Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What Games Have You Completed? (2019 Edition)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

[Xbox One]

Gears of War 5

Good game and looks amazing. The open world areas were alright I suppose. I didn't like them that much as it meant a bigger area to search for collectibles and upgrade components. Plus there were side missions as well when you searched areas that you wouldn't have seen if you just went straight to the main story mission area.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,793 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Link's Awakening.

Never played the original so was a new game to me. Really enjoyed it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,613 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

Game: Golden Axe
    Platform: SEGA Mega Drive

Quick playthrough with the fiance. I'll be honest, I don't think it has aged particularly well.

Game: Streets of Rage 2
    Platform: SEGA Mega Drive

This will always be my go-to retro brawler. I play it at least once every year. Had this game since the age of 4

2019 Games Beaten So Far
    GAME|PLATFORM
    SPYRO THE DRAGON|PLAYSTATION 4
    OUTRUN (SEGA AGES)|NINTENDO SWITCH
    DETROIT: BECOME HUMAN|PLAYSTATION 4
    RESIDENT EVIL 2|PLAYSTATION 4
    SUPER MARIO BROS.|NES
    FIFA 17|PLAYSTATION 4
    FIFA 18|PLAYSTATION 4
    CASTLEVANIA II: SIMON'S QUEST (REDACTED)|NES
    CASTLEVANIA III: DRACULA'S CURSE|NES
    FLASHBACK: 25TH ANNIVERSARY EDITION|PLAYSTATION 4
    FIFA 19|PLAYSTATION 4
    STREETS OF RAGE 2 (SEGA MD CLASSICS)|NINTENDO SWITCH
    MORTAL KOMBAT 11|PLAYSTATION 4
    THE MESSENGER|NINTENDO SWITCH
    ORI AND THE BLIND FOREST|XBOX ONE
    SHAKEDOWN: HAWAII|NINTENDO SWITCH
    CELESTE|NINTENDO SWITCH
    SPEC OPS: THE LINE|PC
    TETRIS EFFECT|PLAYSTATION 4
    GRAND THEFT AUTO: LIBERTY CITY STORIES|PLAYSTATION 2
    GRAND THEFT AUTO: VICE CITY STORIES|PLAYSTATION 2
    INSIDE|PLAYSTATION 4
    LIMBO|NINTENDO SWITCH
    A WAY OUT|PLAYSTATION 4
    METAL GEAR SOLID 2: SONS OF LIBERTY|PLAYSTATION 3
    GUNSTAR HEROES (SEGA MD CLASSICS)|NINTENDO SWITCH
    METAL GEAR SOLID 3: SNAKE EATER|PLAYSTATION 3
    METAL GEAR SOLID 4: GUNS OF THE PATRIOTS|PLAYSTATION 3
    METAL GEAR SOLID|PLAYSTATION
    METAL GEAR SOLID: THE TWIN SNAKES|NINTENDO GAMECUBE
    DOOM (93)|PLAYSTATION 4
    GOLDEN AXE|SEGA MEGA DRIVE
    STREETS OF RAGE 2|SEGA MEGA DRIVE

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭TinCanMan

Shadow of the Colossus remake PS4 - An all time classic.
    Uncharted 2: Among Thieves remastered PS4 - Loved this, an improvement over no.1 which was also good.
    God of War PS4 - The game of this console generation.
    Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception - A cinematic masterpiece.
    What Remains of Edith Finch - A beautiful and moving game.
    Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition PS4 - Absolutely amazing, a must buy and is often on sale.
    Infamous Second Son - feel like a super hero. Good game but can get repetitive.
    Horizon Zero Dawn - This game is breathtakingly beautiful. Matched by excellent gameplay.

Game: Gears of War 4
    Platform: PC

Started this game on my Xbox 2 years ago and didn't get past the 3rd chapter.

Got myself a new PC and decided to take advantage of the Play Anywhere yoke, as well as the Game Pass so I didn't have to buy the whole game again.

Wow, this game surprised me. At first I wasn't really enjoying the new characters or the fact that I couldn't play as any of my old favourites, but the story was actually decent, and there was a big WTF cliffhanger at the end.

Mad to jump into Gears 5 right now.

2019 Games Beaten So Far
    GAME|PLATFORM
    SUPER MARIO BROS.|NES
    FIFA 17|PLAYSTATION 4
    FIFA 18|PLAYSTATION 4
    FIFA 19|PLAYSTATION 4
    CELESTE|NINTENDO SWITCH
    INSIDE|PLAYSTATION 4
    LIMBO|NINTENDO SWITCH
    A WAY OUT|PLAYSTATION 4
    DOOM (93)|PLAYSTATION 4
    GEARS OF WAR 4|PC

• Advertisement

Untitled Goose Game.

Enjoyed it. Short game. Started and finished last night. Will likely forget about the post game stuff. Will see.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,801 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Ace Combat 7
    Dragon Quest 8
    MegaMan
    Megaman 2
    Super Mario Bros
    Megaman 3
    MegaMan 4
    Metal Gear
    Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake

Picross S

Picross for me is digital crack and this one is no different. A very simple puzzle game that is probably up there with BOTW as my most played game on Switch. Now that it's out of the way I might actually play some proper games on my switch :D.... Except there's 2 more games in the series and a RPG spin off as well.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Far cry new dawn - PS4
    Shadow of the tomb raider -ps 4
    Yakuza kiwami - PS4
    Ys VIII - Switch

Trails of cold steel - ps 4

• Registered Users Posts: 18,697 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Gears of War 5 completed.

A pretty phenomenal shooter in many aspects, great characters & voice acting.
    And it looks & plays amazing, barring a few dumb-AI moments.

• Administrators Posts: 53,356 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Gears 4

Meh, maybe give it a 6/10. Found the story very dull, and the enemies a bit weird. The bigger enemies were easier than many of the smaller enemies to kill.

Forced myself to finish it so I can play 5 without the story gaps.

• Advertisement

awec wrote: »
    Gears 4

Meh, maybe give it a 6/10. Found the story very dull, and the enemies a bit weird. The bigger enemies were easier than many of the smaller enemies to kill.

Forced myself to finish it so I can play 5 without the story gaps.

Same, finished it last night.
    Wasn't worth the 133Gb download.

Gears 1 Ultimate next.

The Room 3. Enjoyable series of games to play using only the mouse. Transitioning can be slow at times, but small enough areas to navigate.

Really must start Myst. For anyone here who's played Myst, which is the version to play - Myst or RealMyst?

Game: Forbidden Siren 2
    Platform: PlayStation 2

First got this game in 2006, could barely remember it. I hadn't played it since and I sold my PS2 at the time with all my games. Turns out the game is actually pretty expensive nowadays.

My fiance got it for my Xmas last year and I decided to hold off playing it until Halloween for my YouTube channel.

Finished it this morning.

It's...............fine. It hasn't aged really well in some aspects, particularly the controls. I also didn't find it that scary. Maybe it's because you have a machine gun and/or a pistol like, all the time.. It kinda removes the scare-factor. From an atmosphere standpoint, though, it's really creepy and uncomfortable. I love the setting of these games, they're just disgusting twisted in the best possible way.

If you're looking for a classic survival horror that could nearly rival Silent Hill without the fanfare, then Siren 2 is the way to go. I wouldn't bother with Siren 1, the controls are even worse in that one

2019 Games Beaten So Far
    GAME|PLATFORM
    SUPER MARIO BROS.|NES
    FIFA 17|PLAYSTATION 4
    FIFA 18|PLAYSTATION 4
    FIFA 19|PLAYSTATION 4
    CELESTE|NINTENDO SWITCH
    INSIDE|PLAYSTATION 4
    LIMBO|NINTENDO SWITCH
    A WAY OUT|PLAYSTATION 4
    DOOM (93)|PLAYSTATION 4
    GEARS OF WAR 4|PC
    FORBIDDEN SIREN 2|PLAYSTATION 2

• Registered Users Posts: 13,806 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Really must start Myst. For anyone here who's played Myst, which is the version to play - Myst or RealMyst?

Don't know the difference myself, but this seems to answer it (there appears to be 4 editions of Myst now):
    The main difference between the two games is that Myst and Myst: Masterpiece Edition are 2D games, while realMyst and realMyst Masterpiece Edition are 3D games. All version tell the same story, except that the realMyst games have the Rime age not found in the 2D games.

In the 2D versions of Myst, you can only go to certain locations and turn to fixed viewpoints. In the 3D version of Myst, you can explore anywhere.

The main difference between Myst and Myst: Masterpiece Edition is that the former uses an 8-bit color palette, while the latter uses a 24-bit color palette. This is a noticeable difference if you play the two games.

The main difference between realMyst and realMyst: Masterpiece Edition is that the latter uses redone textures of a much higher quality as well as running in a higher screen resolution.

On a side note: Myst's first sequel, Riven, is a 2D-only game. It's also considerably larger and more difficult than the original Myst.

