even be able to come up with that amount of vitriol towards someone who seems just genuinely lovely and is loved by so many people. I hope the f*cker pays for it.

I met Ian Wright years ago (13 years ago to be exact) . It was a miserable pissy day at the Acropolis (In Athens, not some iffy stip club in England that I'm sure probably exists) the day after the 07 champions league final. Hed spent the previous hour or so taking pictures and giving autographs to lads which trekking up and around it. These were the days of much worse camera phones, and between me and my cousin only his still had a bit of power in it. The man was an absolute gent. His missus gave him hassle cos we were taking so long and she said we already got a picture earlier. He told her we didn't and to wait. It took ages cos the phone turned off at least once while we posed in the rain. So between us only I managed to get a picture and we'd nothing to get signed or even a pen.

It's still my favourite picture that isn't of my family.

That little **** deserves to have everyone know what he sent. People send off this type of stuff thinking therll be no consequence. **** him.

People seem to have this thing that the internet doesn't matter and isn't serious. Lots of "ah, hes just a kid". **** that. If hed sent good old fashioned hate mail in the post people wouldn't take it as lightly. It's the same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Hrududu wrote: »
    He cant be playing with a full deck to post that under his actual name. In this day and age how can a teenager be so technologically illiterate? Not to mention his views

Youd be surprised what people have no issue putting online under their real name. Theres plenty under articles from the papers or other news sources. When you click in to their profiles they often have hundreds or a couple of thousand followers so theres clearly plenty of like minded people who think the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭eireyiddo

Bet you find 1 of his mates grabbed his phone or was able to log into his account! ie hacked
    As vile as it is what was said I don't believe for a second some one could be that supid

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

Bizarre behaviour from a little toe rag. Wright is a gentleman, how anyone could have such vitriol against a complete stranger like that is bizarre. This idiot is already after paying the price from what I've seen with his club, the gardai and even his mother being contacted about his hate filled messages. I'd be extremely concerned at my son or daughter sending stuff like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

I'd imagine his "I was hacked" will actually turn out to be a friend took his phone and did that, which still wouldn't hold water as he'd know what messages were sent . Besides that if any friend of mine did that I'd have no hassle throwing them under the bus for it.

Let's see what the Gardaí do with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,041 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Fair play to Wright for highlighting it. Hope the Gardai will get the truth out and the culprit will pay for his actions.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭Salvadoor

Am I the only '90s kid who instantly thinks of this any time Ian Wright's name is mentioned?

Jesus, Chicken Tonight. I had it once, it went right through me. I didn't know whether the approach the jacks head-on or by reversing after eating it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,279 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Disgusting comments from that guy. I hope Wright gets justice.

Not an arsenal fan but wright was some goal machine in his day. Loved watching him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭ChelseaRentBoy

Would hate to have had social media when i was younger. I'd be mortified by some of the stuff looking back.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,870 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Lol; I remember that.

I don't really follow football but is Ian Wright still in the public eye as a pundit or whatever? I'd have thought this little toerag would be too young to be familiar with him. He seems like a very random target.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,816 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

eireyiddo wrote: »
    Bet you find 1 of his mates grabbed his phone or was able to log into his account! ie hacked
    As vile as it is what was said I don't believe for a second some one could be that supid
    I really sincerely doubt that he was hacked.
    He said he was... and said a load of other racist abuse was sent to other well known people at the same time....yet zero evidence of that happening.
    Plus there seem to be screenshots of him apologising and saying he made a mistake etc so in other words...he wasn't hacked.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

never cared too much for Ian Wright he was no angel himself esp on the football pitch...but what that guy posted was utterly disgraceful

• Registered Users Posts: 31,816 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I doubt the kid is a racist. He's just using the best possible weapons he has to get to someone, he probably went out drinking with his 3 black mates afterwards, then went home to his Asian GF.

His attitude was '' hit em where it hurts'' so that's what he did. It's pure dumbassery and childish, it's all down to that.
    Ah the old classic "I am not racist but..." sure I have black friends and everything....
    He is a scumbag and deserves everything that is coming to him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

The account only posted 2 messages before it went private and those were the racist messages.

I doubt it was hacked.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Who would hack it as he is supposed to be staying away from other people due to social distancing? Who would pick up someone else's phone in these current circumstances? His bs excuse doesn't add up at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Colibri

It would be horrible if he just called him racist slurs, but he threatened to kill him. Zero sympathy.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Ryu Hayabusa

This Patrick lad, will get his head kicked in when he’s out on a night in town and it’ll be put up on Twitter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Jucifer

This Patrick lad, will get his head kicked in when he’s out on a night in town and it’ll be put up on Twitter.

And do you think the people who would carry out a physical assault, with the real possibility of it going wrong and the young lad being crippled for life or dying, would be any better than the lad. The messages are horrible but someone willing to carry out such an attack is worse.

How about people leave it to the Gardaí to determine the punishment. He has already done plenty of damage to himself by sending that and it going viral. Can’t imagine people will be lining up to give him a job in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,257 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

I know he's only young, but my word what he said was disgraceful. I hope he genuinely is sorry.

Who is Patrick O Brien?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,257 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

dan1895 wrote: »
    Who would hack it as he is supposed to be staying away from other people due to social distancing? Who would pick up someone else's phone in these current circumstances? His bs excuse doesn't add up at all.

You don't need someone's phone to access their account.

However, I don't believe for a second that any form of "hacking" occurred in this instance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭hopalongcass

Agree with everyone that its scummy and nasty what this kid posted but one time i would love for someone like him to highlight the messages he received and offer some kind of forgiveness to the kid without demands for action.Its still only words from a dumb kid.

I am sure the public at large would take care of whatever if any legal action was necessary once he highlighted it,if people in positions of influence like Wright is,appeared more forgiving not only would it affect the kid more positively it would affect race relations in a more positive way.

Instead he is publicly highlighting that yeah us Black people are easily affected by these words,other Black kids that look to him as a role model are then going to be equally offended if anyone calls them monkey or whatever it is,it only gives people more of an incentive to do it again when they want to hurt somebody and the cycle goes on until somebody is the bigger man.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Robsweezie

i doubt the lad himself actually holds genuine deeply held racist views, just a little **** out for attention saying the most inflammatory stuff that he knows will get him such attention. controversy is their oxygen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭TheDavester

Unless the offender is mentally ill, he should be punished and even made an example of. He has since come out to apologise and veer from the 'woz hacked, soz' excuse, but not good enough. That was some hardcore racism intended to cause maximum hurt, and he knew what he was doing.

Garda statement describe him as "a male, adult teenager" so we are probably talking 18 or 19, i.e. not a young kid who didn't know any better, so fück him and his abhorrent views.

Mental health shouldnt be used as a crutch to get out of anything...sick of that card being played as many people with mental health issues dont engage in this sort of behaviour or other nasty carry on

Advertisement