Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

you tube.com rdf video

• 04-07-2006 12:56am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 791 ✭✭✭

Dam i should be in bed.....Found this pretty decent video of a few live exercises withe an RDF batt. Hopefully not all will have seen it.

It might answer some questions of what people were expecting they might be doing if joining.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7fdy56juAA&search=irish%20army

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

Bad music mad me close that tab I'm afraid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Nice video but the music wasn't the best.

NMM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 791 ✭✭✭fightin irish

Yeah the music is pants alright, But good footage of the mortar firing and the gpmg on the range.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

The lads look very happy because they are up in a chopper.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

wouldn't you be? beats driving around in a car.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

Dam i should be in bed.....Found this pretty decent video of a few live exercises withe an RDF batt. Hopefully not all will have seen it.

It might answer some questions of what people were expecting they might be doing if joining.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7fdy56juAA&search=irish%20army

yeah right join the army and fire at the skyand have no-one shooting at you :rolleyes:

The only thing that was fired skyward in the video were mortar shells.
    That is the way they are normally used. They fly in an arc towards the target.
    You don't know much about things that go bang do you?

NMM

yeah right join the army and fire at the skyand have no-one shooting at you :rolleyes:

Have you anything intelligent to add to the thread? If you read this forum you will see alot of people asking what the RDF is like and that they are thinking to join......So maybe this video gives a little insight of what to expect.

Do you understand the idea of mortars?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,398 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Admittedly not a bad video for an amateur effort and considering the budget for this was probably SFA other than the pleasure of making it I suppose.

However if anyone looking at this thinks that by joining an infantry batallion of the RDF they are going to have the luxury of having two (or even one) Alouette helicopters at their disposal every weekend then they are sadly mistaken so it's not exactly an accurate impression of a 'typical' days exercise now is it? :rolleyes:

Even British TA infantry don't get that kind of budget and they actually serve in war zones like Iraq and Afghanistan.

The GPMG and mortar stuff was accurate enough as was the whole idea of the RDF being a good social outlet! Good job overall, shame about the music chosen. :D

Yeah i should of said that about the choppers. I spent five or so years in the FCA and never even smelled a chopper.

Altho by the looks on the 3 guys faces, they looked like 6 year olds on the big wheel at funderland for the first time:D

• Advertisement

Altho by the looks on the 3 guys faces, they looked like 6 year olds on the big wheel at funderland for the first time:D

Yep, their faces reminded me of when the Summer Project took us to Belgard Fire Station when I was six and we were allowed into the cabin of the fire appliance while the siren and lights were on :D

Have you anything intelligent to add to the thread? If you read this forum you will see alot of people asking what the RDF is like and that they are thinking to join......So maybe this video gives a little insight of what to expect.

Do you understand the idea of mortars?

oh very clever you expect me to get into a technical discussion on mortars now do you.

firing at the sky was a general term for the shooting in the vid, as i said i await to see you talk about people on the receiving end which the kids at school will not see

lostexpectation, this is a military forum. Dicussion of mortars being fired skyward towards their targets is the norm around here. That was obviously a practice range so no people were at the receiving end.

This is the sort of discussion that will go on around here whether you like it or not. If you don't like it please feel free to withdraw from the forum without criticising it further and there will be no hard feelings all round. If you choose to participate in the forum you will be made welcome, but if you try to undermine it you will get an instant red card.

Hagar (Mod mode on)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭babybundy

i must say one thing i love asking recruits for bodies to do the butts on the mortars ranges and someone always puts up there hands :D:D:D

im not being critical of the forum at this moment, although I don't know why I can't be? its here there's little I can do about this, I have posted once or twice in this forum in a genuine way, but the point I made in the forums forum, that you would not discuss those on the receiving end is correct, whether or not you agree with it or not, and an opportunity to raise that point came up with this recruitment video, I don't think its an outlandish point to be made?

im not being critical of the forum at this moment, although I don't know why I can't be?
    Because it says so in the Charter. Did you read it yet? Complaints via PM or Feedback, not on threads.
    the point I made in the forums forum, that you would not discuss those on the receiving end is correct
    The technical term for those on the receiving end is "the enemy". In general armies are only concerned about their neutralization not their future well being. We'll probably operate along the same lines.
    I don't think its an outlandish point to be made?
    No. It's not an entirely outlandish point, but as per Charter this thread is not the place for it.

Now either go to PM / Feedback , contribute to the thread or just read what others are posting.

Hagar (Mod mode on)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Absolute crap. The music, and 90% of the video is a straight copy of a video that was produced some years ago...

testicle wrote:
    Absolute crap. The music, and 90% of the video is a straight copy of a video that was produced some years ago...

No one is denying that. That add ran for a long time on RTE, The main piece of the footage is the footage on the mortar range and the firing range and also the choppers and thats the sole reason i linked it.

Hagar wrote:
    The technical term for those on the receiving end is "the enemy". In general armies are only concerned about their neutralization not their future well being. We'll probably operate along the same lines.

LOL, right right, that really made me burst out laughing, so the people on the receiving end of the astray german bombers during WW2 are the enemy? *cowers in house afraid of his neighbours*

what about the about the Irsh Army receiving fire (as not seen on youtube) are they the enemy *confused*. What about collateral damage.

That recruitment video and one the TV show a whole lot of nothing

it is the place for it, I was talking about the recruitment video, that is what I was discussing not the idea of the forum itself, I accept the forum as far as that matters.

LOL, right right, that really made me burst out laughing, so the people on the receiving end of the astray german bombers during WW2 are the enemy? *cowers in house afraid of his neighbours*
    Well the Germans thought they were but then again the people thought the Germans were the enemy.
    what about the about the Irsh Army receiving fire (as not seen on youtube) are they the enemy *confused*.
    Erm, yes, they would be someone's enemy in that scenario. There's probably a forum just like this in Outer Jibrovia where the do think of Ireland as the enemy and your equivalent is driving my equivalent equally nuts.
    What about collateral damage.
    That's why they practice, so that they will hit their intended target and not cause collateral damage.
    That recruitment video and one the TV show a whole lot of nothing
    That's your personal opinion.
    it is the place for it I was talking about the recruitment video, that what I was discussing not the idea of the forum itself, I accept as far as that matters.
    I'm sorry I would respond but I can't make out what you are trying to say.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭cushtac

i await to see you talk about people on the receiving end which the kids at school will not see

They're unlikely to see anything on the receiving end other than cardboard targets, given that the RDF does not go overseas.

cushtac wrote:
    They're unlikely to see anything on the receiving end other than cardboard targets, given that the RDF does not go overseas.

so who is it they are practicing at shooting at?

so who is it they are practicing at shooting at?

C'mon lostexpectation, so you are anti-war, anti-RDF whatever. Give it a rest! You've made your point.

The RDF is necessary for a number of reasons and could one day see overseas service with the UN. Not anytime soon I imagine but nevertheless, the British TA see plenty of overseas service and that is only a relatively recent occurrence, yet they have proven themselves worthy and useful.

I've just deleted a huge chunk of my reply here because I feel that you are one of these people who there is no reasoning with, a closed mind, already made up with no willingness to be open. You'll only pick holes to satisfy your own objectives. I'm sure you'll pick holes in what I've said here but feel free I won't be replying ;):p

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭whupass

lostexpection the R.D.F. train to shoot TARGETS they do this for a number of reasons as hagar said this reduces collateral damage. would you rather theyy practice on people?

Advertisement