Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Newry In 1850s

Options
  • 30-07-2020 9:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭

Just posting this in After Hours as I can't find an appropriate regional forum for the place mentioned above.

I am in UK but I had always heard a rumor about having relatives from Ireland. Seems like I found my answer tonight. They came from somewhere called Newry in County Armagh around 1850s. Wanting to find out Newry's history. It's taken months of researching.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,014 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Mod:

I'm going to move your thread to Genealogy, OP. Reminder to read the forum charter.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Lewis' topographical review of Ireland would be a good place to start. It was published in 1837.

http://www.askaboutireland.ie/reading-room/digital-book-collection/digital-books-by-subject/geography-of-ireland/lewis-a-topographical-dic/

The censuses from the 19th century don't survive unfortunately.

Have a read of our main sticky on tracing your ancestors as well.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭Waitsian

Newry is divided in two by a river which acts as the county border between Down and Armagh. I'm from a village just outside the town, the South Armagh side. I can recommend local history books, county genealogy books and appropriate records as well as give you advice on surnames, baronies, parish records, townlands etc. You can PM me if you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

I am in UK but I had always heard a rumor about having relatives from Ireland......

You're in the UK, but did you know that Newry Newrie (Scots Gaelic) is also in the UK....

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:United_Kingdom_Northern_Ireland_adm_location_map.svg

Recently discovered that my maternal Grandmother was from Enniskillen NI, another beautiful town.

Thinking of getting one of those postal ancestry DNA test kits to see where my ancestral roots come from ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,056 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Nitpick: Newrie isn't a Scots Gaelic word. If it's a word used in Scotland at all as a variation of Newry it would be Scots, not Gaelic. Scots is a Saxon language, not a Celtic one - so, related to English, not Irish or Scots Gaelic.

Newry is from (Irish) Gaelic, iúrach, a yew grove.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

I picked it up from Wiki.
    Newry, 34 miles from Belfast ...

Scots: Newrie.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newry

• Registered Users Posts: 26,056 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Pretty sure that's a reference to Ulster Scots, not to Scots Gaelic. Very different languages.

Both the English and Ulster Scots name of the town are derived from the (Irish) Gaelic name.

Advertisement