Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Galway traffic

Comments

In case you're wondering where the "active travel" funding is being used. The mind boggles.

https://twitter.com/conorkearney/status/1382271392784191491?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭what_traffic

In case you're wondering where the "active travel" funding is being used. The mind boggles.
    Totally expected to be honest, what is that saying about leopard and spots.
    Always get sense they are making up stuff as they along when you see implementation attempts like this, they have no template, or built up knowledge of how to approach a problem.
    Design manuals exist but they just don't see to use them.
    Do any of the people in the top positions in City Hall live here in the City?
    Does City Manager live in Galway (City or County) or even Connacht?

Do any of the people in the top positions in City Hall live here in the City?
    Does City Manager live in Galway (City or County) or even Connacht?

I've been pushing for a long time with a lot of councillors, to promote a weekly active travel day in the councils. A day when the car park closes and if the staff wish to drive and pay for parking they are welcome to, but they should also be encouraged to engage in other means of transportation to see what the experience is like for the regular Joe and Joleen Soap

• Registered Users Posts: 17,863 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Seeing this all over the place aswell, some kind of dirty protest by the Council hoping they'll be told to rip them all up? It looks brutal anyway, especially anywhere historic:

https://twitter.com/SilkeRichard/status/1382079613631860737

• Registered Users Posts: 25,656 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Thargor wrote: »
    Seeing this all over the place aswell, some kind of dirty protest by the Council hoping they'll be told to rip them all up? It looks brutal anyway, especially anywhere historic:

https://twitter.com/SilkeRichard/status/1382079613631860737

Not random at all.

Walk down Shop St during the delivery window and you'll appreciate them.

• Advertisement

No standard at all followed for bollards, 3/4 different types within a stones throw of each other. They " need " for them on Shop Street - a pedestrianized street 21/24 hours of the day shows they have NOT addressed the root cause of the problem they are trying to address.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭Private Joker

There's a webinar from the GLUAS commmittee on tuesday the 20th for anyone interested.

link https://www.eventbrite.ie/e/galway-very-light-rail-webinar-tickets-146997446319

• Registered Users Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭serfboard

There's a webinar from the GLUAS commmittee on tuesday the 20th for anyone interested.

link https://www.eventbrite.ie/e/galway-very-light-rail-webinar-tickets-146997446319
    Thanks for posting this, but it’s a complete waste of time talking shop.

Bus Connects is the only public transport solution being offered to Galway, and God knows that’s taking long enough.

Nationally speaking, the only other city in Ireland that might be offered light rail is Cork, and that’s still not definite.

Light rail is even behind the bypass, and that’s a decade away, if ever.

It would be far better, for former Green Party TD, Niall O’Brolochain, to be campaigning for Bus Connects, instead of organising this kind of event, but this, of course, is typical of the Greens and their train fetish.

All that quote was generated from within your own mind SeaSlacker, the aggression and anger doesn't really help the discussion.

I’m just showing how you sound to drivers. As far as they’re concerned, You hate/pity/other them because they’re not of your mind. You think of them as carscum, muck to be cleaned out. And by the look of that upside-down pyramid, they are.

And I’m sorry, but aggression and anger are what you will meet, just as you give yourself when the council make “car friendly” decisions.

One more thing...
    Not necessarily?

549894.png

Can you show me where the wheelchair is on this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

SeaSlacker wrote: »

It's in the purple bit. Can't be seen because it's a purple wheelchair.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,296 ✭✭✭✭zell12

donvito99 wrote: »
    It's in the purple bit. Can't be seen because it's a purple wheelchair.
    :D

I’m just showing how you sound to drivers. As far as they’re concerned, You hate/pity/other them because they’re not of your mind. You think of them as carscum, muck to be cleaned out. And by the look of that upside-down pyramid, they are.

And I’m sorry, but aggression and anger are what you will meet, just as you give yourself when the council make “car friendly” decisions.

Get it all out...

You're way off the mark again. This has nothing to do with being anti-car, it's about thinking ahead so we don't end up in the same situation, only worse. Be careful what you wish for - you'll end up being bumper to bumper on the ring road with no space for new Corrib crossings and a city that spreads beyond Barna. Or is the hope that it'll patch the problem for long enough to he someone else's problem?

I am a driver. I even drive a dirty diesel and do around 30,000km per year (outside of Covid).

But I also think a car is not the correct tool or scalable choice for getting around in a modern growing city. Give us city resident a proper public transport system and segregated cycle ways and it'll free up the outer roads for through-traffic.
    One more thing...

It's an infographic, it's not an exhaustive list of all modes. Wheelchairs are very obviously in the top tier. Here's an alternative visualisation if that helps;

Access-hierarchy-by-mode-Infographic-low-res.jpg

Get it all out...

You're way off the mark again. This has nothing to do with being anti-car, it's about thinking ahead so we don't end up in the same situation, only worse. Be careful what you wish for - you'll end up being bumper to bumper on the ring road with no space for new Corrib crossings and a city that spreads beyond Barna. Or is the hope that it'll patch the problem for long enough to he someone else's problem?

I am a driver. I even drive a dirty diesel and do around 30,000km per year (outside of Covid).

But I also think a car is not the correct tool or scalable choice for getting around in a modern growing city. Give us city resident a proper public transport system and segregated cycle ways and it'll free up the outer roads for through-traffic.

It's an infographic, it's not an exhaustive list of all modes. Wheelchairs are very obviously in the top tier. Here's an alternative visualisation if that helps;

Access-hierarchy-by-mode-Infographic-low-res.jpg

Lost me at get it all out mate. Tldr

Putting disability in the top tier means designing it from the outset, not as an adjunct. Where’s the blind person? The deaf one? the walk frame? Crutches? Electric trike/chair? That top tier needs to be replaced by disabled with a token ablebodied person, not the other way around.

Putting disability in the top tier means designing it from the outset, not as an adjunct. Where’s the blind person? The deaf one? the walk frame? Crutches? Electric trike/chair? That top tier needs to be replaced by disabled with a token ablebodied person, not the other way around.

Whataboutism. As explained, it's an infographic and not an exhaustive list. It shows why a private bike may sometimes still be accommodated in urban design where a private car isn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭McGiver

serfboard wrote: »
    Thanks for posting this, but it’s a complete waste of time talking shop.

Bus Connects is the only public transport solution being offered to Galway, and God knows that’s taking long enough.

Nationally speaking, the only other city in Ireland that might be offered light rail is Cork, and that’s still not definite.

Light rail is even behind the bypass, and that’s a decade away, if ever.

It would be far better, for former Green Party TD, Niall O’Brolochain, to be campaigning for Bus Connects, instead of organising this kind of event, but this, of course, is typical of the Greens and their train fetish.

Whilst I may agree this is the reality, I would ask why is this country run in a way that light rail totally common in European cities of 80-100k people all across the continent is only an option in 1 city other than Dublin in Ireland...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭McGiver

It's embarrassing, they can't build a straight flat pavement and nice, or put bollards in a straight line. A concrete pavement done this way man... I feel sorry for the locals.

And I tottaly ignore the shocking condition this street pavements were in before... that was even more embarrassing, it was like being thrown into the Middle Ages, this is what these narrow broken pavements reminded me of. Just horse turd missing really...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,262 ✭✭✭cgcsb

McGiver wrote: »
    Whilst I may agree this is the reality, I would ask why is this country run in a way that light rail totally common in European cities of 80-100k people all across the continent is only an option in 1 city other than Dublin in Ireland...

It's the way public transport projects are apprased in this country, the English way basically. The process is overly focused on capital cost.

McGiver wrote: »
    But how much land do those City's take up? Thats the problem with majority of Irish Citys - they don't have the density any more.
    Unless City densifies on its current area footprint then light rail wont be a runner for another generation. I think its a mid-to long term goal, a proper Bus spine network from East/West will need to be developed first that would in time be suitable to be converted over to a tram network.

Whataboutism. As explained, it's an infographic and not an exhaustive list. It shows why a private bike may sometimes still be accommodated in urban design where a private car isn't.

Dude, beyond the infograph.

Whataboutism is for things that don’t exist. Everyone needs to use what’s designed, or they’re forced into workarounds. My point on designing for disability instead of pedestrian is that pedestrians can make their way around obstacles easily, but disability requires design around lack of senses & mobility. You can throw down some gravel & call it a pedestrian way, but if you want it accessible, you’ll need to design a clear, smooth surface free of obstacles. It requires thought, as all tiers do, wherever the political activist morons (car drivers too BTW) slot the priorities

• Advertisement

Dude, beyond the infograph.

Whataboutism is for things that don’t exist.

No, whataboutism is the "practice of responding to an accusation or difficult question by making a counter-accusation or raising a different issue".

