Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Joe Canning

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

Scored 4 points from sideline cuts on Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭betonit

FatherTed wrote: »
    Scored 4 points from sideline cuts on Sunday.

feckin hell

• Registered Users Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭hawkwing

4 sidelines is brilliant, but of 1-16 only 2 was from play and this included 2 periods of extra time, also the goal was mi**** which should not have gone in so it wasn't nearly as good a display as it looks on paper. WIT's freetaker got a big score too, eoin reid 1-05 from play is a better show in my opinion than canning's??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭gucci

hawkwing wrote: »
    4 sidelines is brilliant, but of 1-16 only 2 was from play and this included 2 periods of extra time, also the goal was mi**** which should not have gone in so it wasn't nearly as good a display as it looks on paper.
    In fairness 1-16 in a final regardless of how many from frees and including extra time isnt a bad return!! Plenty of players might have been presented with the same number of opportunities and not had the same return.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

He's a lovely little hurler. :) Seen him play a few times, his cuts are unreal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

4 sidelines is brilliant, but of 1-16 only 2 was from play and this included 2 periods of extra time, also the goal was mi**** which should not have gone in so it wasn't nearly as good a display as it looks on paper. WIT's freetaker got a big score too, eoin reid 1-05 from play is a better show in my opinion than canning's??

1-9 from frees. 0-4 from sidelines. 0-2 from play and 0-1 from a 65. Not a bad day's work I'd say. He does get plenty of scores from play aswell as being a brilliant freetaker. And when last did you see a player score 4 sideline cuts in one game?

I may be biased being a Galwayman but I'm not one for getting carried away about our young players as we've had too many good underage hurlers who never lived up to their reputation at senior level. That said I'm finding it hard not to be excited about this lad. He's a rare talent.

He's already proved he can handle himself against senior players. In the 2006 club final, at age 17, the Newtownshandrum lads pulled and dragged and hit him at every opportunity and he still finished up with 1-6 (out of 2-8) and a man of the match award. In fact Pat Mulcahy (I think it was) got sent off eventually for persistent fouling on Canning.

An Citeoig mentioned in another thread that he is carrying a bit of weight and that's something he needs to watch. Loughnane actually commented last year, when asked about Canning joing the senior panel, that Joe was nowhere near the required fitness level for county senior. That fitness will surely come if and when Gerlock gets his hands on him. I'm really hopeful that this lad can be a big star for us in the years to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

As an outsider, a relatively young one at that, I don't think I've ever seen a better young player. He is a phenomenal talent and I think he really made Loughnane eat his words about not being built enough for senior hurling after he was kicked and hit and everything else in that final against Athenry a couple of years ago.

I hope he doesn't get an injury of any sort that would hinder him because he is something special I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,282 ✭✭✭megadodge

after he was kicked and hit and everything else in that final against Athenry a couple of years ago.

Did you mean Loughrea ?

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭CyberDave

This guy really is special. He has come in for some rough treatment from oppositon, but he is so good it's the only way he can be stopped. He is overweight slighly and speed isn't one of his strengths. Despite his score in the Fitzgibbon Cup he was bottled up quiet well on a few occasions in open play. Having said that he is flawless in every other aspect of the game. Being a Galwayman, I am looking forward to seeing him line out this year for Galway (preferably at full-forward). I really think he can help deliver a couple of long awaited Liam McCarthys west of the Shannon. It's well time to end Kilkenny's reign. He isn't invincible as Tipp proved in the 2006 Minor final. He is very similar to Eugene Cloonan when he first broke on the scene back in 1997. Cloonan has now ended his career without an intercounty all-ireland senior medal, a terrible shame. I hope the same doesn't happen to this guy.

megadodge wrote: »
    Did you mean Loughrea ?

