Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Harvey Weinstein scandal (Mod warning in op.)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Venom wrote: »
    She was Mia Farrow's adopted daughter and who he (Allen) had adopted 2 other children with while he was living with her (Farrow) for 12 years. While he never adopted Soon-Yi Previn, he was a father figure to her which is still pretty messed up.

It's a bit mank but it doesn't deserve to be spoken of in the same breath as Weinstein, much less a convicted child-rapist like Polanski.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭Uosdwis R. Dewoh

All those educated, intelligent folk - and frankly, women especially (like Catherine Deneuve, Tilda Swinton, Mia Farrow, Whoopi Goldberg, Meryl Streep, and his own wife) who minimise and even defend what Roman Polanski did are despicable.

His work is brilliant - I love it, not gonna lie; he endured horrific pain and trauma having been left to go on the run alone in Europe as a very young boy thanks to the nazis taking his family (it's amazing he survived) and when he was 36, his wife was butchered by the Manson cult.

All of the above is unimaginable - wouldn't wish it on anyone, and no doubt ****ed him up beyond belief...

... which is what makes his exploitation of that young girl even less understandable to me - not more. He of all people should be disgusted at mistreatment and degradation of others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

_Dara_ wrote: »
    That’s why awards ceremonies are so fucking nauseating. Self-congratulatory, luvvie claptrap. Roman’s an artiste, don’t you know?

Meh, nearly every industry has awards, though the likes of the Oscars aren't typically to do with who actually deserves the award.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭mickrock

She was Mia Farrow's adopted daughter and who he (Allen) had adopted 2 other children with while he was living with her (Farrow) for 12 years. While he never adopted Soon-Yi Previn, he was a father figure to her which is still pretty messed up.

Woody Allen and Mia Farrow never lived together during their relationship. They kept separate apartments.

I agree that Allen would have been somewhat of a father figure to the girl (but less so than if he was living with her and her mother) and their subsequent relationship could be seen as inappropriate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

Billy86 wrote: »
    Meh, nearly every industry has awards, though the likes of the Oscars aren't typically to do with who actually deserves the award.

I’ve never met an awards ceremony I actually liked. All vomit-inducing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

Gbear wrote: »
    It's a bit mank but it doesn't deserve to be spoken of in the same breath as Weinstein, much less a convicted child-rapist like Polanski.
    mickrock wrote: »
    Woody Allen and Mia Farrow never lived together during their relationship. They kept separate apartments.

I agree that Allen would have been somewhat of a father figure to the girl (but less so than if he was living with her and her mother) and their subsequent relationship could be seen as inappropriate.

Doesn’t matter, he would still have been a paternal figure in her life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

_Dara_ wrote: »
    I’ve never met an awards ceremony I actually liked. All vomit-inducing.
    Well I'd largely agree there!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Crikey who didn't see this coming, you only need to look at the guy to have serious doubts about him, alleged rumours or not!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Biggest lickspittle on boardz

I read this morning that Malia Obama worked as an intern in 2017 for Harvey Weinstein. (What parent in their right mind would let their child work for Harvey Weinstein based on the multiple reports that have been circulating about him for decades?)

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2017/01/malia-obama-harvey-weinstein-internship

Now, this is purely a theory on my part. But maybe something happened to Malia when she was working for Weinstein, and Barack Obama gets to hear about it.

Suddenly liberal darling Harvey Weinstein loses protection.

Crazier things have happened...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,423 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭Uosdwis R. Dewoh

"That's locker room" - locker room when you're a conservative, inappropriate when you're a liberal Jew. :)

I expect Kelly to be fired shortly.

Gbear wrote: »
    It's a bit mank but it doesn't deserve to be spoken of in the same breath as Weinstein, much less a convicted child-rapist like Polanski.[/QUOT

Dylan was his adopted daughter.

https://kristof.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/02/01/an-open-letter-from-dylan-farrow/

Weinstein's full statement:
    "I came of age in the 60's and 70's, when all the rules about behavior and workplaces were different. That was the culture then.
    I have since learned it's not an excuse, in the office - or out of it. To anyone.
    I realized some time ago that I needed to be a better person and my interactions with the people I work with have changed.
    I appreciate the way I've behaved with colleagues in the past has caused a lot of pain, and I sincerely apologize for it.
    Though I'm trying to do better, I know I have a long way to go. That is my commitment.
    My journey now will be to learn about myself and conquer my demons. Over the last year I've asked Lisa Bloom to tutor me and she's put together a team of people. I've brought on therapists and I plan to take a leave of absence from my company and to deal with this issue head on. I so respect all women and regret what happened. I hope that my actions will speak louder than words and that one day we will all be able to earn their trust and sit down together with Lisa to learn more. Jay Z wrote in 4:44 "I'm not the man I thought I was and I better be that man for my children." The same is true for me. I want a second chance in the community but I know I've got work to do to earn it. I have goals that are now priorities. Trust me, this isn't an overnight process. I've been trying to do this for 10 years and this is a wake-up call. I cannot be more remorseful about the people I hurt and I plan to do right by all of them.
    I am going to need a place to channel that anger so I've decided that I'm going to give the NRA my full attention. I hope Wayne LaPierre will enjoy his retirement party. I'm going to do it at the same place I had my Bar Mitzvah. I'm making a movie about our President, perhaps we can make it a joint retirement party. One year ago, I began organizing a $5 million foundation to give scholarships to women directors at USC. While this might seem coincidental, it has been in the works for a year. It will be named after my mom and I won't disappoint her. "

http://money.cnn.com/2017/10/05/media/harvey-weinsteins-full-statement/index.html

Talk about a self centred little w@nker. It's the most passive aggressive 'sorry...but not sorry' statement you'll ever read.

