Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Couple with six children killed in Palestine

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭MakeEmLaugh

No
    davmol wrote: »
    OP-Where was your cries when an Israeli stabbed some teenagers some of which later died because they were at a gay march?

That was a revolting act. Yishai Schlissel, the Israeli who stabbed those teenagers, was quite rightly arrested for murder. I do not want to see him released.

The Israeli government called it a “despicable hate crime”.

Eitam and Naama Henkin were killed by a Palestinian gunman this week.

A member of the government in Gaza called it “a heroic act”.

No
    do I care about 2 Israelis SETTLERS?not really.
    Settlers are the worst form of scum on the planet-look them up and see what they've done

Again, thank you for your comment.

I would prefer people with views like yours are honest, and didn't try to hide behind euphemistic language.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Regardless of peoples views, 2 people were murdered and children have been orphaned.

I'm struggling to get my head around the mindset that says "this act is okay because people from their community did this..."

The whataboutery in this thread and every thread like it really ****s me off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

That was a revolting act. Yishai Schlissel, the Israeli who stabbed those teenagers, was quite rightly arrested for murder. I do not want to see him released.

The Israeli government called it a “despicable hate crime”.

.....aren't they great. Meanwhile they pander to the kind of extremists that give rise to that kind of thinking, and crimes against Palestinians in the main go unpunished.

Nodin wrote: »
    .....aren't they great. Meanwhile they pander to the kind of extremists that give rise to that kind of thinking, and crimes against Palestinians in the main go unpunished.

Can I ask you, as an isolated act, do you think it was okay that these people were killed?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭davmol

DrumSteve wrote: »
    Can I ask you, as an isolated act, do you think it was okay that these people were killed?

they are casualties of the conflict that has claimed many lives.Many many more Palestinians.

Whats your opinions of the 500+ Palestinian children and 1800 innocent civilians murdered by Israel?

they are casualties of the conflict that has claimed many lives.Many many more Palestinians.

Whats your opinions of the 500+ Palestinian children and 1800 innocent civilians murdered by Israel?

Whatabout...whatabout...whatabout....

I think it's a tragedy.

Do you think it's okay they were killed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

Whatabout...whatabout...whatabout....

I think it's a tragedy.

Do you think it's okay they were killed?

This thread started with whataboutary. The op even stopped people in the street to argue the whataboutary position.

his entire position is whatabout Israelis.

No
    A few days the Israelis killed an 18 year old for being, well, not Jewish.

Do you have a source?

Do you have a source?

Seriously? Surely it made the news.

In any case it's a simple Google.

• Advertisement

No
    Do you have a source?
    Seriously? Surely it made the news.

In any case it's a simple Google.

I have Googled it.

Where is your source showing that Israelis killed an 18 year old not for being Jewish?

I can't find that anywhere on Google.

If that isn't just a lie you invented, please provide a source.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,368 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

No
    Hamas were elected in Gaza. This is the west bank, where the majority of Palestinians are. If you're going to comment, it would be nice if you actually has some vague notion of the realities beforehand.

Well if you bothered to read the first post it stated that a Hamas spokesman was delighted with their death and that's what I was referring to, anyway you have been found out on the other thread regarding immigration to be an Islamic apologist.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

I'm struggling to get my head around the mindset that says "this act is okay because people from their community did this..."

No, its not ok, its a terrible crime.

It should also be pointed that settlers are putting themselves in danger by stealing Palestinian land. Its insane that parents would deliberately put themselves and children in danger like this. There no different than the nutters dragging there entire families to Iraq.

I have Googled it.

Where is your source showing that Israelis killed an 18 year old not for being Jewish?

I can't find that anywhere on Google.

If that isn't just a lie you invented, please provide a source.

They killed an 18 year old Palestinian girl. She did nothing.

If you can find a record of the Israeli army killing 18 year old Jewish girls for no reason please do share.

No
    They killed an 18 year old Palestinian girl. She did nothing.

You are referring to Hadeel al-Hashlamun.

She set off a metal detector because she was carrying a knife.

The Israeli soldiers told her not to move, and shot at her feet.

She then pulled the knife out and advanced towards the Israeli soldiers, after which they shot her.

A photograph of the knife can be seen here.

Am I sorry a young woman was shot dead? Absolutely.

Was she shot because she was not Jewish? No.

The fact that you would say that speaks volumes about your ignorance of the situation.

You are referring to Hadeel al-Hashlamun.

She set off a metal detector because she was carrying a knife.

The Israeli soldiers told her not to move, and shot at her feet.

She then pulled the knife out and advanced towards the Israeli soldiers, after which they shot her.

A photograph of the knife can be seen here.

Am I sorry a young woman was shot dead? Absolutely.

Was she shot because she was not Jewish? No.

The fact that you would say that speaks volumes about your ignorance of the situation.

Of course she was shot for being non Jewish because if she set off an alarm (if she did) and was Jewish she wouldn't have been killed. She didn't advance with the knife either. She stood still

I love the photograph of the knife by the way. That's conclusive. A knife on the ground.

Here the photography of the incident via the daily mail.

No knife until it appears after the shooting.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3247302/Pictured-18-year-old-university-student-photographed-moments-shot-dead-Israeli-soldiers-checkpoint.html

I'm not comfortable with it happening in front of the children, but after that, no, I'm not pushed. They're colonists, they're in an occupied zone.
    Well if you bothered to read the first post it stated that a Hamas spokesman was delighted with their death and that's what I was referring to, anyway you have been found out on the other thread regarding immigration to be an Islamic apologist.

Bit of a laugh. I'm against all acts of colonialism and imperialism, whether its in West Papua or the west bank. Others seem to look at certain things and say "o, they're muslim, screw them". I think its fairly clear what the modern view is.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,368 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

No
    I'm not comfortable with it happening in front of the children, but after that, no, I'm not pushed. They're colonists, they're in an occupied zone.

Bit of a laugh. I'm against all acts of colonialism and imperialism, whether its in West Papua or the west bank. Others seem to look at certain things and say "o, they're muslim, screw them". I think its fairly clear what the modern view is.

Ah that clears up a good for things regarding your political loyalties, I would say you would have been a strong supporter of the republican movement who had a decent weapon and bomb making business with their buddies in Palestine. A signed up member of Gerry's army.
    All is fair if it's a war against so called colonialism in Nodins world view!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

I don't condone killings of any kind, military or otherwise. Never have.

But for those who take the view that military killing is acceptable while civilian killing is not, then I have to ask - how exactly do you differentiate between a military occupation and a civilian one? Is the view that choosing to move in to someone else's land as part of a military occupation makes you a de facto member of the invading army not a perfectly valid one?

If I choose to take part in a military operation actively, on its front line (in this case, the military driven colonisation of the west bank), then surely just because I don't wear a uniform it doesn't mean that I'm not effectively part of the invading army. Just as Hamas militants who launch rockets are still regarded as military targets despite not wearing a uniform.

If you condone the killing of the latter, then the only logical way you can fail to condone the killing of the former is if you try to argue that a military occupation of someone else's land does not count as an act of aggression. In which case you're going to have to explain that opinion, because it makes little sense to me.

Obviously children are an exception to this since they weren't offered a choice about living in a settlement, but adults who chose to move to land as part of a military occupation should be regarded on the same level as civilians who lob rockets into Israeli land as part of a military occupation.

Ah that clears up a good for things regarding your political loyalties, I would say you would have been a strong supporter of the republican movement who had a decent weapon and bomb making business with their buddies in Palestine. A signed up member of Gerry's army.

....so called? :confused:

• Advertisement

"Nodin in Republican Shock!!!!!!"

• They killed an 18 year old Palestinian girl. She did nothing.

If you can find a record of the Israeli army killing 18 year old Jewish girls for no reason please do share.

She was a terrorist.

The only sad aspect is that they shot her. Far too quick.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭pmasterson95

No
    Good old boards. Palestinians are heros. Israelis scum. Some bandwagons never change :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Anyone who defends the murder of 2 civilians in front of their kids is a scumbag, regardless of your position on the Israel/Palestine situation.

Good old boards. Palestinians are heros. Israelis scum. Some bandwagons never change :)

Israelis aren't scum. Settlers are. If you disagree, by all means explain why - so far I've never seen a convincing reason not to regard people who steal others' property based on a religious myth as scum.

I still don't condone killing them because I don't condone killing, end of story. But I do regard them as scum. What specifically separates them from people who decide to move into my house and threaten me with guns when I tell them to f*ck off? That's exactly what the military backed settler movement has done. Palestinians lived on the land beyond Israel's 1967 border before they were driven out to make room for settlements. That's theft - there's no other word for it.

As I said before, the only settlers I feel empathy for are the children of people who moved to them. They didn't choose their situation and they didn't choose to be brought into the world in the middle of a war zone. But it's the parents who should regarded even more as scumbags for putting kids in that situation to begin with.

Good old boards. Palestinians are heros. Israelis scum. Some bandwagons never
    change

If Palestinians were colonising Israel you'd have a point. They are not, however, so its hard to know what you're on about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭IngazZagni

No
    I feel sorry for the vast majority of innocent Israelis who are demonised for simply being, well an Israeli Jew. That is more than evident here on boards. These same people are supporting an Islamic terrorist Government that support the murder of innocent civilians. Can you imagine the field day the same people would have if an Israeli Government official said something similar? Pure hypocrisy.

IngazZagni wrote: »
    I feel sorry for the vast majority of innocent Israelis who are demonised for simply being, well an Israeli Jew. That is more than evident here on boards................

That sounds like anti-Semitism to me. Could you link to the posts where this occurred?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭IngazZagni

No
    That sounds like anti-Semitism to me. Could you link to the posts where this occurred?

It was actually a response to Eugene Normans post.

• Advertisement

IngazZagni wrote: »
    It was actually a response to Eugene Normans post.

In what way did he demonise anyone for being an Israeli Jew?

And furthermore, care to respond to the settler / Israeli distinction?

If you won't make such a distinction, please explain your reasons.

Advertisement