Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Know Your Veg*ns (Pictures and info!)

1232425262729»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 704 ✭✭✭Feu

welcome Mrrrow! yes things are truly changing in Dublin (and Ireland hopefully!) and there are good shops as well as restaurants.

I was in a tiny tiny village in the Wesht (connemara) a few weeks ago and there was an actual vegetarian option on the normal menu. Bean Bolognaise. I nearly died of shock. just 3-4 years ago that would not have been the case in connemara. And it was quite delicious too!

Only thing that still bugs me particularly in Dublin (as a veggie, not vegan) is that Parmesan is often a main component of the "veggie" option.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Mrrrrrow

Thanks, guys! :)

I was slightly shocked at the amount of burrito bars everywhere the last time I visited. I can probably live anywhere as long as there is Mexican fast food available. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭Raminahobbin

Feu wrote: »
    Only thing that still bugs me particularly in Dublin (as a veggie, not vegan) is that Parmesan is often a main component of the "veggie" option.

That drives me up the wall. I try to avoid restaurants that use it anywhere in their vegetarian options, because if they think it's okay just because there's no visible 'meat' then what else are they using?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

That drives me up the wall. I try to avoid restaurants that use it anywhere in their vegetarian options, because if they think it's okay just because there's no visible 'meat' then what else are they using?

example: they go to the trouble of making a rather extensive vegetarian menu, then add parmesan to half the main courses :confused:

http://www.brasseriesixty6.com/menu/foods/vegetarian/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭ Mateo Delicious Dolt

It's lack of knowledge! I worked in a lovely café once, the chef was great and well able to make lovely vegetarian food (the things that woman could do with a simple bean salad! the things!) and would be very conscientious about keeping boards separate and stuff but when I flagged the parmesan issue she'd just really not heard of it. If you're not veggie yourself a lot of these things pass you by.

On an related note, never eat anything from a deli counter.

• Advertisement

BMJD wrote: »
    example: they go to the trouble of making a rather extensive vegetarian menu, then add parmesan to half the main courses :confused:

http://www.brasseriesixty6.com/menu/foods/vegetarian/

PESTO! another related offender!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭Raminahobbin

It's lack of knowledge! I worked in a lovely café once, the chef was great and well able to make lovely vegetarian food (the things that woman could do with a simple bean salad! the things!) and would be very conscientious about keeping boards separate and stuff but when I flagged the parmesan issue she'd just really not heard of it. If you're not veggie yourself a lot of these things pass you by.

On an related note, never eat anything from a deli counter.

It absolutely IS lack of knowledge, but at a certain point you just have to be able to trust the professional you're paying to cook for you- lack of knowledge is not really an excuse, they SHOULD KNOW these things. Or at least find them out when they're putting together their menu. Every chef I've brought it to the attention of has been genuinely surprised, but it doesn't inspire much confidence in them that they didn't figure it out themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭ Mateo Delicious Dolt

It absolutely IS lack of knowledge, but at a certain point you just have to be able to trust the professional you're paying to cook for you- lack of knowledge is not really an excuse, they SHOULD KNOW these things. Or at least find them out when they're putting together their menu. Every chef I've brought it to the attention of has been genuinely surprised, but it doesn't inspire much confidence in them that they didn't figure it out themselves.

I remember a thread on here a few years ago where feckin Café Paradiso (specifically vegetarian restaurant and not cheap) got caught using parmesan or stout or something in a recipe and then didn't seem to think it was a problem :/

I guess it's just hard for them to find things out unless they're specifically looking for them, I can understand how it happens but it is still incredibly annoying

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

I remember a thread on here a few years ago where feckin Café Paradiso (specifically vegetarian restaurant and not cheap) got caught using parmesan or stout or something in a recipe and then didn't seem to think it was a problem :/

I guess it's just hard for them to find things out unless they're specifically looking for them, I can understand how it happens but it is still incredibly annoying

Yeah it was Beamish that was in one of their desserts

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=73012680&postcount=14

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭Killer_banana

Feu wrote: »
    I was in a tiny tiny village in the Wesht (connemara) a few weeks ago and there was an actual vegetarian option on the normal menu. Bean Bolognaise. I nearly died of shock. just 3-4 years ago that would not have been the case in connemara. And it was quite delicious too!

A veggie option in Connemara and it's not the usual risotto. :eek: I am shocked.

• Advertisement

tully in renvyle. literally two pubs and a church. no one was more surprised than I!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

The husband and I.

wedding_zps01d1d550.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

Too adorable ^ :)

Mrrrrrow wrote: »
    Hi there. :)

I've been vegetarian for just over 10 years. I started while I was in school for a few reasons. The first reason was that in a biology class we had to dissect frogs. Not that I ate loads of frogs, but they're animals, and I found the practice to be grisly and sickening, and after that point truly began to think about what I was eating and how it got to my plate. The second reason was because in another class in school, we were assigned a project where we were supposed to make a change in our lives and write about it throughout the school year. I picked becoming a vegetarian as my project. I found that it was a very easy transition and that I didn't miss meat at all, so it's stuck all these years. It's never really crossed my mind to start eating meat again. I wouldn't even know how to prepare it, haha.

Other than that- confession!- I'm American and live in Kentucky. My husband is Irish (from Limerick) and I've visited many many times. We're hoping to move to Ireland (Dublin specifically) in a year or two, as soon as we can afford it. Having spent a lot of time in Limerick, I know there's not much vegetarian culture there (I remember once excitedly ordering a veggie burger in the Chicken Hut in Limerick and being crushed to just get some lettuce on a bun, no joke) so I'm a little nervous about the move. Hoping to quell my fears a little by meeting some other vegetarians. :)

Hi mrrrrrow! Dublin has come such a long way. Honestly I'm so impressed with all the little businesses that have popped up in my absence. I think there is a lot of cool initiatives happening, they might be small yet but they're there. Vegan Ireland hosts events like the book club, talks and screenings, cornucopia had a big BBQ event recently, there's even a vegan running group! Workshops and courses pop up every now and again, there's lots of stuff happening around Dublin if you are in tune to it. If you follow some of the groups on fb you will keep up with what's happening.

I also had a good laugh at your 'veggie burger' experience sorry :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

Still being asked out here in the west when it is discovered that I'm a vegi:

1. Do you eat fish and chicken? :D ..... no
    2. So what do you eat then? :D .... food

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Plantracja

Hi everyone!
    Seems that it is a bit quiet in this topic now but I am going to introduce myself anyway :)
    My name is Natalia and I live in Dublin (since 2010). I am an English teacher and I worked as and edu-carer here in Ireland yet I am currently working as a chef in a creche :) I have been vegetarian for years yet I've decided to go vegan since the beginning of 2015 and I am doing pretty well! As I have a sweet tooth and I used to love milk chocolate, creams and all dairy based sweets it was quite hard for me to become satisfied so... I started experimenting. I truly love the way you can substitute non-vegan ingredients with plant based ones and be so happy with the effects! I have a kind of personal blog on facebook called Plantracja /Domowe Nie Tuczy where I happily share all my recipes for vegan treats and truly yummy plant based smoothies (you are more than welcome to check it out as the main language is English).
    I also have a hamster called Sampel and I love him to bits :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Welcome to boards Natalia, I was vegetarian many years myself before coming vegan nearly two years ago, I love it. The smoothies look great!

Thanks a lot! It's much more demanding but much more rewarding at the same time :) I love animals and being vegetarian doesn't seem to be good enough... what was your reason to 'upgrade'? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

Plantracja wrote: »
    Thanks a lot! It's much more demanding but much more rewarding at the same time :) I love animals and being vegetarian doesn't seem to be good enough... what was your reason to 'upgrade'? :)

Hello Plantracja!

Welcome to boards, the place might seem quite but there are a lot of us lurking around.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Plantracja wrote: »

Same really, more animals die from the egg industry than for most of the meat industries. Example for the US:

Da9afY5.jpg

Same reasoning for dairy, they are killed after they are useful like laying chickens and I don't agree with it. Took a long time to get to it but being vegan is easy and I like it. Also harder to eat unhealthy food so i like that, although I still manage! :p

The numbers are scary, aren't they? Since I became vegan I question so many things... however, I find it easier to keep going and stick to my vegan diet than look up into all movies and adverts against meat, dairy, egg etc. industry. The images are quite disturbing and there was a time that I had kind of a breakdown because of it - it's hard to keep smiling (even if you are vegan so you are not putting your finger on it) when you exactly know what's going on... (my second thoughts for today ;))

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭deaglan1

Oldtree wrote: »
    Still being asked out here in the west when it is discovered that I'm a vegi:

1. Do you eat fish and chicken? :D ..... no
    2. So what do you eat then? :D .... food

:rolleyes:

The West offers wonderful vegan fare - much better in many cases than some of the eateries I have visited in Dublin. Open your eyes and do a little research. Glib comments are the preserve of the narrow minded.

deaglan1 wrote: »
    The West offers wonderful vegan fare - much better in many cases than some of the eateries I have visited in Dublin. Open your eyes and do a little research. Glib comments are the preserve of the narrow minded.

Their post was made 5 years ago, things were quite different then!

Advertisement