The final he was abused in was against Loughrea. However, in a way I think it was a valuable lesson for him as a young player and has helped him to become better at dealing with this type of abuse in the game. He will see a lot of similar treatment because he is so talented, it's the only way the oppositon can stifle him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭GAAman

Now i am not much of a hurlin man but credit where its due this lad is one of the greats and best about it is he has alot more of the same ahead to enjoy please god

• Registered Users Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭hawkwing

Hope Canning turns out to be a star, GAA needs them. Reminds me of the lad below whose scoring in both codes will hardly be equalled,one example :

"Tipperary take control as stunning individual display by Declan Browne wipes out Waterford
    GAA

by John Murphy
    Tipperary 4 17 Waterford 3 9
    THE sheer artistry of football All Star Declan Browne illuminated this extraordinary first round Munster Intermediate Hurling Championship game at Pairc Uí Chaoimh yesterday.
    A Tipperary victory looked an out and out improbability when they trailed a rampant Deise opposition by 11 points - 2 6 to 0 1 after just 11 minutes. Waterford were totally dominant and looked so superior that a facile win was on the cards for them.
    Then enter Declan Browne with one of the most outstanding individual displays this or any other venue has witnessed in many a year. He unerringly pointed four frees between the 12th and 22nd minutes before he unleashed an incredible goal blitz that saw him crashing the ball to the Waterford net three times in as many minutes. The first, in the 25th minute, was set up for him by the industrious Ray Killeen. The second a minute later, saw an impressive Colm Morrissey in the role of provider, and the third inside another 60 seconds was all down to the class and silken skills of this rare dual talent.
    Browne’s hat trick enabled Tipp to go in at the half time break leading by two points, 3 7 to 2 8, against all the earlier odds, and with the stiff breeze backing them on the turnover, they were firmly in the driving seat. It was Waterford, however, who made the better second half start and they regained the lead when their top forward, Sean Daly, set up Stephen Cunningham for a peach of a goal.
    Tipp levelled within a minute with a Pat Maguire point and once Morrissey edged them back in front, they were never subsequently headed.
    Browne, brilliant in everything he did, rifled over a brace of points that were sandwiched between his and Tipp’s fourth goal. It was a pure gem as he ghosted past Alan Kirwan, who had earlier replaced the hapless Niall O’Donnell, and planted the ball in the corner of the net.
    His final point in the 59th minute was another marvellous score and it capped a virtuoso performance which yielded Browne a personal tally of 4 12.
    The game ended on a sour and controversial note when Waterford goalkeeper, Alan Robinson was dismissed for a strong challenge on Maguire which forced the full forward’s substitution. It was the final nail in Waterford’s coffin.
    Scorers, Tipperary; D. Browne 4 12, C. Morrissey 0 3, P. Maguire, S. O’Meara 0 1 each.
    Scorers, Waterford; S. Daly 1 1, S. Barron 1 1, S. Cunningham 1 0, B. Hannon 0 3, J. Fitzgerald, B. Henley, A. Fitzgerald 0 1 each.
    TIPPERARY: S. Butler, T. Hogan, M. Ryan, M. Gleeson, D. Keogh, D. Hackett, D. Gleeson, S. Maher, J. Teehan, S. O’Meara, C. Morrissey, D. Corcoran, R. Killeen, P. Maguire, D. Browne. Subs; M. Spillane for Teehan, E. Ryan for O’Meara, P. O’Dwyer for Maguire.
    WATERFORD: A. Robinson, N. O’Donnell, G. Harris, J. O’Donovan, J. Coffey, L. Dalton, B. Wall, G. Power, S. Barron, S. Cunningham, B. Henley, P. Prendergast, B. Hannon, S. Daly, A. Fitzgerald. Subs; A. Kirwan for O’Donnell, J. Fitzgerald for Power, T. Curran for A. Fitzgerald.
    Referee: John Sexton (Limerick). "

Hope Canning turns out to be a star, GAA needs them. Reminds me of the lad below whose scoring in both codes will hardly be equalled,one example :

