Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Latin dispensations

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭leck

Peregrinus wrote: »
    ... they got the dispensation not from the Archbishop, but from the priest who married them, he having been authorised by the Archbishop to give dispensations on the Archbishop's behalf.

Peregrinus, thank you very much. I see that this particular priest made a habit of this. A search of rootsireland for other marriages around 1897 showed all the others I looked at (abt half dozen) all had the same note.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

leck wrote: »

"VI FACULATUM MIHI ARCHREPISCOPO CONCESSARUM DISPENSANTUR IN BANNIS" - DISPENSATION.

In addition to what Peregrinus has written and the misspelling, it also is 'dog Latin' as even in the mangled syntax of the above phrase it should be 'Vim'. not 'Vi', as it is the accusative case of 'vis', a third declension noun. The poor old priest probably had memories of a lecture on Martin Luther's 'Non vi, sed verbo' .
    PS As I write, Led Zeppelin are on Lyric, bringing me right back tothe era of my Longmans and 'De Bello Gallico' of all those years ago!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,050 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

In addition to what Peregrinus has written and the misspelling, it also is 'dog Latin' as even in the mangled syntax of the above phrase it should be 'Vim'. not 'Vi', as it is the accusative case of 'vis', a third declension noun. The poor old priest probably had memories of a lecture on Martin Luther's 'Non vi, sed verbo' .
    PS As I write, Led Zeppelin are on Lyric, bringing me right back tothe era of my Longmans and 'De Bello Gallico' of all those years ago!
    Not accusative, ablative - "by the power of a faculty given to me . . .". I think vi is correct.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Peregrinus wrote: »
    Not accusative, ablative - "by the power of a faculty given to me . . .". I think vi is correct.
    I see where you are coming from and it has merit. However, as the dispensation is facilitated ‘through’ the power granted, I inferred that the correct (dropped) preposition should be ‘per’ which would take the accusative (and not ‘a/ab/ex' and the ablative). Hardly worth arguing about:).

• Registered Users Posts: 26,050 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

. . . Hardly worth arguing about:).
    That consideration has never stopped me. :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Stop being pedantic you two!

Genealogy Forum Mod

Advertisement