Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off topic: chat

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,352 ✭✭✭✭Deja Boo

Is ancestry no longer automactically inputting the sex of those you add from onlne records?

Now I must go back into each persons profile and click on male or female, after adding them from the record.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,291 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

It all depends on what information was inputted when the record was digitised.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,086 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Is it my imagination, or used ancestry give you relationship info in relation to the tree's 'home' person, for example, 'wife of second cousin once removed' when you clicked on a person in the tree?

Not certain but I think that only works for your own tree where you - the compiler of the tree - are the home person.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,086 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Hermy wrote: »
    Not certain but I think that only works for your own tree where you - the compiler of the tree - are the home person.

Yes it seems to be gone on mine.
    Bah. Maybe I clicked something in error.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭dia squish

Been trying to access irishgenealogy.ie for the past two nights but the site seems to be down - anyone else getting the same?

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭hblock21

dia squish wrote: »
    Been trying to access irishgenealogy.ie for the past two nights but the site seems to be down - anyone else getting the same?

It been like that practically every night for the past week minimum. Just went to look up a record now and cant get in.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Garlinge

Working ok for me last few days....

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,609 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

It's been very hit and miss recently. Quite slow right now.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Yes, I've noticed the same problems the past few days and nights.
    Surprised it hasn't been mentioned at Irish Genealogy News.
    In an ideal world they'd be getting in touch with Claire to let her know the issue.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement

Claire has a post up now.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Garlinge

Interesting... I was using the census site happily earlier tonight but now is crashed.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Found someone on Ancestry via the hints system (which I rarely/barely use) who has another generation back on my mothers paternal line; and a sibling connection across to someone I'd been keeping isolated on the tree due to buying the wrong certs and having a hunch they were related (son has an obscure name that family use)

I really, really hope they actually have some evidence for that as it'll open that dead end up and also get me to ~1770 or so. But they've some obviously confused/hacked together stuff on other people on the tree, so I'm not holding out hope!

It also recommended someone to me who appears to have their entire tree upside down, parents as children and v/v.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

I recently had contact with someone on Ancestry and because of his line, I know he is a 4th/5th cousin, however, he has built his tree as he said himself "from other trees on Ancestry"!!!! :eek: I'm afraid. I'm very afraid.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I got the Ancestry hints down to under 1000 last night (from over 1500) and its back to 1100 this morning. An increasing amount of them are for families of wives of relations that honestly I don't know enough about to even consider accepting so I should probably bulk mark them as uncertain!

I can't even bear going through all the hints.
    I just look at specific people I'm interested in periodically and check their hints.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Suggested hint on a g-g-g-aunt which has never come up for her parents (g-g-g-grandparents) or siblings (not including g-g-grandmother, for reasons) yet included all of them there has tied up a hell of a lot of hypothesis as correct. Or sufficiently proven anyway

Family emigrated to New Jersey but *came back* - eldest and youngest kids born in Kildare; middle born in NJ. Had worried it was two different families that I was conflating. I'm descended from the eldest daughter.

Found an 1891 ships manifest for Liverpool-NYC with all the family except her on it, names are not that common and ages are all sufficiently right with nobody else missing or extra added. She had married in Ireland by that stage and I was pregnant with my g-grandfather even.

I'd like to find something showing the lot of them coming back to Ireland in the first place but this is probably the most useful thing I've found in a long time for my own ancestry.

Speaking of hints... When I click on my tree, ancestry insists there are hints for certain (of my brickwall) people - but when I click on that individual, there are no hints whatsoever, not even when I go into lifestory (to view the world history leaves ancestory inserts). Fantom leaf hints are frustrating.

Messaged a presumptive cousin today who has unsourced names another generation back for one arm for me but the level of stuff I know to be wrong he has in what is a very bare tree (direct up and down, no siblings until lower levels) terrifies me and I assume the names are probably nonsense.

