Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Lease Break UK

• 22-05-2020 8:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭

Hi guys, Bit of a speil, but here it goes.

I'm living in a flat near London, have been for two and a half years now. I'm in the middle of a 1 year lease with no break clause.

I'm working in aviation, and as you can imagine its been rough going since February, my wages are halved.

I had decent savings put away, 10% of my annual income.

When I took the hit on wages, I asked my landlord at the time for a temporary drop in rent of 15% to see me through the crisis, with the agreement to pay it back once I'm back on my feet.

He declined.

No major deal, a bit ****, but liveable.

Then six weeks ago my employer has told me I'm moving to their Dublin base in mid June, and my contract will be terminated in London, meaning I lose government support or covid pay. This was unexpected for me as I'd kind of set up shop in England. I won't find another job now, so that's out of the question.

My savings are pretty much now gone into paying the rent and the massive cost of moving everything to Dublin, apartment finding and deposit, etc, etc.

I Informed my landlord straight away of the situation, was willing to let my deposit go as compensation for having to go so abruptly. I'm leaving here early June.

I thought with what's happening he'd be understanding and accept. He was not. He has said I must stay until the contract finishes, or if not, pay all rent and utilities and a re letting fee until a new tenant is found. Which would set me back thousands I legitimately don't have. I've told him I can't afford this. He's threatened to take legal action.

Now I know I am breaking the lease, and I could be lectured on the situation I may be putting the landlord in, but I've got no control over this, and I definitely can't pay for an apartment in London and Dublin on half pay.

Is there anything that might cool off my landlord or an agreement he may go for that won't ruin me?

I have to move, and I can't pay him any more than he has (£2500 deposit and £1000 advance months rent) and I accept that that money is gone.

Any help or advice appreciated. Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

The big landlord playing the bully.

You've been straight and honest with him.

Simply don't give him your forwarding address.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,001 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Darc19 wrote: »
    The big landlord playing the bully.

You've been straight and honest with him.

Simply don't give him your forwarding address.

If the LL is following the UK residential tenancy regulations, it’s a bit disingenuous to describe him as a bully. Contracts are there to protect both parties, if it’s legal and you agree to the terms, the LL may simply be exercising his rights.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Timooo_23

Dav010 wrote: »
    If the LL is following the UK residential tenancy regulations, it’s a bit disingenuous to describe him as a bully. Contracts are there to protect both parties, if it’s legal and you agree to the terms, the LL may simply be exercising his rights.

He is obviously sticking to his contract, but I think the circumstances are pretty exceptional. I was hoping for a bit more understanding and decency.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

There's some information here Timoo but I suspect you're already familiar with most of it:

https://england.shelter.org.uk/housing_advice/private_renting/how_tenants_can_end_a_fixed_term_tenancy/speak_to_other_joint_tenants

I'd certainly investigate adherence to the deposit protection rules if they apply to you. Non-adherence would open other options to you.

Graham wrote: »
    There's some information here Timoo but I suspect you're already familiar with most of it:

https://england.shelter.org.uk/housing_advice/private_renting/how_tenants_can_end_a_fixed_term_tenancy/speak_to_other_joint_tenants

I'd certainly investigate adherence to the deposit protection rules if they apply to you. Non-adherence would open other options to you.

Thanks Graham, I know the law by the letter now alright, I was hoping someone would have a fresh idea as how to find a middle ground.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭tazdustdevil

Could you try and find and recommend a new tenant yourself?

Could you try and find and recommend a new tenant yourself?

I have been on the look out. Nobody is considering moving at the moment though.

In my (very very limited) understanding of the UK Coronavirus Act, tenants are temporarily protected from eviction during 'the period'.

The only thing I can think to suggest is another discussion with your landlord where you highlight the benefits of an apartment available for reletting when compared to an apartment occupied by a non-paying tenant for the duration of 'the period'.

In my (very very limited) understanding of the UK Coronavirus Act, tenants are temporarily protected from eviction during 'the period'.

The only thing I can think to suggest is another discussion with your landlord where you highlight the benefits of an apartment available for reletting when compared to an apartment occupied by a non-paying tenant for the duration of 'the period'.

I’ve tried that in a roundabout way. I don’t want it to sound like a threat, ie; “let me move out or else you’ll have an empty flat for months as I abandon it”

We both know that there’s no evictions until October now because of Covid.

He is being difficult, but I see it from his point of view too.

What are the chances of you finding a replacement tenant and would he be open to that?

• Advertisement

What are the chances of you finding a replacement tenant and would he be open to that?

I have been working on that, but nothing yet. The guys that I know that were going to move, can’t now. And lots of others lost their jobs so they’re going back to their home countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭hurikane

What will you do with the house now?
    Timooo_23 wrote: »
    Hey guys, I’m buying my first house with my other half at the moment, we’re getting a new build that will be finished at the end of April.

I’m wondering has anybody got experience with how the heating oil works? I mean to ask, how much, if any oil “comes with the house”?

Surely they need to have some in it to test the system, etc. I don’t want to bombard my builder with even more questions so any advice would be appreciated!

Thank you.

hurikane wrote: »
    What will you do with the house now?

I don’t want to side track my post and go down that rabbit hole, but for all intents and purposes, that’s gone, along with a lot of other grand plans I had before covid.

For this thread I’d just like advice on how to keep the landlord and me as happy as possible in my current situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭The_Fitz

When I lived in the UK i used a good forum called Landlordzone - google it and stick your question in there.

The_Fitz wrote: »
    When I lived in the UK i used a good forum called Landlordzone - google it and stick your question in there.

Thank you very much! That’s a great resource that google never showed me. Seems there’s quite a few people in a similar boat.

Most landlords seem to think what I’ve done is as fair as I can do given the stated circumstances.

Advertisement