Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What is Werewolf?

• 20-09-2017 4:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭

A brief outline of what this is for new players and people interested.

Basically it's a guess who's bad game played on the forum. At the start of the game there are a number of people who have been designated as evil, and the rest are good. The evil players know who each other are and communicate in private. It is the job of the good players to try to figure out who is evil and kill them. It is the job of the evil team to kill all the good players.

That's the most basic. There are other roles and game mechanics added that enable the good team to figure out who is who.

Any questions feel free to ask.
    Baggly wrote: »
    Werewolf FAQ for new players!

Hello and welcome to the Werewolf Forum!

What is Werewolf?

Werewolf is an online game (sometimes called Mafia elsewhere on the internet) whereby a group of players sign up, with the goal of identifying which of them has been assigned the role of a werewolf.

Each day, through deductive reasoning and (vigorous) questioning, the village, which is the total group of players signed up the game, try to find the wolves and lynch them, until there are no wolves left.

At the same time, the wolves have an opportunity to kill off villagers (munch them). Typically, the village wins a game if all the wolves are killed, or the wolves win if they achieve parity with the remaining villagers (no. of wolves = no. of villagers).

There is lots of variation on this mechanic, including the introduction of special roles and powers, but the above is how it basically works. To see a list of some of the roles and powers used, you can view them here.

Who runs each game?

Games are run by a number of game mods who volunteer their time and energy each month. Sometimes more than one game will take place in a given month. Player spots are filled on a first come first served basis and sign ups are open to everyone on boards.

A handy list of the games schedule is here.

Where do I sign up?

If you would like to keep updated on when the next game and its sign ups are starting, please visit this thread and click the follow thread button, and/or add your name to this thread to receive a PM. When a new game is announced by the game mods, it will pop up in that thread, and you can sign up for the game by posting that you want to play!

Do I need to do anything before I play?

Games are typically run using a thread on the Werewolf forum. You need to request access to here.

Players are assigned roles primarily by random assignment (or randing). Typically power roles in the game will be given a backroom on a separate site, so they can post their own thoughts and give their orders. You will be PMed login details for this at the start of the game.

It's important to remember not to ask questions on thread about your role in the actual game thread. Having a role can be valuable information, and you may not want to share what it is too early. A good tip is that, for the duration of the game, only trust the mods!

Anything else I should know?

Normal boards.ie rules still apply when playing a game (e.g. no multiple accounts, no attacking a poster, don't post nasty or explicit stuff). Each game will have its own set of specific rules, which should be read carefully before the game starts. Some of the more common rules can be found listed in the Werewolf Charter.

New players are welcomed and encouraged; feel free to ask about terminology and acronyms in the game, questioning everything is the name of the game and you might even uncover a wolf or role with the answer. As with any community, there are in-jokes, but join in and soon you will be making your own that will become part of the WW forums history!
    Post edited by Boards.ie: Mark on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,139 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

How do you kill?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

pjohnson wrote: »
    How do you kill?

There are various methods.

1) Each night the entire village, evil and good players vote in a poll for who they think is evil. The person with the most votes each night is dead. This is generally the good teams best way to kill. The evil players will also vote, sometimes they try to sway the vote away from one of their own and sometimes they just try to vote as to not arise suspicions.

2) Each morning the evil team, generally referred to as wolves but depending on the game theme they may be called something else, decide who they want to kill.

3) In some games there are special roles, for example a good player may have a gun with two bullets that they can use at any time to kill someone they think is evil, and in other games there may be secondary evil roles working alone that also can choose players at set intervals that they would like to kill.

Far anyone wondering how the wolves etc communicate if you join this forum you will see the archives for the old games we played on here..

http://changeofplangames. com/wwforum/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,404 ✭✭✭✭sKeith

If I got a pm at the start of a game which told me I was the vigilante,
    and I was unsure of a few things about the role,
    so then I asked some questions on the main game thread about what the vigilante is
    and what happens if the vigilante shoots a wolf,
    and what happens if a vigilante shoots a villager,
    What could I expect to happen that night?

You would probably be killed by the wolves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Jayop wrote: »
    You would probably be killed by the wolves.