Isn't it very revealing though that the pussy hat brigade are nowhere to be seen on this one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭BillyBobBS

I'd say this thug is just the tip of the iceberg in terms of what happens in Hollywood.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

BillyBobBS wrote: »
    I'd say this thug is just the tip of the iceberg in terms of what happens in Hollywood.

It gets a hell of a lot darker if you read what Corey Feldman has to say about Hollywood.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

"That's locker room" - locker room when you're a conservative, inappropriate when you're a liberal Jew. :)

In fairness in case of Weinstein it seems to be a bit more than just talk that they have on him. Don't make him a victim of political witch hunt. If allegations are true he abused his power decades.

It gets a hell of a lot darker if you read what Corey Feldman has to say about Hollywood.

There was a documentary recently that shone a light in some very dark Hollywood corners, particularly on the matter of child sexual abuse in Hollywood.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/An_Open_Secret

Strange how the loudest, most powerful celebrity voices around the world who have an opinion on EVERYTHING else were strangely quiet...

I just don't get it. Are they bought off, threatened, or worst of all, just empty virtue signalling cowards?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Elijah Wood said Hollywood is pretty messed up for child actors as well.

http://variety.com/2016/film/news/elijah-wood-pedophilia-hollywood-problem-1201781021/

Terminated :)

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/harvey-weinstein-at-weinstein-1046874

"The directors of The Weinstein Company [...] have determined, and have informed Harvey Weinstein, that his employment with The Weinstein Company is terminated, effective immediately."
    Harvey Weinstein has been terminated from The Weinstein Company.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭Noel82

Odd how Obama and Clinton stayed quite...

Clinton was his next door neighbor

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,733 ✭✭✭SeanW

President Trump made some stupid remarks.

Harvey Weinstein actually abused women. His actions went FAR beyond Trumps.

If you can't see the difference between making dumb comments and actually abusing people, it suggests at minimum a very narrow mindset.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,093 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Elijah Wood said Hollywood is pretty messed up for child actors as well.

http://variety.com/2016/film/news/elijah-wood-pedophilia-hollywood-problem-1201781021/

He had to back track after going on record about that. He issued a statement a few days later denying everything. That's why no one high profile speaks out, their careers would be over if they did.

There is an excellent article in the Chicago Tribune about Harvey Weinstein and his political connections. And guess who Weinstein was a fundraiser for?

949x534

http://www.chicagotribune.com/lifestyles/stevens/ct-life-stevens-sunday-harvey-weinstein-liberal-anger-1009-story.html

In other news, Weinstein's lawyer Lisa Bloom has quit as his legal representative:
    https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/07/business/lisa-bloom-weinstein-attorney.html

This ball is really starting to roll on this one. We could be looking at the biggest sex abuse scandal since the Catholic Church revelations in the 90's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭BillyBobBS

Sometimes all it takes is a spark like this and the whole thing can unravel before our eyes. Hollywood is a cess pit. If even a quarter of the rumours about some of the stuff these guys get up are true then the Hollywood virtue signaling jet set are at best criminals and at worst pure evil.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Candie wrote: »
    I wouldn't go assuming that any actress is only successful because she put out. It's just a little unfair, unless you've evidence other than your opinion of them as an actress.

Sharon Stone was very beautiful, sometimes that's enough.

and sometimes it isn't, and you have to go that "extra mile"

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

BillyBobBS wrote: »
    Sometimes all it takes is a spark like this and the whole thing can unravel before our eyes.
    I doubt it BB. Like I said earlier when stuff like this does come out and the scapegoat is unmasked it acts as a pressure release and makes it look like Hollywood is cleaning up its act, but otherwise it's business as usual.

What may cause issues is the continuing silence of stars, particularly big name women stars who have sung this guys praises for decades. Streep an obvious one. But it's all about the profile and cash. She'll pipe up when it looks like either of those are threatened.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,177 ✭✭✭PeterParker957

I wonder why Rose McGowan and others weren't "brave" enough to speak out 20 years ago when the "abuse" was meant to be happening ?

Clearly putting up with it got their careers progressed - and if you are willing to accept that, it's no business of mine.

But don't come the victim decades later and expect to be taken seriously.

I wonder why Rose McGowan and others weren't "brave" enough to speak out 20 years ago when the "abuse" was meant to be happening ?

Clearly putting up with it got their careers progressed - and if you are willing to accept that, it's no business of mine.

But don't come the victim decades later and expect to be taken seriously.

Oh you mean only those women who are prepared to sacrifice their livelihoods are victims.

It's funny how abusive behaviour can be so easily excused and how victims are held up to unrealistic standards and abuse is ok because nobody said anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,177 ✭✭✭PeterParker957

meeeeh wrote: »
    Oh you mean only those women who are prw

Don't know what prw means but whilst he is (if accusations are proved) a horrendous pervert, my point does stand that you can't accept a "perk" and then cry about it later, especially knowing that you staying silent and growing your fame may have led to others being abused.

• Advertisement

Don't know what prw means but whilst he is (if accusations are proved) a horrendous pervert, my point does stand that you can't accept a "perk" and then cry about it later, especially knowing that you staying silent and growing your fame may have led to others being abused.

I posted the reply by mistake too early. Anyway would you be prepared to loose your career by speaking against someone in position of power. How much would you be prepared to sacrifice.

Advertisement