Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gallbladder Pain -please help

• 04-05-2012 11:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,797 ✭✭✭

I hope someone can help me with this. Back in February I took ill with what I thought was food poisoning. My doctor diagnosed an inflamed gallbladder a few days later and referred me to a consultant. I was subsequently admitted to hospital as an emergency case and was diagnosed with severe inflammation in the duodenum and sludge in my gallbladder. I was treated for the duodenitis but told that my gallbladder would not be removed as there were no visible stones and he would not remove it unless stones were present. I was happy enough with this diagnosis but now (eight weeks later) I find that I am still in pain, have constant nausea despite taking 40g Nexium daily. Last week I had fish and chips and was up most of the night because of the severe pain out my back. I went back to my GP and he advised that I contact the Consultant and request that he remove the gallbladder. I rang for an appointment but was told by his secretary that he had done all the relevant tests and she was quite doubtful that he would not be able to do anything for me. I am not the type of person to complain but this is driving me mad. I'm not sleeping well because of the nausea and pain. I work full-time and have a family, I'm not depressed - just sick of being sick. Has anyone else ever found themselves in this situation and if so, what was the end result. I'm quite nervous about seeing the consultant again and don't want to be thought of as a complainer.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Right we cannot give medical advice here (against the charter) so you're going to have to return to your GP/consultant and explain it to them. Type\print this out if necessary.

Get well!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,797 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

Chin_grin

I'm not actually looking for medical advice - i just want to know if anyone else has been in this situation i.e. sludge in the gallbladder, and if so did they manage to have it removed.

CL:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

Ask for a second opinion.

If you are suffering severe pain, this is a signal that something is wrong.

If necessary, go into A&E when the pain gets severe. It is always possible that a potential problem with a gallbladder is masking something more serious. Serious pain should be investigated and treated.

I've never heard of "sludge in the gallbladder" as a diagnoses.

Advertisement