"Tipperary take control as stunning individual display by Declan Browne wipes out Waterford
    GAA

by John Murphy
    Tipperary 4 17 Waterford 3 9
    THE sheer artistry of football All Star Declan Browne illuminated this extraordinary first round Munster Intermediate Hurling Championship game at Pairc Uí Chaoimh yesterday.
    A Tipperary victory looked an out and out improbability when they trailed a rampant Deise opposition by 11 points - 2 6 to 0 1 after just 11 minutes. Waterford were totally dominant and looked so superior that a facile win was on the cards for them.
    Then enter Declan Browne with one of the most outstanding individual displays this or any other venue has witnessed in many a year. He unerringly pointed four frees between the 12th and 22nd minutes before he unleashed an incredible goal blitz that saw him crashing the ball to the Waterford net three times in as many minutes. The first, in the 25th minute, was set up for him by the industrious Ray Killeen. The second a minute later, saw an impressive Colm Morrissey in the role of provider, and the third inside another 60 seconds was all down to the class and silken skills of this rare dual talent.
    Browne’s hat trick enabled Tipp to go in at the half time break leading by two points, 3 7 to 2 8, against all the earlier odds, and with the stiff breeze backing them on the turnover, they were firmly in the driving seat. It was Waterford, however, who made the better second half start and they regained the lead when their top forward, Sean Daly, set up Stephen Cunningham for a peach of a goal.
    Tipp levelled within a minute with a Pat Maguire point and once Morrissey edged them back in front, they were never subsequently headed.
    Browne, brilliant in everything he did, rifled over a brace of points that were sandwiched between his and Tipp’s fourth goal. It was a pure gem as he ghosted past Alan Kirwan, who had earlier replaced the hapless Niall O’Donnell, and planted the ball in the corner of the net.
    His final point in the 59th minute was another marvellous score and it capped a virtuoso performance which yielded Browne a personal tally of 4 12.
    The game ended on a sour and controversial note when Waterford goalkeeper, Alan Robinson was dismissed for a strong challenge on Maguire which forced the full forward’s substitution. It was the final nail in Waterford’s coffin.
    Scorers, Tipperary; D. Browne 4 12, C. Morrissey 0 3, P. Maguire, S. O’Meara 0 1 each.
    Scorers, Waterford; S. Daly 1 1, S. Barron 1 1, S. Cunningham 1 0, B. Hannon 0 3, J. Fitzgerald, B. Henley, A. Fitzgerald 0 1 each.
    TIPPERARY: S. Butler, T. Hogan, M. Ryan, M. Gleeson, D. Keogh, D. Hackett, D. Gleeson, S. Maher, J. Teehan, S. O’Meara, C. Morrissey, D. Corcoran, R. Killeen, P. Maguire, D. Browne. Subs; M. Spillane for Teehan, E. Ryan for O’Meara, P. O’Dwyer for Maguire.
    WATERFORD: A. Robinson, N. O’Donnell, G. Harris, J. O’Donovan, J. Coffey, L. Dalton, B. Wall, G. Power, S. Barron, S. Cunningham, B. Henley, P. Prendergast, B. Hannon, S. Daly, A. Fitzgerald. Subs; A. Kirwan for O’Donnell, J. Fitzgerald for Power, T. Curran for A. Fitzgerald.
    Referee: John Sexton (Limerick). "

How is it that Browne never turned out for the Tipp seniors?

CyberDave wrote: »

Often wondered that myself. He was surely good enough. Even at intermediate level 4-12 is a phenomenal score.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭An Citeog

CyberDave wrote: »
    aidan24326 wrote: »
    Often wondered that myself. He was surely good enough. Even at intermediate level 4-12 is a phenomenal score.

I'm nearly sure I remember him playing at corner forward for the Tipp senior hurlers a few years ago. Can anybody give a definitive answer?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,282 ✭✭✭megadodge

I remember him playing with the senior hurlers a few years ago also.
    He wasn't bad but I'm not sure did he get that long of a run in order to justify his ability.

