Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

This Week's Storms - FORECAST, MODEL DISCUSSION ONLY

• 08-12-2011 12:11am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭

As Thursday's storm has yet to fully develop, it will pass us to the north, still bringing some especially stormy conditions to Northern Ireland tomorrow and tomorrow night.

There are good indications of another deeper storm developing under a 180 knot jet streak over the Atlantic late Sunday and taking a more direct path towards Ireland some time on Monday/into Tuesday. There is some uncertainty in the exact timing of its arrival, but with a core pressure of possibly as low as 945 hPa, it should bring stormy conditions with violent gusts to many parts of the country.

As with most rapidly deepening cyclones, the actual path may turn out to be to the left (north) of the current projections, but it is one to keep an eye on.

184310.gif

184309.gif

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Slightly off-topic, but yet another rolls in next Thursday

65d16q.png

It's track over Ireland still low res but another to keep an eye on.

Funnily enough the word to prove i was human on tinypic while uploading this was disaster :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,244 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

baraca wrote: »
    Slightly off-topic, but yet another rolls in next Thursday

65d16q.png

It's track over Ireland still low res but another to keep an eye on.

Funnily enough the word to prove i was human on tinypic while uploading this was disaster :pac:

I actually hope this one doesn't happen! I have my Christmas night out with work that night!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Bicycle

The way the patterns are running this season, one wonders if there is due cause to rename Thursday to Windsday. :)

Any chance this baby will die down? I've anemophobia (wind phobia) and these things don't make me happy!! Thursday storms are OK as I only work on Thursday evenings when most of these have calmed. However Monday and Tuesday are different :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

any one have any update on this storm based on the latest charts? it looks like today's event went further north than expected though the models had this system for next week further south.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

ECM and UKMO showing potential for this still.

GFS is a bit different but then throws in a rare serious storm for the south next Thursday. (I'm sure this will be gone on the next run!)

esncxs.jpg

• Advertisement

ECM and UKMO showing potential for this still.

GFS is a bit different but then throws in a rare serious storm for the south next Thursday. (I'm sure this will be gone on the next run!)

esncxs.jpg

:eek::eek:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

GFS typically shows epic centre lows of 940 - 950 at 5-9 days and it normally turns out to be a stiff breeze with gusts breaking 60KT in Belmullet perhaps. Please stop pointing to these serially unreliable forecasts. :(

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    GFS typically shows epic centre lows of 940 - 950 at 5-9 days and it normally turns out to be a stiff breeze with gusts breaking 60KT in Belmullet perhaps. Please stop pointing to these serially unreliable forecasts. :(

Well in fairness he did indicate that it would probably be gone in the next run:)

Still, gives the thread a bit of a shock factor!

Um, you need to take a look at the rest of the models for next week then, almost all showing potential for a deep low close to us.

ECM
    i2rnfc.gif

UKMO
    kboftk.gif

JMA
    lwe3b.gif

NOGAPS
    domph1.png

The only difference with the GFS is that it keeps that low further away from Ireland and swings another over us a couple of days later, which as I said will probably be gone in the next run anyway!

Aw sure there is 'potential' but it will most likely be nothing.

OH LOOOOOOOOOK !!!!! :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::cool::eek:

POLAR LOW ON CHRISTMAS EVE
    :eek::eek::eek::eek: FFS :cool:

Because it is all about that potential.

Rtavn3841.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭garyha

Cool story bro.

0291_zmzg.gif

:P

• Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭fits

wouldnt it be funny if this materialised :D

fits wrote: »
    wouldnt it be funny if this materialised :D

It'd be fecking brilliant that's what it would be!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Strangegravy

OH LOOOOOOOOOK !!!!! :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::cool:

Awwwww.... I think Sponge Bob needs some snow, or a hug... so here's the best of both!! :D

snowmanhug.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Game of darts anyone?

ECMWF 240hr:

184370.gif
    Bring that right on! :cool:

930Hpa sez that bloody GFS, For Fu**s sake :( Was there a hurricane that low all season in 2011.???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

EDIT: wrong thread

Getting confused!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,871 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Heres a great link from the Shetland Islands, all live cameras, you can watch the ships in the harbour, see planes taking off from the airport etc. click on the live webcams at the bottom

Link: http://visit.shetland.org/shetland-webcams

I'd probably wizz in my pants if this came off, Pity it's a week out.

2dlu68z.png

Maq how come the wind speed map you posted is showing stronger wind speeds yet it's from the same run?

• Advertisement

2dlu68z.png

Maq how come the wind speed map you posted is showing stronger wind speeds yet it's from the same run?

Oh my dear god!:eek: I think that would be the end of us down south!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

leahyl wrote: »

AND it's attacking from our weak side, shield ineffective from that angle and those speeds.

gbee wrote: »
    AND it's attacking from our weak side, shield ineffective from that angle and those speeds.

And it's for next Thursday - not far off! But I know those winds will probably weaken considerably - still though it's exciting stuff! But wait no I don't want this for next Thursday cos it's my work Christmas party:eek:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

gbee wrote: »

Perfect scenario for Waterford too. We never do well out of a set up like today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭je55ie

leahyl wrote: »

Maybe we've been wanting exciting weather too much down here !!! :eek:

2dlu68z.png

The one you posted shows mean winds, the one I posted shows gusts.

The one you posted shows mean winds, the one I posted shows gusts.

Thanks.

12z has the storm for the south a lot further east centred over northern france and later on friday also a lot weaker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

I'd probably wizz in my pants if this came off

I think going by this post the boards.ie weather forum would be better off if this didn't come off. :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,504 ✭✭✭Speak Now

GFZ 12z still showing this low (940mb) for early next week.
    Just north enough to keep us on the map!

airpressure.png

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement