Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Autumn 2019 - General Discussion

• 01-09-2019 10:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭Artane2002

It's a nice, sunny start to Autumn 2019 in Dublin 5.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Cloudy with some small sunny spells in west cork at current. Dry though! Hearing that it’s sunny in the city though!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Nice morning in Galway but back to dark grey skies again with spits of rain. Noticeable cooler today

Edit: Pouring now

• Registered Users Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

No research done for Autumn 2019 but I’ll put in a safe bet prediction (as always for fun) that it’ll be a relatively mild autumn like every other these days with a lean towards a wetter than average season particularly later on.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Dull, wet and feeling cooler today in Castlebar.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

It's a nice sunny day here for the first of autumn. And a bit breezy. It's 15.8C.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Sun came out for a while here on the west cork coast and it was roasting! Sea was also glistening. Some dark clouds moving in from the west now though.

It's partially sunny here and a little breezy. It's 17.1C after reaching a high of 18.0C an hour ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Kutebride

Surprised by the sunny spells most of the day in Meath.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,677 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Kutebride wrote: »
    Surprised by the sunny spells most of the day in Meath.

a fairly decent dry day here too at Dunshaughlin, but it's certainly feeling quite chilly.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭appledrop

Ah autumn is officially here! Lovely pleasant morning + early afternoon spent in the park.

This weekend was nicer than expected especially with all those rain warnings in place. Some thundery showers yesterday but that was it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,677 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

looks to be very little rain over the next week looking at this mornings ensembles, a much dryer week this week for many. Doesn't look like we'll be seeing any warm weather this September either, with temperatures mostly below average or average.

ens_image.php?geoid=64981&var=201&run=6&date=2019-09-01&model=gfs&member=ENS&bw=1

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭alentejo

The Dublin forcast issued Friday by met eireann was different to the actual weather experienced in the City over the weekend. Much better weather than forcast

• Registered Users Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

The Autumn season started promptly in the Limerick area. This morning was noticeably rather cold at 12°C, we're more used the 14 - 15°C starts lately. The jumper is back on since June.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Miserable dark, wet, misty morning in Letterkenny. Autumn kicking off much as summer finished

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Little snowy old me

I'm hearing that the remnants of Dorian may hit Ireland late next weekend / early following week ... As a powerful ex tropical low.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,095 ✭✭✭pad199207

Not a bad start. Cool though

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,762 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

I'm hearing that the remnants of Dorian may hit Ireland late next weekend / early following week ... As a powerful ex tropical low.

Nothing in the charts to give any indication of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭Tim76

What are peoples opinions on the best weather app/site out there?

I'm using Met Eireann and YR.NK but but seem to be getting it wrong a lot lately. Granted the weather in the west of the country can be fairly unpredictable at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭Billcarson

sryanbruen wrote: »
    No research done for Autumn 2019 but I’ll put in a safe bet prediction (as always for fun) that it’ll be a relatively mild autumn like every other these days with a lean towards a wetter than average season particularly later on.

Your probably right as it seems to the same thing most yrs nowadays. Last autumn though did feel more seasonal for the most part, I really liked last Sept and oct Had some frosts in both months and 2 airfrosts in Oct. Sadly last nov the autumn of nowadays returned to type which then led on to a very poor winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,078 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Tim76 wrote: »
    What are peoples opinions on the best weather app/site out there?

I'm using Met Eireann and YR.NK but but seem to be getting it wrong a lot lately. Granted the weather in the west of the country can be fairly unpredictable at times.

Any app that gives you a set time on rainfall is inaccurate, very hard to forecast showers.

Text-based forecasts are the only go-to for accurate forecasting IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Billcarson wrote: »
    Your probably right as it seems to the same thing most yrs nowadays. Last autumn though did feel more seasonal for the most part, I really liked last Sept and oct Had some frosts in both months and 2 airfrosts in Oct. Sadly last nov the autumn of nowadays returned to type which then led on to a very poor winter.
    Last September and October were very much ideal to me. September started off relatively warm but not ridiculous like 2016 then became much cooler with an unsettled spell mid-month to keep us on our toes followed by a very settled end with cold nights. October started off relatively warm with 20c on the 10th standing out but then became very cold towards the end with a severe frost on the 30th. Best October I have seen honestly. As you say, felt seasonable which was a nice change on previous autumns (although Nov 2016 was very good and Nov 2017 was nice too).

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Any app that gives you a set time on rainfall is inaccurate, very hard to forecast showers.

Text-based forecasts are the only go-to for accurate forecasting IMO.

Thanks for the feedback.

Where can i find Text-based forecasts?

Thanks for the feedback.

Where can i find Text-based forecasts?

Met Eireann

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Met Eireann

If we are relying on the vague descriptions that they give for both national & regional forecasts then we are in trouble!

If we are relying on the vague descriptions that they give for both national & regional forecasts then we are in trouble!

How could it be improved in your opinion, what information is missing?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,024 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

How is 3 paragraphs vague? How would you change it?

Early this afternoon, rain will spread eastwards over the northern half of Ireland. It will be drier further south with some bright spells and a few showers. This evening will become drier and brighter in most areas, but rain and drizzle will continue in the north. Highest temperatures of 14 to 18 degrees with freshening southwest breezes.

Tonight

Tonight will be dry over much of the country. However, rain and drizzle will continue in the north and later in the night, rain and drizzle will develop in west Munster, Connacht and west Ulster. Lowest temperatures of 11 to 14 degrees with moderate southwest winds.

Tomorrow

Tuesday morning will be mainly dry in the east and south. It will be duller to the west and north with rain and drizzle, which will spread across the country in the afternoon and early evening. It will brighten up in the west in the evening. Mild with highest temperatures of 16 to 20 degrees and moderate to fresh westerly winds.

I always wonder is north Dublin classified as being in the northern half of Ireland but it must be for this forecast as we've had 2.0mm of rain in the last hour and it's still raining. It's 14.6C now. There was a high of 16.4C before the rain.

horrible day here at Dunshaughlin, Moderate rainfall since 11am.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Gonzo wrote: »
    horrible day here at Dunshaughlin, Moderate rainfall since 11am.

Same here, cleared now, cloudy and very breezy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

A very gusty day Castlebar coupled with some heavy showers, feeling quite cool again today.

Advertisement