Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Halo:The Master Chief Collection

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭maximoose

Yeah no BR is a serious pain. Pistol is your best friend in CE, as the Assault Rifle is absolute shîte playing on Legendary.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,583 ✭✭✭✭ T. Hanks^

I had great aspirations of doing that, but theres no way you could do it solo, the AI is a complete deadeye, and if you watch the minimap, they constantly swarm to your position, regardless of whether or not they could have seen you. I'm running and gunning like mad now on normal difficulty, but I'll still pick up a death here and there due to carelessness. Tbh, I'd probably only end up getting frustrated if it was any harder.

EDIT - also, those par scores and times are nearly impossible to hit.

Halo CE Coop Legendary is not too bad.

It's Halo 2 Coop that's ridiculous.
    If one of two players dies then both have to restart at the checkpoint. It's nearly 'easier' play it on solo legendary.

One Shot Jackels can go ****

• Closed Accounts Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Forest Demon

I was sold on getting an Xbox one with E3. Is there many playing halo MCC online? I read it's hard to get decent games. Also is it dedicated servers?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

mickeroo seems to think its working quite well but im reading the halo waypoint forums and it sounds to me like there are still a lot of problems and no updates coming out

• Registered Users Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭maximoose

Has been working well for me lately, dip in every few days for some BTB.

They must have fixed some of the achievement bugs too, the Lone Wolf cheevo popped for me lastnight just after launching the game

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,393 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

As I said in the other thread I've played it almost every day for the past three weeks and it has been working well for me, granted I haven't had it since day one so don't know what it was like in the early days, so there could still be some issues that I haven't picked up on. The main one for me is being returned to the playlist menu mid search but resetting the xbox fixes it.

I normally stick to team slayer but the kids dip into BTB, Snipers, Halo 4 and my OH plays the Halo 3 playlist mainly, all of which work fine.

Is a bit of an annoyance seeing everyone running around with Hayabusa armour though, having that used to mean something. :D

Finally began my play through of this last week in the lead up to 5, gonna be a couple of weeks before I get around to 5 and can't say I am in any great rush, 4 really killed my enthusiasm of the series.

Halo CE did a good job of getting me back into the series though. My main memory of it was being a slog and infuriating to play through originally but this time around it was nowhere near as bad as I remembered. Some bits are still infuriating, and there is so much backtracking, but I still don't get the hate for 'The Library' level. The pistol is way too overpowered, being able to take down a banshee or one shot a hunter, but probably needed with the lack of BR.

Story also has so many levels, just a straight forward story for the casual gamer but with lots of little hints and nods towards the EU.

Also started Halo 2....f*ck me it's tough, right from the off it's wave after wave of Elites, I had to resort to the 'noob combo' after getting stuck on Cairo Station . This was the only one I'd never played before but it seems like your shields are half the strength of any other game...and Sniper Alley (insert rage meme), by the end of CE Jackals were the enemy I hated most, but this takes them to another level.

There's also a vast improvement in vehicle handling in this, and the puma doesn't feel like it's going to overturn every time you move the thumb stick.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

Halo 2 in my eyes is still the best Halo in relation to story and campaign. And the remastering of the videos and in game graphics just makes it better.

I am only at the beginning of it (just finished the
    tank section
    of metropolis but it really does have that sequel feeling of everything x10. The opening cinematic with Master chief and Arbiter looks amazing and sets the tone for the two characters really well.

I also like the fact that it feels like there is something bigger going on, and you're part of a battle rather than just going from set piece to set piece which other halo games can feel like. Also surprised to see it set on earth as I always thought it was set in space again and Chief didn't return to earth until the beginning of 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

Hi Folks,

Signed up today for live and looking for some game invites. Not played much in the last few years, only got back into it this last 4 weeks so still a bit rusty.

My online tag is

Dai The Flu 420

• Advertisement

Finished 2 last night. And it's actually probably my favourite campaign. Dunno if you just acclimatize but the difficulty does seem to take a drop after the initial levels. But the story, to use a much overused and misused word is epic. I love being able to just sit back and watch the chaos going on around me.

Another great job on remastering it, the cutscences are up there with Halo Wars for me, the music is also brilliant and one of the few times in a game where I felt it really added to the game, especially the piece at the beginning of the level 'Uprising' where the Elites
    are being slaughtered.

Only downsides were that I got some dodgy checkpoints in front of snipers or various enemies, and the mandatory one at the beginning of the 'Gravemind' level in the throne room is very annoying. Sniper Jackals, fairly sure at least one shot me with its back to me. And while sitting back happy with myself waiting for my Legendary achievement to pop, it never happened. Turns out completing one of the levels never registered so I now have to do it again. The level??....'Regret'...about as appealing as the forthcoming 'Cortana'.

Edit: I have also noticed Marines take multiple hits from a beam rifle. Way to undermine the Chief. :pac:

3 down. Have to say this was a walk in the park compared to the first two, so much so that I had to keep checking to make sure it was on Legendary. The initial confrontation with the Covenant is one of the most difficult parts of the game, admittedly due to being stuck with sh!tty weapons and little ammo. Outside of that the only difficult bits were one bit on Tsavo Highway where you get pinned into a little bunker by a load of Brutes, and another bit where you have to scale the tower at the beginning of Halo. Even breezed through Cortana with little difficulty, although sniper flood are a pain in the hole.