Note: There are 4 more Myst games after Riven. They are:

- Myst III: Exile - A person who has a grudge against Atrus steals his latest linking book to what is Atrus's new home. You need to get it back.
    - Myst IV: Revelation - Atrus's daughter is missing, you need to find her. Also reintroduces Atrus's sons from the first game.
    - Myst V: End of Ages - The final game in the main storyline.
    - URU: Ages Beyond Myst - Not in the normal Myst storyline and uses a different game engine. It was developed as an online game, but also has offline components. The online component was discontinued for a while, but appears to be back now.

I picked up Myst:Masterpiece Edition and RealMyst, as well as Riven and Myst V at some point through GOG.

Anyway, moved on to and finished another puzzle game, Machinarium.
    Was grand but didn't enjoy it as much as I thought I would. You could get a hint per screen and a more complete guide by completing a minigame.
    Speaking of minigames, I felt there were too many and one or 2 got tedious.
    Some of the interactive objects were hard to see as well.

Anyway will move on to a non puzzle game and maybe restart Project Zero 2. Started before but something else came along and distracted me

Finished INSIDE.

Verdict:
    What. The. FÚCK?!

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭TinCanMan

Shadow of the Colossus remake PS4 - An all time classic.
    Uncharted 2: Among Thieves remastered PS4 - Loved this, an improvement over no.1 which was also good but has aged somewhat.
    God of War PS4 - The game of this console generation.
    Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception - A cinematic masterpiece.
    What Remains of Edith Finch - A beautiful and moving game.
    Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition PS4 - Absolutely amazing, a must buy and is often on sale.
    Infamous Second Son - feel like a super hero. Good game but can get repetitive.
    Horizon Zero Dawn - This game is breathtakingly beautiful. Matched by excellent gameplay.
    Detroit: Become Human - damn this game just draws you in and plays with your emotions. Highly recommended.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,246 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

I finished Gravity Rush 2 recently and I must say it was a major let down after the excellent original on the PS Vita. Packed full of boring side quests, it was largely a chore to get through although the main story was mostly enjoyable with some good boss fights. I think the gameplay is more suited to a shorter length game like the original.

I also finished The Town of Light in between finishing Gravity Rush 2. It's a short walking simulator based on an old mental Asylum in Italy and inspired by real stories. I enjoyed it a lot, excellent graphics and unsettling at times. There's very little 'gameplay' as such so many people won't enjoy it but I am fan of walking simulators and enjoyed this.

Game|Platform
    Assassins Creed Origins|PlayStation 4
    Assassins Creed Odyssey|PlayStation 4
    God of War| PlayStation 4
    Spyro The Dragon| PlayStation 4
    Spyro 2: Ripto's Revenge| PlayStation 4
    Spyro 3: Year of the Dragon| PlayStation 4
    Spider Man| PlayStation 4
    Call of Duty Modern Warfare Remastered| PlayStation 4
    Eventide 3: Legacy of Legends| PlayStation 4
    Grim Legends 3: The Dark City| PlayStation 4
    Spider Man DLC: The City That Never Sleeps| PlayStation 4
    Flower| PlayStation 3 (PS Now)
    Knack| PlayStation 4
    Bastion| PlayStation Vita
    The Lego Movie Videogame| PlayStation Vita
    Virginia| PlayStation 4
    What Remains of Edith Finch| PlayStation 4
    Noir Chronicles: City of Crime| PlayStation 4
    Lego Batman 3: Beyond Gotham| PlayStation 4
    Red Johnson's Chronicles: One Against All| PlayStation 3 (PS Now)
    Stranger Things: The Game| Android Mobile
    Legacy 2: The Prisoner| Android Mobile
    Lego City Undercover| PlayStation 4 (PS Now)
    Nightmares From The Deep 2: The Sirens Call| PlayStation 4 (PS Now)
    Sherlock Holmes: The Devils Daughter| PlayStation 4 (PS Now)
    My Brother Rabbit| PlayStation 4
    Nightmares From The Deep: The Cursed Pirate| PlayStation 4
    Lego Ninjago The Movie Video Game| PlayStation 4 (PS Now)
    Detroit: Become Human| PlayStation 4
    Queens Quest 2: Stories of Forgotten Past| PlayStation 4
    The Town of Light| PlayStation 4
    Gravity Rush 2| PlayStation 4 (PS Now)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,293 ✭✭✭ionapaul

Another one to add to my Switch list:

PS4

Horizon: Zero Dawn - great, great game, really loved the story, the world and most of the gameplay. My type of gaming experience
    Uncharted: Drake's Fortune Remastered - the first Uncharted I've played and I quite enjoyed it! A male Lara Croft is what I expected and just what I got
    Uncharted 2: Among Thieves Remastered - really enjoyed this one, great story and tasty gameplay. Big improvement over the original

Nintendo Switch

Celeste - fairly difficult platformer; was thrilled/surprised to finish it without needing to resort to the 'easy mode' help, was very enjoyable for what it was. And really suited the Switch's portability I think.
    GRIS - short puzzle-platformer, got through it in about three hours. Nice game, but not the best experience playing handheld.
    The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening - never played the original, enjoyed this but it was fairly short! Got it for a song as a result of GameSpot's generous trade in offers, and I think a fair price would be €15-€20.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Far cry new dawn - PS4
    Shadow of the tomb raider -ps 4
    Yakuza kiwami - PS4
    Ys VIII - Switch
    Trails of cold steel - ps 4

and adding RDR 2 - ps4

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭da gamer

Battlefield V - PS4
    Spyro - PS4
    Red faction - PS4
    Yakuza zero - PS4
    Dmc 5 - PS4
    Resident evil 2 - PS4
    Shadow warrior - PS4
    Red dead redemption 2 - PS4
    Fifa 19 - PS4
    Life is strange - PS4
    Split Second - Xbox 360
    Tomb raider legend - Xbox 360
    Soma - PS4
    Turok - Xbox one
    Spiderman - PS4
    Metro exodus - PS4
    Fifa 19 - Switch

Ghostbusters remastered - PS4

• Registered Users Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Gears 5 (Xbox One)
    Was late to the party playing Gears Of War 4 and only completed it a few months ago so it worked out nicely time-wise as Gears 5 was coming out.
    Really enjoyed number 5. Probably dipped ever so slightly in the middle as playing 4 was fresh in my mind. So couldn't help but compare the two. But it finished strong and look forward to playing Gears 6 now.

Graphics are amazing as you would expect. Guns feel heavy and got great sound effects out of them. A wide variety of them too. The same could be said for every enttry tho. Did feel like there wasn't alot new weapons but that doesn't matter as if it aint broke don't fix it.

Kait is an interesting character to play as too. Easy to route for. As for the ending? and interesting choice by the developers and it was good.

Overall: Well worth it. Especially seeing as how it's on game pass too.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,801 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Ace Combat 7
    Dragon Quest 8
    MegaMan
    Megaman 2
    Super Mario Bros
    Megaman 3
    MegaMan 4
    Metal Gear
    Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake
    Picross S

Dragon Quest

Yeah it's an extremely basic and short RPG but I enjoyed my time through it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,246 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

da gamer wrote: »

Ghostbusters remastered - PS4

I played and loved the original on the Ps3. Is it worth getting the remaster?

Game: The Outer Worlds
    Platform: PlayStation 4

As far as RPGs go, it's a bit on the contained side of things. This isn't a sprawling massive open-ended world. And it's not really that challenging.

But what is there is a solid, beautifully made, fairly expansive action RPG akin to a mixture of different games.

It has the atmosphere to that of Mass Effect, combat as tight as Borderlands, dialogue and humour ripped straight out of Fallout New Vegas and much more of Obsidian's charm thrown in.

It didn't take me that long to beat. Maybe 30 hours? But what I got out if it was nothing short of satisfying.

I'm hoping there's some sort of a future expansion as I don't want to shelve the game and never touch it again. I wanna come back.

And that's another thing. No in-game microtransactions, no loot boxes, no pre order bonuses if you bought it at a specific store - there is no monetization within this game at all. It was released as is and what it is, is a fine, polished game. I loved every second of my playthrough.

2019 Games Beaten So Far
    GAME|PLATFORM
    SUPER MARIO BROS.|NES
    FIFA 17|PLAYSTATION 4
    FIFA 18|PLAYSTATION 4
    FIFA 19|PLAYSTATION 4
    CELESTE|NINTENDO SWITCH
    INSIDE|PLAYSTATION 4
    LIMBO|NINTENDO SWITCH
    A WAY OUT|PLAYSTATION 4
    DOOM (93)|PLAYSTATION 4
    GEARS OF WAR 4|PC
    FORBIDDEN SIREN 2|PLAYSTATION 2
    THE OUTER WORLDS|PLAYSTATION 4

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

Game: ThroneBreaker: The Witcher Tales
    Platform: PC

As a player who has dabbled in the multiplayer Gwent for a good few hours, tis a jolly good rump that went on for far longer than it should.

Good story and writing, great soundtrack and voice acting.

If it was half the length at half the price, it probably would have been more adopted.

2019 Games Beaten So Far
    GAME|PLATFORM
    Fallout 4|PC
    ThroneBreaker: The Witcher Tales|PC

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭da gamer

Battlefield V - PS4
    Spyro - PS4
    Red faction - PS4
    Yakuza zero - PS4
    Dmc 5 - PS4
    Resident evil 2 - PS4
    Shadow warrior - PS4