We were talking about the bypass. In a refusal to discuss a long term viable option you've tried the bring back the aggressive language of others vs cars and now gone off on a tangent about pedestrian vs disability access.
    Everyone needs to use what’s designed, or they’re forced into workarounds. My point on designing for disability instead of pedestrian is that pedestrians can make their way around obstacles easily, but disability requires design around lack of senses & mobility. You can throw down some gravel & call it a pedestrian way, but if you want it accessible, you’ll need to design a clear, smooth surface free of obstacles.

Absolutely nobody disputes that.

There are tiers within the tiers and disability access is top of the top priorities in urban design.
    It requires thought, as all tiers do, wherever the political activist morons (car drivers too BTW) slot the priorities

Those tiers aren't political activism from some "morons", they're the widely agreed approach in pretty much every urban development plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,262 ✭✭✭cgcsb

But how much land do those City's take up? Thats the problem with majority of Irish Citys - they don't have the density any more.
    Unless City densifies on its current area footprint then light rail wont be a runner for another generation.

This is a myth. Not sure where it comes from but it's commonly said even by journalists in the print media but it doesn't stand up to scrutiny. Innsbruck in Austria for example. Slightly bigger than Limerick, but Limerick is more densely populated than Innsbruck. Innsbruck has an extensive Sbahn commuter rail network and a tram network along with a bus connects style bus system. Tickets are fully integrated and buses run 24hrs on certain route.

It's simply that we've copied UK attitudes to pt projects. Irish cities aren't low density, they're about mid range compared to the mainland.

cgcsb wrote: »
    the mainland.

39993740_1004239466417267_3144326650955563008_n.jpg?_nc_cat=108&ccb=1-3&_nc_sid=110474&efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9&_nc_ohc=LVYcb9uXTqoAX99p9C7&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&tp=14&oh=e96f4996587fa0c4e2eb1aee33e92aac&oe=609FF29F

cgcsb wrote: »
    This is a myth. Not sure where it comes from but it's commonly said even by journalists in the print media but it doesn't stand up to scrutiny. Innsbruck in Austria for example. Slightly bigger than Limerick, but Limerick is more densely populated than Innsbruck. Innsbruck has an extensive Sbahn commuter rail network and a tram network along with a bus connects style bus system. Tickets are fully integrated and buses run 24hrs on certain route.

It's simply that we've copied UK attitudes to pt projects. Irish cities aren't low density, they're about mid range compared to the mainland.

I agree re the UK, we copy and paste what they have been doing. In Galway City we have not invested in any significant way in Public transport.
    Re myth. The density of Galway City has halved since 1960, even though population has quadrupled. The thing about Galway City right now ( same for Limerick City), the densest 1km is way out in the suburbs, 500m in every direction around Knocknacarra church for Galway. Where will it be in 25 years time? Based on NEW Developments in the past 5 years in the City, I would be hopeful that mistakes of the past 25 year wont be repeated. Galway County though?
    Love to see a Tram myself, but a proper bus Network will have to come first.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,656 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

... In Galway City we have not invested in any significant way in Public transport. ...

Re myth. The density of Galway City has halved since 1960, even though population has quadrupled. The thing about Galway City right now ( same for Limerick City), the densest 1km is way out in the suburbs, 500m in every direction around Knocknacarra church for Galway.

Ironic that the highest density is about as far as possible away from many jobs, and in the area with the worse public transport.

But let's be clear: in the current political system, cities do not invest in public transport, central government and (pre-covid) the private sector does. Vehicles and labour for route 409 amount to substantial government investment. The fleets run by GoBus, CityLink, Farrells, Burkes etc have also had substantial investment.

But let's be clear: in the current political system, cities do not invest in public transport, central government and (pre-covid) the private sector does. Vehicles and labour for route 409 amount to substantial government investment. The fleets run by GoBus, CityLink, Farrells, Burkes etc have also had substantial investment.

Yup NTA been running the show here for a number of years when it comes to the City Buses - and it shows.
    Same goes for TIII and National Roads like N6/N59/84 - TII want to spend €650,000,000 on a ring road in Galway City
    Any figures? Substantial? how much was spent for 409 - how much does the 409 route bring in say for 2019?

Ironic that the highest density is about as far as possible away from many jobs, and in the area with the worse public transport.
    Not really, NUIG and UHG are the biggest employers in the City. Both are West of the Corrib but agree re public transport. It is poor in the area. Permeability could be greatly improved in Knocknacarra as well.

Study to chose route for the Silverstrand to city centre walkway/cycleway

There will be public consultations during the various stages

It seems the city council have declared a climate emergency, I wonder will this fast-track or delay any projects... probably not!

https://twitter.com/MartinaGp5/status/1384194614094008326?s=19

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement