Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Public Health (Alcohol) Bill being debated in the Seanad at the moment.

• 26-10-2016 7:13pm

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/first-look-booze-curtains-at-centre-of-controversial-seanad-debate-35164271.html
    Minister of State for Health Promotion Marcella Corcoran Kennedy came under fire in the Seanad this afternoon over her proposals to introduce ‘structural separation’ in shops so that alcohol is not visible to customers.

Sweet f**kin jaysus. Give me patience. How the f**k as a general populace do we allow such utter idiots into positions of power? The policy of our 'rulers' to treat adults in this country as drooling children appears to have no limits. Why in the deity's name don't we have an army in this country with a history of overthrowing governments that behave like incompetent c**ts? Discuss.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

I'll still find it though.

So stupid, just leave it alone already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭Barry Badrinath

This is beyond stupid.

Stop looking to implement new bolloxology for the sake of making it look like you are doing your job.

Stupid bastards

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Arcade_Tryer

Structural separation sounds like a good idea in theory tbh.

Minimum alcohol pricing on the other hand...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭Barry Badrinath

Structural separation sounds like a good idea in theory tbh

On what basis?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,077 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Why don't they go all the way while they are at it and make the shops install a confession box.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Right, that's it. If I can't see the booze the minute I enter the shop, I'm going teetotal.

• Structural separation sounds like a good idea in theory tbh.

Minimum alcohol pricing on the other hand...

Tesco, Dunnes etc will continue to stock and sell alcohol. If its 'not visible to customers' will alcoholics suddenly believe its actually not there, go home and stop drinking as a result? I mean seriously?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

The vintners assoc have their fingers all over this. How about we hide their pubs and stop all alcohol advertising? Feck off ye bunch of nannies.

Listen here http://www.rte.ie/radio1/today-with-sean-o-rourke/

An Environmental Health Officer explaining how she is going to enforce legislation that is only going through the Oireachtas.

Apparently they are going to make sure that retail outlets are compliant. She describes putting stickers on the doors of fridges so you can't see the drinks inside in case you buy on impulse.

Frankly, I need a drink after listening to it!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,639 ✭✭✭buried

This makes no sense. If I have to go around looking in different compartments and cupboards for the particular bottle of drink I want, all that is going to achieve is introducing me to countless other varieties of other drinks, and if some of these drinks look nice I'll probably purchase them, along with the drink I had intended to get.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭WhoWhatWhere

Same nonsense when they covered up cigarettes to stop people buying

It didn't work

• Registered Users Posts: 8,031 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

elperello wrote: »

Apparently they are going to make sure that retail outlets are compliant. She describes putting stickers on the doors of fridges so you can't see the drinks inside in case you buy on impulse.

That's ridiculous. Are you going to have to open the door of every fridge until you find what you want? What about the shelves? Blackout curtains over them? Ffs

• Registered Users Posts: 12,265 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Fecking stupid it is, what is wrong with going up the aisle grabbing a six pack and presenting it at the counter, what next, supermarkets won't be able to show drink deals or prices.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

The only place I've seen this happen is in North Africa. Since when did we want to copy Morocco's social traditions?

If someone wants to buy a few cans they shouldn't have to be skulking around some gaff partitioned off like a sex shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Arcade_Tryer

On what basis?
    Tesco, Dunnes etc will continue to stock and sell alcohol. If its 'not visible to customers' will alcoholics suddenly believe its actually not there, go home and stop drinking as a result? I mean seriously?
    It's pretty obvious the intention is to deter impulse buying of alcohol e.g. a person doing the shopping and suddenly seeing a bottle of wine beside some groceries and throwing it in the trolley. Simple really. Sounds good in theory. Not sure if the evidence supports it though. Are you?

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭DundalkDuffman

So offys are ok, Phew I will tip up and let my local one know right now. Oh wait it's 22.06.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,031 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

It's pretty obvious the intention is to deter impulse buying of alcohol e.g. a person doing the shopping and suddenly seeing a bottle of wine beside some groceries and throwing it in the trolley. Simple really. Sounds good in theory. Not sure if the evidence supports it though. Are you?

What's wrong with someone impulse buying a bottle of wine really though? If they're an adult, what's the issue? I'm sure far more people buy unhealthy food like chocolate and crisps on impulse. Maybe that should be hidden from view too?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,020 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Winterlong wrote: »
    The vintners assoc have their fingers all over this. How about we hide their pubs and stop all alcohol advertising? Feck off ye bunch of nannies.

Correct!!

elperello wrote: »

An Environmental Health Officer explaining how she is going to enforce legislation that is only going through the Oireachtas.

Why isn't the ENVIRONMENTAL officer concentrating on the ENVIRONMENTAL impact of opening and closing a fridge door again and again and again?

So stupid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

It really is remarkable how well our economy is performing with the utter buffoons that frequent the corridors of Leinster House. I despair at the thought of how much better the country could be if we actually had a good government. No doubt housing, health and public transport would all be in a much better state than they are now and we wouldn't have useless institutions like the Seanad still knocking about.

Senators, you're lucky to still be here. Please focus your energies on something meaningful instead of moaning about all Ireland tickets and stupid nanny measures like sectioning off alcohol.

• Advertisement

Seems that is one of the aims of this part of the Bill.

So you have an adult with a trolley doing their shopping and they will not be trusted to decide for themselves whether they need that bottle of wine or not. Drinks will be hidden away in cupboards or behind curtains.

I don't care if this Bill has evidence to support it or not, it is offensive to infantilise people in this manner

Next thing we're all going to be made wear helmets so we don't hurt ourselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

Welcome to the RC Church hangover from the RC church for those not in the RC Church. We know better than you little people. Don't worry about us Drinking expensive booze and drinking large amounts … You are just not allowed to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

It looks like it's curtains for alcohol.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Could work I've often gone into my local shop hammered and bought stuff simply because I saw it.

gimli2112 wrote: »
    Could work I've often gone into my local shop hammered and bought stuff simply because I saw it.

That's not the issue, the issue is for me anyway, the whole nanny state. We don't need the government to hide the alcohol from us, as adults it's our choice whether to purchase it or not, and if we do well great if we don't great also! They need to relax a bit to be honest. It's gone past a joke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Advbrd

I've often been in the middle of the weekly shop when suddenly I am confronted by 20 bottles of Miller for 20 euro. Without fail, I drop the shopping, grab the Miller and fcuk off down the canal for the day. Sometimes I pay for the Miller.
    What utter horsesh1t.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

The Beer Cave in the picture looks fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,708 ✭✭✭lertsnim

The same house that is on record about Facebook rapes. Why did we vote to keep it.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

Why do we even bother starting these threads? Those sanctimonious out of touch f**king C**TS in power will put these ridiculous rules in place, and we'll just suck them up as usual. This country is a joke.

Advertisement