It's started suggesting cross links to trees that any basic coding would not suggest also. One was suggesting I match to someone in the right family born a hundred years and three generations lower, that I already had, and another was fully Polish!

Ancestry still offers the LDS index for all Irish certs meaning the amount of completely wrong stuff you can verify by looking up the actual cert is huge - this has been the only way I've convinced someone they were wrong when they insisted they were a relation. Theyd taken the the first index entry for a very common name and mother's surname combo

Yeah, I've tried to correct (with evidence) a few people before and was met with silence or denial.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement

Deja Boo wrote: »
    Speaking of hints... When I click on my tree, ancestry insists there are hints for certain (of my brickwall) people - but when I click on that individual, there are no hints whatsoever, not even when I go into lifestory (to view the world history leaves ancestory inserts). Fantom leaf hints are frustrating.

I've come across this also.

I think it may occur where a hint was provided for a record set that has since been removed from the site.

Genealogy Forum Mod

First person I messaged that had interesting stuff in their tree (not the one with the total clangers) got back in touch; and gave his reasoning for making a child/parent link that I couldn't prove but had a good reason to believe. Basically the same hunch and some supporting circumstantial evidence.

He has already done AncestryDNA and has some matches back in the UK on his male line I'd like to see. I still have my concerns over testing - data mainly; and I'm not male line descended so I'd need to get one of my uncles or their sons to get anything useful as far as I can tell?

Is there anyone who has done a deep dive on Ancestry's data policies to look for the bad bits?

L1011 wrote: »
    First person I messaged that had interesting stuff in their tree (not the one with the total clangers) got back in touch; and gave his reasoning for making a child/parent link that I couldn't prove but had a good reason to believe. Basically the same hunch and some supporting circumstantial evidence.

He has already done AncestryDNA and has some matches back in the UK on his male line I'd like to see. I still have my concerns over testing - data mainly; and I'm not male line descended so I'd need to get one of my uncles or their sons to get anything useful as far as I can tell?

Is there anyone who has done a deep dive on Ancestry's data policies to look for the bad bits?

You do not have to be male to do ancestrydna. Its for anyone, male and female. Male only is Y-DNA such as ftdna.com.

What bad bits? If you have concerns dont do it but you will be losing out big time in the long run. DNA is incredible as far as I am concerned, the amount of new info I have amassed would never have been possible by only concentrating on paper records. Just do it.

hblock21 wrote: »
    You do not have to be male to do ancestrydna. Its for anyone, male and female. Male only is Y-DNA such as ftdna.com.

What bad bits? If you have concerns dont do it but you will be losing out big time in the long run. DNA is incredible as far as I am concerned, the amount of new info I have amassed would never have been possible by only concentrating on paper records. Just do it.

I know you don't have to be male to do a test (and I am anyway) but I'm not going to have a y-dna connection to my mothers male line by virtue of not having a Y chromosome from that side. I thought that was critical for a lot of the info on the male line?

Its the idea of giving huge amounts of data to a company based in a country with zero respect for data security basically.

Maybe I'm saying something you already know but with ancestrydna (autosomal test) you will match to all lines of your ancestors, male and female lines on every branch. y-dna has nothing to do with how ancestry looks at the data.

If you have not tested with Ancestry and he has, but you have autosomal test elsehwere, you can both upload to Gedmatch to compare.

If he's a Y descendant of your maternal grandfather, can you find a male cousin to test the Y on FTDNA?

Genealogy Forum Mod

I hit 2500 people on my tree tonight (and then went past it to 2514!)

Genealogy Forum Mod

I've an odd sort of question... How common was it, or why would a performer list his stage name on a census (also listing his family under the stage surname) when his travel documents listed his proper name ?

No idea. People weren't famous in the same way then as now.

Who are you talking about?

Beyond Count John McCormack, I'm struggling to think of performers from that era.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement

Thanks pinkypinky :)

A vaudevillian era cousin, it seems. Just discovered the England 1911 census (on ancestry) when searching for his estranged wife in Ireland.

Advertisement