Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Pocophone F1 - The new flagship killer?

• 22-08-2018 12:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭

So Xiaomi just launched the "Pocohpone F1".
    A phone with a 6.18" IPS HD+ Display, Snapdragon 845, 6/8GB Ram, 64/128/256 gb storage, decent dual camera setup, and a 4000mAh battery, which will retail at approx €260.

Insane value for money and blows anything in it's price range out of the water.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭StereoSound

The thing I look for in a flagship killer phone is fast updates. Nice hardware but old software is something that bothers me.
    Xiaomi are slow enough with their Android one phone updates, just as an indication.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Give me those specs for something around €300 and I'll wait on updates.
    The specs are similar to phones with price tags over 300% higer.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭maximoose

Looks lovely, and cracking spec for the price.

6.18" sounds a little too Phablety for me though, would like to see one in real life.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

Cant see Spanish speakers thinking it poco.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,441 ✭✭✭✭banie01

The NFC and 4000mah battery are huge pluses for me and an 845 chipset at this price point is fantastic.
    I will wait for some more reviews 1st but it has jumped to the top of my maybe queue.

• Advertisement

banie01 wrote: »
    The NFC and 4000mah battery are huge pluses for me and an 845 chipset at this price point is fantastic.
    I will wait for some more reviews 1st but it has jumped to the top of my maybe queue.
    Pretty sure there's no NFC.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,441 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Pretty sure there's no NFC.

It's been flagged as no on some sites and as yes on others.
    I'm hoping it's in, hence waiting for more reviews.

banie01 wrote: »
    It's been flagged as no on some sites and as yes on others.
    I'm hoping it's in, hence waiting for more reviews.

Hands-on reviews have said it doesn't so I wouldn't get your hopes up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

I was already making eyes at a Mi6 I didn't really need, but I doubt I'll be able to keep away from this at the prices quoted (rubs thighs, pants softly).

So long, perfectly functional OnePlus 5, you're off to CEX!

• Advertisement

corwill wrote: »
    I was already making eyes at a Mi6 I didn't really need, but I doubt I'll be able to keep away from this at the prices quoted (rubs thighs, pants softly).

So long, perfectly functional OnePlus 5, you're off to CEX!

You're daft as a brush if you sell to CEX. You'll get bear double the price of you throw it up on adverts. You'd under cut them substantially and still make far more than by selling to them.

You're daft as a brush if you sell to CEX. You'll get bear double the price of you throw it up on adverts. You'd under cut them substantially and still make far more than by selling to them.

I know, pure laziness on my part.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,652 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Give me those specs for something around €300 and I'll wait on updates.
    The specs are similar to phones with price tags over 300% higer.

Will we be able to buy in Ireland for €300?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

I'd take far less money not to have to deal with bloody donedeal/adverts pukes.

Who do a lot of these Chinese manufacturers not do NFC?

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭ianob7

Patww79 wrote:

Maybe cause Google is banned they don't see the need ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

ianob7 wrote: »
    Maybe cause Google is banned they don't see the need ??

True, but it can be used for more than mobile payments. Maybe it just takes up too much battery room.

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    Will we be able to buy in Ireland for €300?

Assuming prices will be similar to the rest of Europe it will be €400-€440 to buy without possibility of customs charge.

Assuming prices will be similar to the rest of Europe it will be €400-€440 to buy without possibility of customs charge.

Those prices are based don a leak from late July that ended up being way over priced compared to the actual price for the Indian market. They predicted INR 33k for India when the actual price is 21k.

Patww79 wrote: »
    I'd take far less money not to have to deal with bloody donedeal/adverts pukes.

The main use for most people for the NFC is mobile payments via Google pay etc.
    Aside from Google being (sort of) banned in China the main reason Google pay and his equivalents haven't taken off in China is because everyone uses WePay.
    Similarly in Kenya NFC Payment is largely ignored because everyone has been using MPESA for near a decade. These platforms precede and basically outperform Google pay etc and are more widely applicable.

For that reason it's just seen as an unnecessary additional cost to have to put an NFC interface in the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

This review claims a price of €300/£270

https://youtu.be/BaEIGEFcTTQ

I had been looking at getting a Nokia 6.1 plus for my 12y.o. daughter but this looks like a better alternative. Only concern is that it might be too big for her.

The carbon fibre "armoured" edition looks great, wonder what the price will be like for that?

[Edit] The EU launch will take place in Paris next Monday.

One Dutch retailer has the F1 up for pre-order at €399 with delivery to start in two weeks time but no indication that that is the official price.

https://gsmarena.com/xiaomimade_pocophone_f1_is_up_for_preorder_in_the_netherlands-news-32891.php

invest4deepvalue.com

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭davo2001

Big difference between the earlier quoted price of €260, now looking at €400 :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭breeno

Cheap gorilla glass 3 used on these and more worryingly no smudge protection which is criminal in this day and age. My mother in law has an old Vodafone brand phone that doesn't have the smudge protection* and its like theres a coat of grease on the screen when I use it**

* smudge protection is definitely not the correct term but there is some form of coating that most phones use and this doesnt have it. I think it's the Engadget or The Verge review that flags it as an issue.
    **I do admittedly have clammy hands!

breeno wrote: »
    Cheap gorilla glass 3 used on these and more worryingly no smudge protection which is criminal in this day and age. My mother in law has an old Vodafone brand phone that doesn't have the smudge protection* and its like theres a coat of grease on the screen when I use it**

* smudge protection is definitely not the correct term but there is some form of coating that most phones use and this doesnt have it. I think it's the Engadget or The Verge review that flags it as an issue.

Nothing wrong with GG3 (it's more scratch resistant than GG5). I'm sweaty enough that no amount of oleophobic coating seems to make much difference!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

breeno wrote: »

I always get tempered glass screen protectors, so not an issue for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

My guess is that the official EU price will be around €300+vat so in and around €370.

invest4deepvalue.com

• Subscribers Posts: 40,953 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

glad i didnt pull the trigger on the A2..... this definitley has me tempted.... but ill wait to see the retail prices

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭dowling06

Picked up the Mi 8 delivered for 380 and now its down to 327 already. Its a brilliant phone and has the edge over the Pocophone in everything bar CPU cooling, expandable storage and battery.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭MoodeRator

Gearbest currently showing 358eur for the 64gb and 390eur for the 128gb

MoodeRator wrote: »
    Gearbest currently showing 358eur for the 64gb and 390eur for the 128gb

Those aren't the prices they'll sell for. The only market with an official MSRP is India. The European launch and price announcement is next week and the rest of Asia is after that.
    The prices being used on geartbeat Euro retailers is based on two things. The prices leaked in late July and the cost of importing from India.

The Indian price prediction ended up being over by over 30% where the leaks said prices would be from INR 33,000 when the phone launched from INR 20,999 with even the most expensive model being less than the quoted 33k price.

For now all we know is that there's a European launch next week and the prices will be fairly similar to the conversion of the Indian price.

Consumer electronics are generally MORE expensive in India than Europe due to the way VAT and customs duties are applied to "luxury" items to try boast sales goods manufactured in India over imported goods.

I'd be very surprised if Xiaomi charge a significantly higher price for the phone in Europe than they do in India.

• Advertisement

dowling06 wrote: »
    Picked up the Mi 8 delivered for 380 and now its down to 327 already. Its a brilliant phone and has the edge over the Pocophone in everything bar CPU cooling, expandable storage and battery.

Where did you see the Mi8 for 327?

Advertisement