Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Burning the Poppy - A thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Jonybgud

yak yak yak...

bury the hate not the people, that is all.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

NIMAN wrote: »
    It's not actually.

It's only really worn by a small minority.

But its worn by near 99% of people on tv, that's why we all think the whole country is wearing them.

I watched a couple of interviews on British tv over the last couple of days. One was at a train station and the other on a high street. It was very rare to see anyone in the background with a poppy.

I was in Belfast today. In case people don't know, there would be a lot of unionists there. I think I see maybe less than 10 people wearing one.

Talking through your hole as usual

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

There's something going wrong in your life if you get worked up about someone calling themselves Miss Feral Bap Queen burning a bit of plastic.

She's deleted her account and someone calling themselves "Not an entitled irish millenial snowflake" is using her Twitter handle. It keeps him off the streets I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

There's something going wrong in your life if you get worked up about someone calling themselves Miss Feral Bap Queen burning a bit of plastic.

She's deleted her account and someone calling themselves "Not an entitled irish millenial snowflake" is using her Twitter handle. It keeps him off the streets I suppose.
    Anyone going up the ra and burning the poppy in this day and age in this country IS a self entitled millennial ..with zero class.

She's an 18 or 19 year old girl burning a plastic flower. Someone took over her Twitter handle solely to devote his time to posting shite about her because he hates 'snowflakes'. That's a great way to prove your non-snowflake credentials alright.

494898.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

People are funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

NIMAN wrote: »
    It's not actually.

It's only really worn by a small minority.

But its worn by near 99% of people on tv, that's why we all think the whole country is wearing them.

I watched a couple of interviews on British tv over the last couple of days. One was at a train station and the other on a high street. It was very rare to see anyone in the background with a poppy.

I was in Belfast today. In case people don't know, there would be a lot of unionists there. I think I see maybe less than 10 people wearing one.

We believe you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Personally I have associated the wearing of the Poppy as tacit support of the British armed forces, I know it is supposedly in reference to the fallen of WWI and conflicts onwards but that's my opinion and I will never wear one or support the wearing of same and that includes the bull**** that clown from Roscommon is promoting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

She's an 18 or 19 year old girl burning a plastic flower. Someone took over her Twitter handle solely to devote his time to posting shite about her because he hates 'snowflakes'. That's a great way to prove your non-snowflake credentials alright.

494898.png
    I swear, the loonbags out there. And plenty here too.
    Edgware wrote: »
    Talking through your hole as usual
    We believe you
    Are you ok? You could have quoted it just once. And what is so unbelievable about it? Oh yeah, nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

The bottom line is that without the sacrifice of thousands of young British, American and Russian soldiers we would be living under Nazi rule.

And there wouldn't have been any Nazis if the same crowd hadn't gone on a d1ck measuring excercise in WW1.
    The poppy craic has gone peak insanity at this stage. Of course it is fulfilling its duty of priming the next generation of men and women as cannon fodder.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

The bottom line is that without the sacrifice of thousands of young British, American and Russian soldiers we would be living under Nazi rule.

Without context your comment is utter bollix

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

Damien360 wrote: »
    Wearing the poppy in the UK is approaching cult status. Woe betide anyone that fails to follow the cult and show their allegiance.

For sure. When did the mass wearing of poppies on British TV begin? I don’t remember it from my childhood.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

Is it the oul war poppy worship season over there already. Well holy god.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭Lucy8080

That over privileged arsehole mustn’t have the intelligence to comprehend what it would have been like to have one hand on that ladder,hearing that whistle knowing it’s certain death

She was a bit naive to do what she did. There was no need for it.

But,the poppy means different things to different folks. I have folks who fought in WW1 and Folks in the War Of Independence.Personally I despise violence. But ,that's easy for me to say.

I've worked with Chinese folks,and watched on at the disgust in their faces when somebody showed up to a meeting with a Poppy on their lapel. No offence was intended ,but the innocence of the wearer told me that British folks interpret the Poppy in ways that others do not. Like folks in Derry or other places in this world.

I know what you mean by your post,and how you want to honour those folks.It is coming from a decent place.That poor lad climbing the ladder should be recognised.

Maybe others ,who are not enamoured of the wearing of the poppy,are also coming from a decent place.Maybe their story's/ or uninvited situation (like bloody Sunday/Opium Wars/Kenya etc.) should be honoured too.

That is the conversation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Better Than Christ

SafeSurfer wrote: »
    For sure. When did the mass wearing of poppies on British TV begin? I don’t remember it from my childhood.

As far back as 2006, Jon Snow (the Channel 4 newsreader, not the The Game of Thrones character) was complaining about the fascistic response to his choice not to wear a poppy (a choice consistent with his refusal to wear an AIDS ribbon, a breast cancer ribbon, a Marie Curie flower, a Red Cross, any other symbol) while reading the news.

It's a mad country, England... getting madder by the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

Attention seeking eejit though. And I don't agree with the "I defend her right to do it" stuff. Well I suppose she can, but others have the right to criticise her.

Apparently her parents got harassed over it though - nut-jobs who'd do that over someone being disrespectful haven't a brain cell.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

When you have privileged retards that take their liberty for granted, without strive nor hardships, this is what you get.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,267 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Raconteuse wrote: »
    I swear, the loonbags out there. And plenty here too.

Are you ok? You could have quoted it just once. And what is so unbelievable about it? Oh yeah, nothing.

Edgy most have forgot to log out and log back in with his other sock

Boy Georges lyrics have gone downhill.

494901.png

I was going to reply to him with a bad poem of my own but I decided against it. So it doesn't go to waste I'll post my shitty poem here.

Boy George beat a man with a chain
    He beat in his brain
    He had little remorse
    When it came to humans of course
    But whined about a poppy made of plastic
    Because he was a prick

• Registered Users Posts: 19,936 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Damien360 wrote: »
    Wearing the poppy in the UK is approaching cult status. Woe betide anyone that fails to follow the cult and show their allegiance.

That's not true. Everyone on TV wears them but normal people don't
    tend to wear them. I've lived a d worked in the UK during poppy season and most people don't wear them. Some people wear 20 poppies of different kinds and almost none of the people I lived and worked with wore a poppy. It just doesn't arise in normal life - outside of TV or Twitter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,552 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Good article here on it here re the abuse James McClean and how it's becoming something it wasn't supposed to be

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Everyone says it’s for WW 1 & 2 but also covers the Boar wars where the lovely army created concentration camps which is where Hitler got the idea, they forget that bit of history

I with James McClean on this one

• Registered Users Posts: 15,004 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

I was watching Strictly Come Dancing last night (stick with me on this)

In one segment of the show a contestant and his professional dancer were out on a race track driving a high performance car (all part of the stuff they put in the show as part of the background to what the pair did in preparation etc)
    At the track a race car driver presented the contestant with a trophy for some race the contestant had won.
    The race car driver in full racing gear was wearing a poppy.
    For the 5 seconds he was as on it was made abundantly clear that he was wearing a poppy, you could not miss it, it looked so out of place on his motor racing outfit.

So someone in the BBC had to make sure that this person for this fleeting moment on TV had to be wearing a poppy, even though it looked daft, or else there would be a backlash from somewhere.

It's gone nuts.

However, it was refreshing to see Niall Horan not wearing one on Friday night on Norton's show.
    I don't know or care about Horans politics but I'm guessing he was requested to wear one and declined.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,552 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

In one segment of the show a contestant and his professional dancer were out on a race track driving a high performance car (all part of the stuff they put in the show as part of the background to what the pair did in preparation etc)
    At the track a race car driver presented the contestant with a trophy for some race the contestant had won.
    The race car driver in full racing gear was wearing a poopy.
    For the 5 seconds he was as on it was made abundantly clear that he was wearing a poopy, you could not miss it, it looked so out of place on his motor racing outfit.

So someone in the BBC had to make sure that this person for this fleeting moment on TV had to be wearing a poopy, even though it looked daft, or else there would be a backlash from somewhere.

It's gone nuts.

However, it was refreshing to see Niall Horan not wearing one on Friday night on Norton's show.
    I don't know or care about Horans politics but I'm guessing he was requested to wear one and declined.

What have nappies got to do with anything?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Gynoid

What is outrageous is this - in order to see a 16 second video at that link of a girleen being a little bit silly, (lads thats pretty tame for being mad), I had to sit first through a 30 second advertisement, which had stunningly beautiful imagery, inviting me to consider being a tourist in Saudi Arabia. The same Saudi Arabia, funder of Wahhabist extremism in Europe, that is shunting missiles bought from US and European armaments suppliers, companies with respectable Tax numbers and govt subsidies, over their border to the jihadists in Yemen so they can rain down slaughter on famine stricken civilians. I swear to God, people, irony is completely lost in this mad world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Gynoid

Haha :D:D poopy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Achasanai

In our case i have noticed its more a case of freedom to be a dick.

Makes no sense. It doesn't matter whether it's an English person or an Irish person who burns a poppy. Freedom of speech doesn't apply to just the citizens of a country (or at least it shouldn't).

• Registered Users Posts: 19,936 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Yeah the BBC makes sure nobody forgets to wear one. It makes sense given the climate where some people will go bananas if they're not wearing one. As long as nobody has to wear one, I'm fine with it.

I know you say Kelvin was on screen for 5 seconds in that scene but it probably took half a day to film so it make sense to just have the poppy on at all times. So any 5second snippet that is aired, everyone will have a poppy on. But it's not as if they put on a poppy, film for 5 seconds and take it off again.

Poppy is just part of every costume

• Registered Users Posts: 15,004 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Yeah the BBC makes sure nobody forgets to wear one. It makes sense given the climate where some people will go bananas if they're not wearing one. As long as nobody has to wear one, I'm fine with it.

I know you say Kelvin was on screen for 5 seconds in that scene but it probably took half a day to film so it make sense to just have the poppy on at all times. So any 5second snippet that is aired, everyone will have a poppy on. But it's not as if they put on a poppy, film for 5 seconds and take it off again.

Poppy is just part of every costume

But it wasn't Kelvin I was referring, it was the guy who drove up, with the racing helmet on, in full racing gear, to give him the trophy that was wearing it.

I'd expect Kelvin, the contestant, to have one visible all the, he is lots of air time.
    But the other guy was just on for 5 seconds.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Didn’t the girl from Northern Ireland wear a NI school on Eastenders and some clowns went nuts over it as they thought it was GAA and they supported the IRA or something stupid like that?

Then they have no problem sticking every person on with a poppy which supports concentration camps

Advertisement