Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meath GAA discussion thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭thewildcat

your lucky you picked to stay home they were beat home division 3 next year

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Sick of these performances. Not one player even tried out there today. They were beaten as soon as the ball was thrown in. I was disappointed with the first half display but put it down to playing against what was a very strong breeze. But two points in the second showed that the players couldn't have been less bothered.
    The horrible thing is that a 10 point loss was actually flattering for us. Tyrone kicked a huge amount of wides and basically just passed the ball around for the last 15 minutes. It was a training match for Tyrone in the end. Haven't been this embarrassed about a Meath performance since the Limerick game in 2008.

Though I have to say I love going to games up north. Northern fans are almost always the most friendly and welcoming. They even played 'Beautiful County of Meath' before the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 ILOVEBLATHNAID

Haha Meath are ****e !!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Frank Spencer

After hearing what type of training the Meath players are doing it's coming as no surprise that they are struggling. Pretty unorthodox stuff and it seems to be causing dissension in the camp. The players are losing belief.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭klong

After hearing what type of training the Meath players are doing it's coming as no surprise that they are struggling. Pretty unorthodox stuff and it seems to be causing dissension in the camp. The players are losing belief.

What sort of training?

• Advertisement

Ourselves, Louth, Westmeath and Monaghan all on 4 points going into the last game. Derry on 5 points. Westmeath play Derry and Monaghan play Tyrone in Omagh.
    Our points difference means we're top of the quartet on 4 points. Only a win will guarantee safety.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭rpurfield

i think the stuff just isnt there, i went against my better judgement last night and got dragged into defending banty on some of them facebook pages last night.now i didnt see the game but its my honest belief that we could have a combination of seanie micko jack oconnor and micky harte over that team and we wouldnt win **** all.

the real blame lies with the county board and their inaction on the underage front over the years.those running the show from the mid 80's till now(pretty much the same people) thought wed always be knocking about at the top.theyd wanna get themselves down to kilkenny or up to tyrone to see what theyve done with their underage structures to ge them to the top of the game.its just bloody sickening lads and to blame banty, or whoever is in charge maybe in a year or two, is taking the eye off the real culprits of our decline

klong wrote: »
    What sort of training?

A player described it as akin to rugby training. These lads have been training since September. Heavy going it is. They didn't see a ball until January.

A player described it as akin to rugby training. These lads have been training since September. Heavy going it is. They didn't see a ball until January.
    Going by some of their attempts at tackling yesterday (and in every game), I wouldn't be surprised.
    I cannot understand some of the play against Tyrone. Queeney was started at full forward which I thought would mean there would be high balls played to him with Gilsenan and Ward to pick up any breaks. But Queeney kept coming deeper and deeper and any balls that were played into the full forward line were played into the corners. Then we were surrounded by 3 or 4 Tyrone players and lost the ball. Same thing occurred with Brian Farrell in the second half.

And rpurfield, you're spot on about the county board but unfortunately I don't see the clubs voting any of them out any time soon.

In other news, the hurlers are one game away from a league final against Kildare.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭roy rodgers

In other news, the hurlers are one game away from a league final against Kildare.

kildare won today 7-30 to 0-07.. clutching straws!!

kildare won today 7-30 to 0-07.. clutching straws!!
    How am I clutching straws? If we beat Armagh we're in the league final.

And rpurfield, you're spot on about the county board but unfortunately I don't see the clubs voting any of them out any time soon.

yes your spot on there now, well just see a reshuffle of the same faces into new positions as the five year rule comes into force.lets be honest though, im 28 a few years back i was on the pats committee and refereeing games as well as getting to most club and meath games now ive two kids and with the job changing cant get any time off at all as im on shift so im lucky to to get meath games in let alone get down to the club.ya need new blood to come in through club level but a lot of people in my age bracket are like myself too busy with work and paying the bills etc to get involved

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

Meath only lost by 2 points to Kildare in the first round of the hurling league, so should they beat or draw with Armagh they will definitely be capable of matching Kildare in the final.

Meath only lost by 2 points to Kildare in the first round of the hurling league, so should they beat or draw with Armagh they will definitely be capable of matching Kildare in the final.
    That's true, though Kildare will definitely be hot favourites if we do get to the final.
    Was hoping to make it to the Armagh game this weekend but it's been moved to Middletown. It'll be tough assuming Armagh play their first team this time but hopefully the boys can do it. No doubt they'll put more effort into it than the footballers have the past two weekends.

Rumours are doing the rounds that GG has quit the management team (although he denies it). Why can't we go through a season without any controversy?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

Fair play Hammer Archer, Meath hurling fans are rare enough, but a fan willing to go to away games is another level of rare altogether. The county board don't help of course when they put club games on at the same time as county ones.

I feel they will beat Armagh sunday, and this will set up an interesting game against Kildare. Unlike the footballers, the hurlers don't disappoint as often against teams they should beat, and rarely collapse pathetically against teams a level above them.

The addition of some minors from last year seems to be working well, Healy, Toher and Fitzsimons have made quite a successful step up to the senior team.

You're dead right. I wish the county board would pay more than just lip service to the hurlers. I think we would be able to dramatically improve and be on a par with the likes of Antrim and Laois if more effort was put in. We're obviously able to produce fantastic hurlers (I'm of the opinion that Nicky Horan would have walked onto any team in the country in his prime) and just 10 years ago we were in Division 1 of the league and beat Dublin if I remember correctly.

To go back to the footballers, Paddy Gilsenan could be out for a while with a hamstring injury. Also there's rumours that Cormac McGuinness is out.

And the hurlers easily beat Armagh 1-19 to 8 points to make it to the Division 2B final on April 15th.
    Well done lads!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭klong

Not in the final according to RTÉ...aaaaaaand they've corrected their mistake, phew! :-)

right lads cards on the table with the championships i havent seen any club football so far this year whos gonna win the various championships.ive already been told ratoath will win the junior but i hear that most years!!i think theres no real stand out club team in meath for a good while now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭Mully_2011

Losing to Louth would do us the world of good. but things aren't looking to good in the Meath camp , bringing back Geraghty and Boylan was madness yes too great icons of Meath football but imo there both jobs who have had there day.

I'm a believer in Karma and I reckon that goal in 2010 has us cursed.

rpurfield wrote: »
    right lads cards on the table with the championships i havent seen any club football so far this year whos gonna win the various championships.ive already been told ratoath will win the junior but i hear that most years!!i think theres no real stand out club team in meath for a good while now
    Every team has their loud mouths but that doesn't mean it's the view of the whole club. As a Ratoath man, I can see us having trouble getting out of our group. We're grand against the weaker teams but we seem to freeze when pressure is put on us.
    I was at the Ballivor game last year and we were absolutely cruising with around 15 minutes left (I think we were 4 or 5 points up). Then Ballivor got a lucky goal and we just fell apart.
    Dunsany in the quarters was even worse. Think we had 6 clear goal chances and only took one and notched up something like 17 wides that day.
    We're definitely in the toughest group this season with Bective (who we were constantly reminded last season were unbeaten in Junior), O Mahoneys and Drumbaragh. If we get out of the group, then I'll start hoping.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭Flancrest

Mully_2011 wrote: »
    Losing to Louth would do us the world of good. but things aren't looking to good in the Meath camp , bringing back Geraghty and Boylan was madness yes too great icons of Meath football but imo there both jobs who have had there day.

I'm a believer in Karma and I reckon that goal in 2010 has us cursed.
    How exactly would it do us the world of good to play div 3 football next year. We need a morale boost heading into the championship.

The goal was cursed. Would you go away on out of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,742 ✭✭✭blackbelt

Flancrest wrote: »
    How exactly would it do us the world of good to play div 3 football next year. We need a morale boost heading into the championship.

Agreed. While Meath are in Division 2, they are playing a higher level football against some top teams and you need this as preparation going into the championship.This is why it is rare that you have division 3 and 4 teams winning a provincial title and it can only be harmful in the medium term.

I just don't think the players are there to do anything significant.The Meath team seem to play on form on a year on year off basis but with Joe Sheridan emigrating and David Bray out injured along with Gilsenan, the lack of a midfield and effective application of a gameplan plus Banty tactics and the issue of Geraghty being a player-selector being a conflict of interest, this is only going to be harmful.

I can see Meath escaping relegation again this year.Meath would take a 1 point win if it was offered to them beforehand. I think Louth are going to believe they can bring it to Navan and get revenge for 2010 and 2011.It will be interesting as I would expect Keenan to cause problems in the middle but I think Meath half back line may offset that threat.

ApyOnLLCQAI9HZn.jpg

Flancrest wrote: »

Well clearly where not good enough to be playing division 2 football at the minute losing 4 of the matches and only winning aginist Westmeath and Monaghan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Yay a Meath GAA thread!!! Hopefully we perform in the championship, it just isn't happening in the league! Will it be good or bad to reach the 1/4 or semi finals?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭markie29

embarrassing first half performance so far.....completely dominated in midfield so he Banty takes off a forward...albeit he was not playing well......shocking im tired of the crap we have played under Bantys reign we are a shambles of a team.

3 points to Louths 1-12 according to RTE I'd say Banty will be leaving Navan fairly rapido tonight :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭markie29

2 players sent off....lack of player discipline...lack of managerial skill.....this is going to be an awful championship by the looks of things in the league.

Advertisement