No. He'd be lying cos he's a slippery wolf - so he'd be lynched. :p

If you are unsure about your role or anything game related,
    private message your game mod or werewolf gm and ask them all the questions.
    Always be aware, that everything you post on the game thread will be read and scrutinized by all the other players and they'll find hidden meaning in everything you write, especially if there was no hidden meaning intended.
    If you've never experienced paranoia before, get ready, because this game oouzes it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

There's me thinking this was some great philosophical debate thread

What is Werewolf? Who truly are the moneters? So do we all have a Werewolf inside us?

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

What's a space donkey?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Pter wrote: »
    What's a space donkey?

the one true God.

• Advertisement

Space Donkey is life.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

Space donkey is sleeping now. Pls stop abusing him Pter.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

Space Donkey is.

Nothing else is needed in that sentence.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,972 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

if you get the roled of a powerful villager such as seer when is the best time to come out?

to answer my own question, if you're in real danger of lynching you should come out.

what about if you nab a baddie on your 1st seer peek? probably not

• Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

Further to Yoss above, take my advice:

Don't hint at roles you may or may not have too early (like day 0/1 early)

The bad guys will be over analysing EVERYTHING YOU SAY, and will be happily chewing your festering corpse by sunup.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,673 ✭✭✭mahamageehad

I dunno I like when new people come in and just make their own choices! Wasn't Lordy a priest his first game or something like that and he came out at a completely random time and threw us all? :P

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I dunno I like when new people come in and just make their own choices! Wasn't Lordy a priest his first game or something like that and he came out at a completely random time and threw us all? :P

I was Snape, a goody who would show as bad if peeked. I figured it was easier to come out asap, since it meant the seer didn't have to waste their peek on me. Looking back, I'm surprised I survived that entire game after admitting I'd show as bad :pac:

Lord TSC wrote: »
    I was Snape, a goody who would show as bad if peeked. I figured it was easier to come out asap, since it meant the seer didn't have to waste their peek on me. Looking back, I'm surprised I survived that entire game after admitting I'd show as bad :pac:

Didn't think that was your first game, I seem to recall being asked to keep you alive because you were on some streak.

Werewolf FAQ for new players!

Hello and welcome to the Werewolf Forum!

What is Werewolf?

Werewolf is an online game (sometimes called Mafia elsewhere on the internet) whereby a group of players sign up, with the goal of identifying which of them has been assigned the role of a werewolf.

Each day, through deductive reasoning and (vigorous) questioning, the village, which is the total group of players signed up the game, try to find the wolves and lynch them, until there are no wolves left.

At the same time, the wolves have an opportunity to kill off villagers (munch them). Typically, the village wins a game if all the wolves are killed, or the wolves win if they achieve parity with the remaining villagers (no. of wolves = no. of villagers).

There is lots of variation on this mechanic, including the introduction of special roles and powers, but the above is how it basically works. To see a list of some of the roles and powers used, you can view them here.

Who runs each game?

Games are run by a number of game mods who volunteer their time and energy each month. Sometimes more than one game will take place in a given month. Player spots are filled on a first come first served basis and sign ups are open to everyone on boards.

A handy list of the games schedule is here.

Where do I sign up?

If you would like to keep updated on when the next game and its sign ups are starting, please visit this thread and click the follow thread button, and/or add your name to this thread to receive a PM. When a new game is announced by the game mods, it will pop up in that thread, and you can sign up for the game by posting that you want to play!

Do I need to do anything before I play?

Games are typically run using a thread on the Werewolf forum. You need to request access to here.

Players are assigned roles primarily by random assignment (or randing). Typically power roles in the game will be given a backroom on a separate site, so they can post their own thoughts and give their orders. You will be PMed login details for this at the start of the game.

It's important to remember not to ask questions on thread about your role in the actual game thread. Having a role can be valuable information, and you may not want to share what it is too early. A good tip is that, for the duration of the game, only trust the mods!

Anything else I should know?

Normal boards.ie rules still apply when playing a game (e.g. no multiple accounts, no attacking a poster, don't post nasty or explicit stuff). Each game will have its own set of specific rules, which should be read carefully before the game starts. Some of the more common rules can be found listed in the Werewolf Charter.

New players are welcomed and encouraged; feel free to ask about terminology and acronyms in the game, questioning everything is the name of the game and you might even uncover a wolf or role with the answer. As with any community, there are in-jokes, but join in and soon you will be making your own that will become part of the WW forums history!

Advertisement