Maybe in the League but never in the Championship. I think he chose to concentrate on football then or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭phase-3

Joe Canning will without a shadow of a doubt be the best hurler ireland has seen in about 5 years time. Hes good at everything on the pitch, sideline cuts, frees, so accurate, huge puck and he is very strong. A tad bit slow but that can be worked on.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,397 ✭✭✭✭cson

Looks like he's gonna be playing for Galway this year. Part of a 5 strong Portumna contingent called up by Loughnane. Damien Hayes, Eoin Lynch, Any Smyth and Chunky Hayes being the others while Ollie Canning could yet return, he's taking time to think about returning.

As much as it pains me to say it, I think Galway will do feck all better than last year. Gave Kilkenny a game for 60 minutes and the same again would be a decent achievement. Why? Well our backline is utter ****e. We have the forwards but when your backline contains 2 players, Ger Mahon and Shane Kavanagh, that were part of a defence that conceded 6-20something in the county final, how can you hold much hope for an All-Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Does anyone have a picture of the stamping incident from a couple of years back?

• Advertisement

That's good to hear, but he could well have called up Eugene McEntee as well. The defence isn't as weak as you say. Initially I didn't rate Mahon but he is developing well, Lee is rock solid and Moore makes the full-back line when he is in there. I have been watching Cathal Dervan at corner back for the last few games as well and he seems to be improving with the every game. If Ollie Canning does come back he may well be tried out at full-back. Diarmuid Cloonan is a player that isn't on the panel but I think could have been the solution to the full back problem. We are spoilt for choice in the half back line. Lee is a fixture in the centre. Then you have the likes of Andrew Keary, Shane Kavanagh, Adrian Cullinane, Collins still to come back. The one remaining problem is the full back position. Regan is a good player, but he still isn't a top quality inter county full back to the same standard as 'The Rock' or Noel Hickey. We have plenty of options from midfield up. I don't think this year is going to be as bleak as you predict. I really think we can beat Kilkenny this year if we get a couple of good hard competitive games before we meet them. They are not invincible. If Ollie Canning comes back, Joe Canning gets into better shape, we have a real chance. I think the famine may very well end this year.

Cyberdave I admire your optimism but don't entirely share it. I'd agree with cson that the defence is a problem area. They've been shipping a serious amount of scores over the last few years. The forwards are moving well but we'll struggle to win the big games while the defence is so leaky. If we could get Ollie Canning and Fergal Moore back into the fullback line that would certainly be a big help.

As for Joe Canning it's good to see that he'll be joining up and I'd say even people outside of Galway will be keen to see how he fares at senior level. He needs to lose a few pounds but no doubt Loughnane will get to work on that. We could badly do with having his brother back aswell though.

It balances out though. A defence with a bad full-back ill leak scores, but with a prolific forward line, they can cancel out the mistakes at the other end. I know it's not the ideal situation. A better full back would really eleviate it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,576 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Hurling needs a "star" like Joe Canning.

The game is in decline and needs a boost. Guys like Canning whoare young and articulate are needed,and the GAA needs to protect these players from the hatchet men who are out there and who substitute foul play for skill.
    Galway needs him,hurling needs him.

Hurling needs a "star" like Joe Canning.

The game is in decline and needs a boost. Guys like Canning whoare young and articulate are needed,and the GAA needs to protect these players from the hatchet men who are out there and who substitute foul play for skill.
    Galway needs him,hurling needs him.

He is a very level headed lad, given the fact that he took time out of the game last year so as not to suffer from burn out. He has learned how to cope with the hatchet men since the county final against Loughrea. Having said that though, that doesn't mean they will stop trying to chop him down. I would compare him to a young Henry Shefflin (with more skill). You very rarely hear of Shefflin beinbg treated this way because he can look after himself, Canning is young and will develope this attribute through experience.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/hurling/senior-citizen-1342223.html
    No delays, no subterfuge, no dummy teams, no effort to conceal the inevitable. At last the moment has arrived.

There was a time when Ger Loughnane might have sought to provide some stealth for an asset like Joe Canning on the cusp of his first ever full senior match for his county.