I think this and 2 need to be played back to back to appreciate the story fully. And while the
    schism in the covenant was good from a story point, leaving the Brutes as the main enemy really isn't the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Sierra 117

Turtyturd wrote: »
    And while sitting back happy with myself waiting for my Legendary achievement to pop, it never happened. Turns out completing one of the levels never registered so I now have to do it again. The level??....'Regret'...about as appealing as the forthcoming 'Cortana'.

Exact same thing happened to me. The Achievement for beating Regret didn't pop. It still shows up as completed on Legendary on the mission select menu though.
    Edit: I have also noticed Marines take multiple hits from a beam rifle. Way to undermine the Chief. :pac:

That annoyed me so much. They take several beam hits and are grand whilst the Chief dies as soon as a Jackal sniper looks in his general direction.
    3 down. Have to say this was a walk in the park compared to the first two, so much so that I had to keep checking to make sure it was on Legendary.

Yeah, I've constantly been wondering if the game was on Legendary also. I think the lack of Elites really makes a big difference. The Brutes just aren't on par with them when you're fighting them.

Sierra 117 wrote: »
    Exact same thing happened to me. The Achievement for beating Regret didn't pop. It still shows up as completed on Legendary on the mission select menu though.

I actually got him fairly handy the second time around. After every time I boarded his throne I just ran outside and took out three or four honour guards and ran back in.

I think after playing through 3 it's probably displaced 2's short lived reign as my favourite campaign. 3 is just full on, and a constant sense of urgency is present throughout.

Just mopping up the skulls and terminals on 3 and will then head onto 4 over the next few days.

Anyone got a surefire way of getting the IWHBYD skull on Halo 2? Have watched a few videos but can't get the last checkpoint outside the room to appear.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Browning2010

Played mcc online for the first time in a few months over the wknd.

Glad to see they sorted out all the earlier problems, its great online now. Halo 3 and 4 maps, everything running smoothly, bliss 😠.

When reach becomes backward compatible Its going to be a hard time choosing which to play along with 5!!

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭The_N4sir

I bought an Xbox on Saturday with this. Played for the first time yesterday with my brother for three and a half hours and absolutely loved it. So smooth and there is a big difference with 60 fps now imo. Didn't play H2C or any H4 but I was just glad to play H3. Had great craic.

At first I though I wouldn't like H2A but it seems really good.....played one bomb on Relic and really enjoyed it. Mainly going to be playing BTB.
    Only bad thing imo is the way you have to search for a new lobby after every game but I think I can live with it.

After hearing and reading about the terrible launch and the issues that plagued the game, I hope that more people come back to this. I can definitely see myself playing this the majority of the time if it stays like this since it is like the only good split screen fps on Xbox Live which means I can play with the brother

thats good to hear im going to pick it up again over christmas, halo 5 badly needs more maps

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Do you still have to go back to the lobby after every multiplayer match?

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭The_N4sir

Yep... that is the only thing I would change with multiplayer

• Advertisement

That, and I still find it slow to connect to a match.

Compared to Battlefront which I've been playing recently it still takes an age.

halo 5 is perfect imo, any quicker and you wouldn't have a chance to take a breather

Played the Beta - never bought it!

The MCC was meant to be all the Halo I'd ever need. :)

yep i remember that thought also!

Anyone else finding matchmaking has gone terrible again?

Keep getting kicked from the lobby. Used to happen occasionally but switching the console off by keeping my finger on the button would sort it. Now I am just constantly being brought back to the choose game type screen.

Finished 4 last night. A lot shorter than I remember and the other Spartans are a lot less involved. I remember being really let down with it the first time but really enjoyed it this time, and I think that's due to playing all the games back to back in a short time span. The world building is amazing in the series and seeking out the terminals for those little nuggets of backstory really make it worthwhile.

I was let down with the convoluted story first time around, but when you just look at it as the simple humanisation of Master Chief it's much better.

Those 'Watcher' enemies really annoy the hell out of me though. And again the completion achievement for a level didn't pop so had to go back and replay the 'Forerunner' level. Tried to combine it with the achievement for carrying a UNSC weapon through the entire level...f*ck me, trying to take down sniping Prometheans with a suppressor is tough going.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

I haven't sat down to play this game properly in a long time. How is matchmaking now? Has it ever been improved at all, or does it still take a painfully lengthy amount of time to get into a lobby/match?

What's the general consensus on Spartan Ops?

Remember hearing some praise for them when Halo 4 was released but I am up to episode 4 and finding it very repetitive. Also has some terrible respawn spots.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,126 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

What's the general consensus on Spartan Ops?

Remember hearing some praise for them when Halo 4 was released but I am up to episode 4 and finding it very repetitive. Also has some terrible respawn spots.

Its pretty boring, bit better if you co-op it though. It's supposed to be like a firefight kind of mode but is a bit dull and repetitive.

• Advertisement

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Its pretty boring, bit better if you co-op it though. It's supposed to be like a firefight kind of mode but is a bit dull and repetitive.

Cheers Mickeroo.

It doesn't tie into Halo 5 in any way does it?

Am dying to give the campaign a go but don't want to skip ahead of anything that might be relevant from Spartan Ops.

Advertisement