Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virgin Media Cancellation deals

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,610 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

DavyD_83 wrote: »
    The 25 still seemed step enough to me, .

I'd say they do that as some people won't move after joining them.
    It's very steep nowadays for unlimited everything but wasn't in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭MadamX

1 hour 52 mins on the phone to VM this afternoon. Totally wrecked after that marathon but it paid off. Finally bargained the agent down to 9 months half price for BB, TV and home phone. The deal is there to be had but persistence and doggedness are required. A bit of plaumausing and chit chat with the agent won’t go astray either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭garo

Wasted another hour on the WhatsApp chat with VM yesterday. My contract was up in Sep and I called them the week before to cancel TV and get broadband only for 1 year. Took the 9 months 15 euro off deal because I couldn't keep arguing for an hour. Got a tough rep at the other end. They messed up my order and cancelled TV and still charged me for it. Had to spend an hour arguing for them to stop charging me for TV and give me the money back in early Oct.

In the next bill I realised that they didn't start the broadband contract and I was getting charged full price. So called them. Got got the same offer plus the 15 off the previous month and a half. So effectively 10.5 months at 15 off and 3 at full price. Took it.

Got the November bill last week and guess what? No refund for the month and half they overcharged me due to their mistake. The rep took a long time to understand what I was saying. Kept repeating that I am getting the offer anyway its just starting later. Eventually copped on that the start date had been changed and gave me the money. Was very apologetic at the end but I am not getting my hour back.

Very very frustrating experience. They have good broadband but do their best to drive your blood pressure up.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭tallaghtfornia

Is it worth ringing the up currently have 2 accounts in my name with just BB paying €59 PM on each account - rang today and there was an hour waiting time but had no time to hang on got €15 a month of last year of each account and it was better than nothing

Crazy how these big companies get away with these long waiting times to speak to someone If I was to operate like that I would close tomorrow - its elderly people I feel sorry for if they have an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭shakedown

Rang to renew 250MB broadband (€60 p/m standard cost).

Was 1 hour waiting, and straight away offered €44 for 9 months. I asked for half-price 9 months but was denied, so just accepted rather than continue the battle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

Have BB @62.50 pm.....was thinking of adding the basic tv package for another room, the deal costs me 82 quid while new customers can get it at 69 pm ..............fuks sake should it not be the other way round instead of existing customer having to haggle their soul to get a deal, I can't recall how many years I've been with them it's so long

• Registered Users Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

Just had 4th kid arrive so been very tight on time and not able to do the call and hold on forever game. Am out of contract on 240Mb broadband (which given I use my own Ubiquiti networking gear works great) and Horizon TV (diabolical).

I want to upgrade to 360 TV and have that in 2 rooms and 500Mb broadband (as based on a thread in the Broadband forum, 1Gb is flawed at present). Having heard all the promotions for Black Friday, was pretty surprised when I logged onto the site to see basically no deals available for existing customers. I went ahead and ordered as I can cancel within the 14 days. Should I just call 1908 and say I'll cancel and go elsewhere if they don't give me a deal as given I'm out of contract and don't use the TV all that much as it's mainly Netflix etc. streaming, I'm not strongly bound to them so no reason to stay if they're going to treat me worse than a new customer?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,610 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

If you can't get the same offers as existing or new customers and you have the ability to move to somewhere else, move.
    The more people that do it, the better offers Virgin will have to offer to their existing customers to stay.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭Luckycharm

Has anyone got any offers that include swapping Horizon box for new 360 box?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

Rang at 0900. Got connected at 0905. Got 15 off for 9 months. Honestly I didn't expect anything more. I am happy enough with that. Beats being on hold for an hour plus!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 199 ✭✭Morries Wigs

anyone get offered the new 1 gb broadband -worth getting?will it end buffering city based

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭geordi

Thanks to those who suggested calling Friday afternoon.

Called at 13:15 - connected at 13:18 - offered 6 months half price immediately - done by 13:25. ��

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Nokia6230i

€63 currently. Offered €45 for 6 Months/€60 for 6 Months & it'd be 250 MB instead of the current 240 Mb.