Loughnane may not have introduced the concept of the dummy team, but he has certainly embellished it in the past as a primary weapon in the preparation for a major game.

Fergal Hegarty was Niall Gilligan's 'wooden horse' for Clare's 1997 All-Ireland final with Tipperary. The following summer the established Mike O'Halloran and Conor Clancy were the cloaks of cover for Brian Quinn and Alan Markham in a Munster semi-final against Cork.

Last year Loughnane took the tactic to a new level when he only informed his own Galway players just seconds before the throw-in for their qualifier game against Clare in Ennis as to what the actual team lay-out was. It backfired badly.

This time there may have been a temptation to hold Canning in reserve because that is what's normally done with debutants at this level, especially 19-year-old debutants.

And the thought might have crossed Loughnane's mind to parachute him -- Gilligan style -- into the Gaelic Grounds for Sunday's first league semi-final against Cork.

But what would be the point in all of that? Why disguise the inevitable? Why keep him wrapped in cotton wool for another second when he has shown the ability absorb pressure at every grade he has stepped up to in a much-documented career?

Convinced

An internal match over the weekend that pitted Canning between Damien Hayes and Iarla Tannian convinced Loughnane that the only route to take was the most direct one. So, late on Monday night Loughnane declared his hand earlier than ever before in the week of a match. He named Canning at full-forward beside his Portumna sidekick Hayes and Tannian. The early declaration and the absence of condition or secrecy is a statement in itself that Galway are prepared and ready.

Hurling fans beyond Galway should be excited at the prospect of Canning finally pulling on a maroon jersey at senior level. It's been a while coming.

Conor Hayes tried to tempt him into the squad in the summer of 2006 as he chased a third successive All-Ireland minor medal, a pursuit that ultimately failed when Tipperary hammered Galway in the final.

Last year the spectre of that 2006 Galway senior final that Portumna lost to Loughrea was always in the air as Canning resisted invitations to cross the threshold, citing travel as a preferred summer option.

But once the All-Ireland club championship was wrapped up and a second medal in three years was in his pocket, he was always going to turn to the ultimate challenge in an already decorated career.

Rarely, if ever, has an inter-county hurler or footballer made a debut under the weight of such a bulging profile.

What other young star could expect contracts from a leading sportswear company (adidas) and a leading isotonic drinks provider (Powerade) without ever pucking a ball in an inter-county senior match?

He has the CV to pack out any profile he carries after impressive club and college campaigns this spring.

Perked

His selection has perked up the mood in Galway even more in advance of Sunday's meeting with Cork as the last man to manage an All-Ireland winning senior team in the county observed.

"It's the right time to start him. Galway need their best available team out against Cork and Joe Canning will be part of any Galway team," said Cyril Farrell.

"He's coming off the back of a successful club campaign, he's flying and he has no injury worries. Why wouldn't he take the shortest route to the team?"

Farrell feels he's the best he has seen in Galway since Joe Cooney and nominally describes him as "our Henry Shefflin."

"It might be seen to be putting unnecessary pressure on Joe, but he's well used to it. He's a relaxed sort and I feel hurling in general should look forward to seeing such a great practicioner in action.

"He's a great team player too. People question his pace for senior hurling, but he'll always find enough room to strike off either side. That's the instinct he has."

Fergal Moore returns to the defence after missing the Limerick game, while Fergal Healy has been confirmed as Galway captain, taking over from Alan Kerins who had been holding the armband in David Collins' absence as he recuperates from a bad ankle ligament injury sustained in last year's inter-provincial final.

Galway (SH v Cork) -- J Skehill; C Dervan, T Og Regan, F Moore; A Cullinane, J Lee, G Mahon; K Hynes, R Murray; G Farragher, F Healy, N Healy; D Hayes, J Canning, I Tannian.

Exciting stuff. I'll be at Nowlan Park but will watch if at all possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭GalwayDub2

Have I heard correctly or is it just a rumour that Canning is playing against Cork this weekend?? :)

:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds

Was announced that he was, so there's no rumour about it!

Advertisement