Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ultimate Sporting Venue Tournament

• 05-01-2021 1:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭

New Year, New Ultimate Tournament!

collage-2017-06-22.jpg

I thought we would try something a little eclectic here. By that I mean, any and all sports and sports arenas are open to be nominated. Everything from giant superdomes in US Football to quirky soccer stadia built into mountains. Maybe your fancy is something completely different like the Ally Pally in Darts or the Crucible in Snooker. Multisports venues could be well represented too with the likes of Madison Square Garden. Motorsports, Olympic games, cricket, baseball. This is all to say nothing of our own fair island and our games.

For now, let’s focus on what you’re gonna nominate. I think for the sake of my sanity, I’ll have to put some sort of limit on it. A nomination should state the venue and the sport you are associating it with. E.g. Villa Park, Football (or soccer)

So make your submissions with the following criteria in mind;

-You may choose 2 venues per sport.

-You may choose no more than 5 sports.

-Your nomination must be sent via PM

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭KathleenGrant

Great stuff Omackeral, look forward to your tournaments always.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,540 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

tenor.gif?itemid=5654122

Hard to separate venues from the events that I've seen in them. Have to try to be analytical.

For example, the best match I've ever seen happened in possibly the worst stadium I've ever been in...

main.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Some great nominations received so far and a great array of sports too. Keep them coming folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,552 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Wasn't in it for a sporting event but saw Guns N Roses there in 2017 and its a majestic stadium

London Stadium (Formerly the Olympic Stadium)

300px-FloodlitLondonStadium.jpg

Just for fairness and transparency, all nominations via PM please!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 84,319 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Omackeral wrote: »
    Just for fairness and transparency, all nominations via PM please!

Will get some in soon ;)

No rush for nominations folks, plenty of time!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SineadSpears

I'll cheer you all on from the side line on this one because other than that, I'm of no use to anyone in a sporting game. I'll follow along anyway, might learn a thing or two :pac:

You can vote in what you think is most impressive or quirky or pretty. Everyone is welcome and you’ll be a welcome addition.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SineadSpears

Oh yeah, I forgot about being able to vote later on. Ah I'm confusing myself now thinking of Walrus', & them being just for people who've put in noms. I need more coffee. Lol.

Cool so. I'll join in after other people in the know have put forward all the nominations :)

• Advertisement

12 separate sports nominated as it stands, which shows the mix that will be on show here!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,540 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Winning nominations submitted :D

We've hit the 50 mark for venues now. Still room for more folks so get them in.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,247 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

I'll get mine in later tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,350 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

Can we nominate former venues, ie no longer in use or demolised?

I don’t see why not?!

• Registered Users Posts: 84,319 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I forgot to nominate Madison Square Garden, can you include please or maybe another wrestling fan nominated already

MSG is in already.

Getting very close to complete now with our nominations. If you wanna have your included, get it in today!

Nominations have closed

• Advertisement

Right folks we can kick this one off tonight or tomorrow... your call!

Omackeral wrote: »
    Right folks we can kick this one off tonight or tomorrow... your call!

Necro has his album reveal on at the moment, but it's relatively short, and I think that there's a werewolf game tomorrow night which a lot of people will be focused on, so I'd say tonight if you can do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,705 ✭✭✭✭Hello 2D Person Below

Ready to ride tonight, chief.

winter-grooming-arnd-bronkhorst.jpg

10 minute warning folks!

If you've been here before you'll be familiar with the ways of these competitions. Basically you pick which sporting location you like the best. This can be for any reason such as archecture, atmosphere, historical significance or anything in between.

Here are the rules are in full;

- All draws are determined via a random number generator.
    - All Round 1 matches will last 20 minutes, most votes wins.
    - You are encouraged to give reasons for your choices and these will be used as a tiebreaker in the event of a stalemate.
    - Have fun!

Madison Square Garden

Home of New York Knicks, New York Rangers

https%3A%2F%2Fspecials-images.forbesimg.com%2Fdam%2Fimageserve%2F460180771%2F960x0.jpg%3Ffit%3Dscale

VS

Circuit de Spa-Francorchamps

Home of F1 Belgian Grand Prix

Spa-Francorchamps-Aerial_5.jpg

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Gotta be MSG for me, iconic venue - also this

2sh9UB.gif

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,117 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

I'll vote Spa. Wasn't it Jordan's first race win? Seem to recall a great race in lashings of rain.

No interest in basketball at all by contrast.

Circuit de Spa-Francorchamps. One of my nominations, and probably the greatest F1 circuit in the world. Eau Rouge is certainly the greatest corner in F1. Plus I was at a gig in MSG once, it's like a bigger version of The Point

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Spa, because of rain and drama

Advertisement