Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Handwriting decipher thread *must post link to full page*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭ath262

Mountrivers House

funeral to Aghabullogue

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭JDERIC2017

ath262 wrote: »
    Mountrivers House

funeral to Aghabullogue

Is Mountrivers house in cork?

JDERIC2017 wrote: »
    Is Mountrivers house in cork?

there are several - including one in Co. Cork, see Landed Estates.ie

what year is the death notice ?

the word after Mountrivers House looks like Rylane, a village in Co. Cork north east of Macroom - maybe another Cork Mountrivers ?

make more sense in this case than the Carrigaline Mountrivers and it's in Aghabullogue civil parish.

from Lewis Directory for Aghabulogue parish Co. Cork 'Mountrivers N. Whiting esq.'

• Advertisement

there are several - including one in Co. Cork, see Landed Estates.ie

what year is the death notice ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭chooseusername

JDERIC2017 wrote: »

Death register gives age as 69, Macroom district place of death Mounttrivers - so the Agahbullogue one. There are townlands named Rylane and Mountrivers in the parish.

Rylane townland & village on Logainm, Mountrivers townland is nearby, historic OS maps show the house

Death register gives age as 69, Macroom district place of death Mounttrivers - so the Agahbullogue one. There are townlands named Rylane and Mountrivers in the parish.

Rylane townland & village on Logainm, Mountrivers townland is nearby, historic OS maps show the house

Thanks for the help everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭louis346789

Hi All.
    This is from an old burial record.
    Looking for ideas on the name of the Mullan who was buried on the 6th May 1791.
    Thank you.
    Louis

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭stopthevoting

Jacobus (James)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

Jacobus (James)

Yes, remarkably clear for 230 years old, unless it was copied subsequently.

It's a lovely manuscript of approx 40 pages. It's the original. I photographed the pages today in the Ofiach library Armagh.a special word of thanks to the curator Mr Roddy Hegarty for facilitating me.
    Thanks for deciphering James Mullen.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Mick Tator

I don't envy you with Mullen. One of my 2nd great grandmothers was one, from Coleraine On her marriage cert she is Mullen and her father is McMullin: the family often used Mullan and Mullins. Spread the net wide!

I photographed the pages today in the Ofiach library Armagh.a special word of thanks to the curator Mr Roddy Hegarty for facilitating me.
    Change of personnel since I was there, is Bernard still there?
    It's good to hear that it is open, I wish libraries and archives down here would cop on and reopen also.

Hi All
    More help please.
    The person burial on 2 Dec 1824 in Dromiskin
    I wish it is a Mullen.
    Looks more like millar though.

However no people called Miller in the Griffith.
    Louis

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭stopthevoting

For the surname, as you say, I think it is Miller/Millar, not Mullen.
    I think the second-last letter is probably E rather than A.

For the first name, it could be Richd for Richard.
    That would be the letters R I C H followed by a superscript D.

I considered Michl for Michael, but the first letter does not seem to be M,
    and the superscript does not look like L.

I also considered Patck for Patrick, but what should be a T is not crossed,
    and there does appear to be a dot for a letter I, and a superscript letter D at the end,
    and anyway it would usually be Patk rather than Patck.

So of these three names, I think Richd. is the most likely,
    even though the R is difficult to make out and looks like it is two separate characters rather than one letter.

I also had it as Richard.
    Thank you for helping.

However no people called Miller in the Griffith.
    Louis

Did you try the tithe applotments ( national archives of Ireland genealogy website)?, Much closer to 1824. A family of Millars could have emigrated by the time Griffith's men got to dromiskin.
    Definitely Rich[ar]d Millar.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,430 ✭✭✭✭Deja Boo

There is a Richard Miller (protestant) listed on the 1766 Religious Census index for Dromiskin parish, Co. Louth.

• Advertisement

Hi thanks for this. I forgot to check the religious census. Yes Millar is a local name.
    Louis

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,612 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Entry 498, is that middle name Wilhelmina or similar?

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1915/01361/1561285.pdf

She gave W N as her middle initials at marriage (UK BMD index)

Yes that looks right. Maybe Wilhemina, as I can't see a second letter L.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭chooseusername

Could it be Millicent?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1904/01806/1707759.pdf

Entry 154, any thoughts on middle name Elizabeth ? Murphy

Was thinking Mary but seems to be too many characters.

TIA

• Registered Users Posts: 13,430 ✭✭✭✭Deja Boo

it seems like Mary to me, given the way in which he writes A's - 155 informant Mary or 156 Lawrence and Sarah as examples - a loop before a descender (he just hadnt connected the 2 as well), and he seems to've made an extra effort in looping the first part of the r, making it look like more letters, but not (imo)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Hmm, that's a little tough. It's probably Mary but there is an extra loop. Several other examples of Mary on the page.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭VirginiaB

The capital M looks different from the others on the page which all have a line starting at the bottom of the line. Could it be a W or an N? I've played around with this and am stumped.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,107 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I would be pretty sure it's Mary.
    Looking at other pages, he is not always consistent with his initial Ms.

I have separated out the letters of what he has written.

557148.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭Jellybaby_1

Comparing it with 150 the mother, Mary Briscoe, it looks the same, big vote for Mary from me too.

Advertisement