Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What book are you reading atm??

• 16-08-2011 8:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

and would ya recommend it?

I'm reading 'Full Dark, No Stars' by Stephen King!

Just started so can't really say I can recommend it just yet!

You can't beat a bit of Stephen King!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,751 ✭✭✭Saila

if only there was a forum for that..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,568 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

py2006 wrote: »
    ...You can't beat a bit of Stephen King!
    "O' yes we can!"

• Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

The Hobbit.

Bilbo is such a pimp.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Tara and Ben

• Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭Shreddingblood

The Green Mile

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Boards.ie

I think I am getting to some drama part of this book.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Guill

'Making Money' by Terry Pratchet.

I usually read something serious then something fun then serious again.

Last book was 'Diary of a slave girl written in her own words' (Kindle free classic), not bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

A brief history of time, I would recommend it to anyone who is remotely interested in science.

Just finished 1984 would recommend that to anyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭Aldebaran

A Clash of Kings, about 100 pages to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Guill

mackg wrote: »
    Just finished 1984 would recommend that to anyone.

I read that whe i was 'in a dark place'. Have to say it didn't help! Great read but depressing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

The Rape of Nanking, thank Jebus I,m not Chinese or Japanese

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

mackg wrote: »
    A brief history of time, I would recommend it to anyone who is remotely interested in science.

Is it a difficult read?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,206 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

The Generation Game by David McWilliams

• Registered Users Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Deception Point by Dan Brown

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭the west wing

Dream Catcher: My Life with J.D. Salinger by Margaret Salinger. I've just started it while in the middle of packing my suitcase for my holidays. At this rate I'll have to bring another book with me on holiday. Oh well...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,542 ✭✭✭Captain Darling

Something by Dean Koontz. Cannae remember the name of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

Sive (play) by John B Keane.

The ****e they give us to read in school, it puts me off reading altogether

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭SheFiend

I've two books on the go at the moment.

"The Mechanical Mind" by Tim Crane. A book comparing the human mind to Artificial intelligence. I'd recommend it to anyone interested in philosophy of mind or artificial intelligence / computer memory / algorithms etc. Also a little bit of maths and computer jargon, but not so much to discourage someone who is not into that end of it. Written in a casual style, very easy to read.

Complete collection of essays and letters by Michel de Montaigne. 16 century. Some great philosophy, views on society and human behaviour, and historical stories written in personal, conversational language by the inventor of the "essay" style. This is easy reading that also inspires thought. I recommend his essays to anyone who is interested.

In fact, here's a link to them all, online and free! Hurray for the internet! Enjoy :)

http://www.gutenberg.org/files/3600/3600-h/3600-h.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

Is it a difficult read?

You may have to reread bits to get to grips with it but there is no equations except for E=mc2 and the man has a gift for conveying what he means in an easy to understand way. That's the beauty of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

You can't beat a bit of Stephen King!

Have you read The Stand? It's my favourite King book - a third infectious disease, a third survival of the Apocalypse, a third the epic battle between ultimate good and evil. Brilliant stuff.

Read a rake of Lee Child and Harlen Coben books on holidays - love the easy crime thriller stuff. Back to reading some Malcolm Gladwell/ Matt Ridley pop science to make me look smrt on the train into work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Physiotherapy in Orthopedics as it so happens! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭crotalus667

donvito99 wrote: »
    Sive (play) by John B Keane.

The ****e they give us to read in school, it puts me off reading altogether

I know, when i was in school the english teacher i had put me right off reading :mad: lucky that did not last long

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Bookworm85

The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot.

Only started it today, but its pretty good so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Buddinplant

Something by Dean Koontz. Cannae remember the name of it.

would it be one of Odd Thomas books? love Dean Koontz, just gave my entire collection of his works away today ... a little gutted but no room to keep them.

Just finished an interesting combo this week from the Library. Katie Fforde 'Prefect Proposal' for the girlies and Chris Ryan 'Strike Back' for the more action packed lovers out there. Recommend both highly.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Bookworm85 wrote: »
    The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot.

Only started it today, but its pretty good so far.

Thank you! I was meant to go look for this book a while back. Must make a note of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

Absolutely love Stephen King, have been reading his books for over 20 years now, and own all of them. Have you read the Dark Tower series, OP?
    At the moment am reading some easy on the brain chick lit, This Charming Man, Marian Keyes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭mikeyboy

"Confessions Of A Fake Sheik", Mazher Mahmood's book about his undercover work with the News Of The World. Some of his investigations were worthwhile and some were pretty sleazy, not that he sees it that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Arnold Layne

Aldebaran wrote: »
    A Clash of Kings, about 100 pages to go.

Likewise, I bought the first 4 books after watching Game Of Thrones. Can't wait to start A Storm Of Swords as the story is getting better & better

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

I'm on If I Did It - OJ Simpsons confession book, i'm not into it much though, so might just skip it. would like any recommendations for true crime if anyone has any?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

g'em wrote: »
    Have you read The Stand? It's my favourite King book - a third infectious disease, a third survival of the Apocalypse, a third the epic battle between ultimate good and evil. Brilliant stuff.

Yep, his older books are sheer brilliance! Some of the new stuff is a bit dull! But he has an incredible command of the English language!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement