Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cutting holes in a concrete floor

Options
  • 10-02-2021 6:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭

I have a lad making up a steel post and rail fence in sections which will be used to divide a concrete yard.
    The steel posts will be buried about 15 inches below floor level into the concrete and re-concreted around.
    While the guy making up the steel will do the welding and fitting of the final sections I have to get the holes dug out for him to bury the posts

So I have seven holes to break into an existing concrete yard/ floor. I am not sure of the depth of the concrete as it was pored before my time here. I would think the depth is hardly more than 75 - 100mm

The holes will need to be about 15 inches square. I would like to keep the holes as neat as possible.

I am wondering on the best way to tackle this. I'll have to hire the gear to do it from the local plant hire
    Would a con saw to cut the concrete and then a kango hammer do the job?
    Would I get a 15" X 15" hole cut easily with a con saw?

Is there a better way?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,612 ✭✭✭✭listermint

arrowman wrote: »
    I have a lad making up a steel post and rail fence in sections which will be used to divide a concrete yard.
    The steel posts will be buried about 15 inches below floor level into the concrete and re-concreted around.
    While the guy making up the steel will do the welding and fitting of the final sections I have to get the holes dug out for him to bury the posts

So I have seven holes to break into an existing concrete yard/ floor. I am not sure of the depth of the concrete as it was pored before my time here. I would think the depth is hardly more than 75 - 100mm

The holes will need to be about 15 inches square. I would like to keep the holes as neat as possible.

I am wondering on the best way to tackle this. I'll have to hire the gear to do it from the local plant hire
    Would a con saw to cut the concrete and then a kango hammer do the job?
    Would I get a 15" X 15" hole cut easily with a con saw?

Is there a better way?

Hire a consaw with hose attachment and have access to a water hose. Keeps the dust down. Don't to it with no water.

Hire a decent kango I rented a Hilti unit with built in vibration damping in the handles it was an absolute dream machine for getting through a concrete accessibility ramp which I literally had ridiculous Hastle with a breaker and 4 ton digger . The Hilti ripped through it . I think it was a te3000 .

Wanted to keep it afterwards :)

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭arrowman

Cheers listermint.

Ya I'd say that Hilti gear is the business - I had a lad tiling at the house last year and he had all the Hilti stuff- mini grinder, impact driver etc. - he said he wouldn't use anything else.
    I might have to take what's available from my local Plant Hire but I will ask for one.

Good tip about the water for the dust.

I was worried the con saw would be too big for a 15 inch square hole

If you really want to keep it them square you can drill the corners with a long 10,12mm bit and that will make them crack nicely .
    If I was just doing 1/2 holes I'd just drill mark them and drill a line of holes and then kango them out.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,031 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Did you get engineers advice on burying the posts 15" down?
    Just wondering if you looked at bolting them directly to the existing floor instead?

The lad that is fitting the fence and myself did talk about bolting them but where this fence is going it will also be acting as a sort of crash barrier so we decided that fixing the posts in concrete would be a better lifetime job.

• Advertisement

The lad that is fitting the fence and myself did talk about bolting them but where this fence is going it will also be acting as a sort of crash barrier so we decided that fixing the posts in concrete would be a better lifetime job.

It might be cheaper and faster to buy a large concrete percussion hole saw such as below and drill out the 4 corners of each hole and kango off the leftovers?
    You can then just lift out the middle :)
    2153R_P&$prodImageMedium$

Thanks GeeBo - if using that hole cutter would I not still need something to give me clean lines around the edges of the hole for the kangoo to break off??

Thanks GeeBo - if using that hole cutter would I not still need something to give me clean lines around the edges of the hole for the kangoo to break off??

It depends on how exact you want to be really, you are going to be reconcreting so it will be uniform afterwards anyway.

You could use any anglegrinder/consaw to create straight lines on top, but they dont need to be 100mm depth since its only the top you will see afterwards.

The other option is that you drill 5 touching holes (or as many as you need to create a 15" hole in the middle) the edges don't need to be square, you just need a hole that's at least 15" with neat edges it seems?

Thanks for that. I might just fire up my DeWalt angle grinder with a stone disk to do the marking so- as you say I only need to mark the top lines. I might drill the holes at the corners as was suggested above.

I am a bit OCD about neat lines when I get the holes broken out even though as you say they will be concreted in around the post.

Thanks for all the comments. Did the job last Saturday.
    Drilled the corners with a 1/2 inch bit then marked / cut the lines with a diamond disk on my DeWalt grinder.
    Hired a Bosch kangoo hammer for 3 hours and broke them out. 3 to 4 inch thick concrete so not too bad
    Job done and as neat as you'd ever want.
    Just have to wait for yer man to come with the steel now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,194 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Thanks for all the comments. Did the job last Saturday.
    Drilled the corners with a 1/2 inch bit then marked / cut the lines with a diamond disk on my DeWalt grinder.
    Hired a Bosch kangoo hammer for 3 hours and broke them out. 3 to 4 inch thick concrete so not too bad
    Job done and as neat as you'd ever want.
    Just have to wait for yer man to come with the steel now

Lets have some pictures? :D

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,258 ✭✭✭✭ted1

GreeBo wrote: »
    It might be cheaper and faster to buy a large concrete percussion hole saw such as below and drill out the 4 corners of each hole and kango off the leftovers?
    You can then just lift out the middle :)
    2153R_P&$prodImageMedium$

Is their rebar in the concrete? Would that cut through it ?

Advertisement