As I was talking I did an Ookla Speedtest; 14 Ping, 47.42 D/L & 24 U/L.......don't think increasing things by 10 Mb's gonna make a difference; the D/L can vary widely but my main bugbears currently're not being able watch RTE Player; their 1080p/Automatic selection has to be whittled down to 234p to stop it buffering and even then it's not always successful; dreading All Ireland Finals, Christmas Day, Late Late Toy Show, Late Late Show etc.

Netflix/Amazon Prime no problem but Twitter videos're out & YouTube is slow to load too.

Have a VM Techie in today; same guy was in 6-8 weeks ago & got a new modem & a Cat. 6 Ethernet Cable too; he's reckoning a new laptop cos mine's too old @ 6 years.

Guessing since that's out price-wised I'm gonna go Vodafone & give them a chance; €30 a month for 12 months; can't be any worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

Are people calling 1908?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

KOR101 wrote: »
    Are people calling 1908?

Nope: 061-272 190

• Registered Users Posts: 15,780 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Eir dude called to my house other day.
    Says I can now get FTTH.
    Told me Eir will pay disconnection fee to Virgin and even though I have only recently signed up a new deal with virgin the cancellation fee is only€150.
    They won’t actually pay it, but rather give credit on my account.

Anyone explored this option?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,563 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Seve OB wrote: »
    Says I can now get FTTH.
    Told me Eir will pay disconnection fee to Virgin and even though I have only recently signed up a new deal with virgin the cancellation fee is only€150.

Run Forrest run... Who told you the cancellation fee was €150? They were trying that crack before and leaving people owing big bills to their previous provider.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,780 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

CoBo55 wrote: »
    Run Forrest run... Who told you the cancellation fee was €150? They were trying that crack before and leaving people owing big bills to their previous provider.

My thoughts exactly

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Says I can now get FTTH.

Seriously- avoid EIR like the plague, however bad Virgin are- just wait until even the slightest thing goes wrong with EIR (esp. with billing)- they are impossible to deal with. I ended up taking a court case against them- and even after they settled rather than going to court- I was still owed nearly EUR700.

They are a criminal organisation.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭degsie

Says I can now get FTTH.

salesman.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭BlondeBomb

Got a new box today for self set up. I replaced the connections from old box into new box. Getting error message “please contact our customer care team on 1908 to subscribe”

Any ideas? Should I have used the new connections they sent out? I wouldn’t imagine that matters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Anytime I've a got a new box, (not had one of these) it has taken a few hours to sort itself out.

I would turn the hub on and off as-well. Not just the TV box, assuming you have seperate ones.

I've not managed to get any decent deal of them the last few years. Currently BB only. They'll knock a few euro off. But thats about it.

Might be better to keep the BB with VM and get the TV from SKY. It works out the same more or less.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Blingy

Thanks for whoever had the tip to ring on a Friday. Got half price for 9 months for BB and TV (100 channels). And a new virgin 360 box and new modem. Not bad. Been out of Contract for a while so I was paying a lot every month.

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭fungie

I haven't been able to get anything better than 15 euro off for 9 months; rang several times at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 SamShadow

I've found from experience that you'll get the best deal once you actually cancel. I think then you can switch back if you want as there is normally a cooling off period for new contracts of 2 weeks I think?

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭fungie

SamShadow wrote: »
    I've found from experience that you'll get the best deal once you actually cancel. I think then you can switch back if you want as there is normally a cooling off period for new contracts of 2 weeks I think?

I gave notice to cancel and waited until day before before ringing. Still weren't playing ball.

fungie wrote: »
    I gave notice to cancel and waited until day before before ringing. Still weren't playing ball.

Same here last year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,944 ✭✭✭duffman13

I have to say they are getting worse to deal with, really is shocking! Have cancelled at this stage and signed up as a new customer, want the new box and little in the way of alternatives in my area for BB. Sooner the better a bit of competition hits the market. Charging €110 a month and a new customer deal available for 12 months at 69 a month rising to 92. Reps ive dealt with have been awful

Advertisement