Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Michael Lowry guilty

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭JMNolan

Considering how hard Judge Martin Nolan went on garlic man I presume a there will be a hefty sentence.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,407 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Probation act type of offense I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Zebra3 wrote:
    Gutted for him.

His votes will double at the next election in Tipperary

• Registered Users Posts: 10,217 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Sure he fixed the road

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

He'll spend time in the cooler

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Meh. Wont make a difference to his tenure as a TD or his ability to grab the gombeen vote. Fine and a slap on the wrist incoming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭verycool

Birneybau wrote: »
    Sure he fixed the road

"I understood that reference!"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

verycool wrote: »
    "I understood that reference!"]

Yes but did you understand the 'cooler' reference?

I think you missed it. For shame. You are unworthy of your username.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭BobMc

Conviction should also carry immediate dismissal from Dail too, Dail rules should include any conviction rules you out to hold any office of this country (if it doesnt already)

Lowry has been getting away with this carry on for far too long and I feel the idiots voting for him are just as bad not to realise it

• Registered Users Posts: 13,846 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

He expects to hit 108%!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

JMNolan wrote: »
    Considering how hard Judge Martin Nolan went on garlic man I presume a there will be a hefty sentence.

Literally the first reply. Legitimately impressed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

BobMc wrote: »
    Conviction should also carry immediate dismissal from Dail too, Dail rules should include any conviction rules you out to hold any office of this country (if it doesnt already)

Lowry has been getting away with this carry on for far too long and I feel the idiots voting for him are just as bad not to realise it

Anyone voting for Lowry would do the exact same thing that he does.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭valoren

Lowry is a magnificent bastard. It'll be a fine and a stern word for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭kal7

Great to see Irish courts convicting a white collar crime, nobody should be untouchable.

The scale of financial loss is much greater than many of those in prison.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭Brae100

JMNolan wrote: »

He also gave a North Dublin based doctor 18 months last month for a similar tax offence. If he is to be consistent he should also give Lowry 18 months. But he will in his hoop.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,066 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

keano_afc wrote: »
    Meh. Wont make a difference to his tenure as a TD or his ability to grab the gombeen vote. Fine and a slap on the wrist incoming.

A guy who gets things done will always get elected ahead of a waffler. Having private school accent might get you elected in parts of Dublin but not in the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,871 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

It's been a long time coming. His business connection to Dennis O Brien and Ben Dunne are well documented.

It's amazed me how he has topped the poll in his constituency for decades with the whole country knowing his track record

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    It's been a long time coming. His business connection to Dennis O Brien and Ben Dunne are well documented.

It's amazed me how he has topped the poll in his constituency for decades with the whole country knowing his track record

Because the whole country does not vote for him - just the gombeens in his constituency.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭jiltloop

Totally agree, it should also stop any current and future pension payments especially if the offence was committed while in office.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

People in his constituency genuinely don’t give a fcuk and see him as a loveable rouge

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,131 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

You cannot be a TD if
    You are presently in prison serving a term greater than 6 months

We find out at 1530 Time for a by election

You cannot be a TD if

Anyone in the clann lined up to replace him?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭F34

If he gets a sentence greater than 6 months he looses his Dail seat. Be shocked if they hand him longer than 6 months sure isn’t he great really.

He might just get community service.

Can work on fixing a few roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

jiltloop wrote: »
    Totally agree, it should also stop any current and future pension payments especially if the offence was committed while in office.
    You gotta have safeguards in place to avoid fascists from using the legal system to take control. It's part of the dictator playbook; abuse the legal system to demonise, arrest and detain your opponents.

All you'd have to do is get convictions on minor matters for your opponents to have them barred from office for life, or starve them and their families of incomes.

Obviously you need to have sensible rules in place. If someone is in prison, then they can't serve their constituents. If someone is convicted of using political office for corrupt purposes, their state pension should be forfeit. Draconian punishments, I don't support.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

You cannot be a TD if

He'll appeal and that will take a few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭JMNolan

Omackeral wrote: »
    Literally the first reply. Legitimately impressed.

It's all he'll be remembered for to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,217 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

He and the Healy-Raes went to ALL the funerals and fixed ALL the roads

• Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭BobMc

seamus wrote: »
    You gotta have safeguards in place to avoid fascists from using the legal system to take control. It's part of the dictator playbook; abuse the legal system to demonise, arrest and detain your opponents.

All you'd have to do is get convictions on minor matters for your opponents to have them barred from office for life, or starve them and their families of incomes.

Obviously you need to have sensible rules in place. If someone is in prison, then they can't serve their constituents. If someone is convicted of using political office for corrupt purposes, their state pension should be forfeit. Draconian punishments, I don't support.

I'd hope we'd be pretty far beyond falling into that trap.

Minor matters are fine, but I think most would agree on a list that should bar holding office (ie this particular Tax evasion, murder etc. ) or upon conviction removal from office. To be honest TD's etc should be held to higher standard and I'm hopefull he's shown the door from the Dail

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement