Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bye bye LAFHA, no more gravy train

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Yeah and if you want to bring defacto's or dependants they are going to have to pay.
    User-pays system under new visa pricing model
    Tuesday, 29 November 2011

The Gillard Government will implement a new visa fee system to ensure taxpayers are no longer subsidising visa applications, the Minister for Immigration and Citizenship, Chris Bowen MP, announced today.

Mr Bowen said the significant changes included the introduction of a fee for dependants of visa applicants from July 2013.

'If people are bringing family members with them to Australia, the fee will reflect the additional processing and checks for these family members,' Mr Bowen said.

'These changes will bring Australia's visa application charge structures in line with comparable countries. The user-pays approach means that taxpayers will no longer need to subsidise visa applicants.'

Currently, the application fees charged to people wanting to come to Australia do not cover the cost to the Commonwealth of processing the applications. The changes are projected to generate about $613 million over the next four years in revenue.

There will be no change to humanitarian visas as part of the new application fee structure.

Student visa application fees will also decrease by 5 per cent from 1 January 2012, increasing the competitiveness of Australia's international education sector. At the same time, fees for a range of Skills and Business visas will increase by between 5 per cent and 15 per cent.

In addition, some visa programs, such as the overwhelming majority of visitor visas, will be unaffected by the move to user-pays to ensure there is no impact on tourism.

From July 2012 a CPI increase will also apply to the majority of visa application fees and a surcharge will be introduced for optional services such as visa labels.

Other changes to take effect from July 2013 will affect applications for longer-duration visas and for those seeking further visas onshore.

Mr Bowen said to encourage the use of online applications, there would also be an additional charge for people making a paper-based application where there is an 'e' visa option.

As part of the changes, improvements will be made to the Department of Immigration and Citizenship's IT network.

'We need to maintain our IT development with online applications and biometrics collection and checking,' Mr Bowen said.

'These initiatives will put Australian visa services on a sustainable financial footing, while supporting our position globally as a destination of choice to visit, live, work or study.'

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Lost mine a few months ago so wont affect me personally. Expect an upsurge of PR applications post July 2012 especially pre July 2013 as to avoid the extra fee.

Not sure why they are going on about Australian tax payers "subsidising" visa applications. Most temporary residents are tax payers already and are not entitled to the same services as permanent residents.
    Plus its ain't exactly cheap! ENS 856 is at least $3500 and one has to wait a good few months for it to come though! Good thing my application is going in in a few weeks, this fee would have doubled the cost almost!

jank wrote: »
    Expect an upsurge of PR applications post July 2012 especially pre July 2013 as to avoid the extra fee.

I read on another forum recently that because post July 2012 175 & 176 application's are by invitation only, the first round of invites is not until Jan 2013. That's 6 months of not accepting GSM PR applications (ENS 121 & 856 are not affected for EOI). They reckon that the Dept will use that 6 months as a time to clear the backlog of 30,000 outstanding applications.

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭danotroy

maybe a bit silly but ive just arrived and heard about this before. working in hospitality would i be entitled to LAFHA?

• Advertisement

danotroy wrote: »
    maybe a bit silly but ive just arrived and heard about this before. working in hospitality would i be entitled to LAFHA?

It's an employee fringe benefit, who the onus is on your employer, if WHV more than likely no, although some ppl have got it.

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭danotroy

hussey wrote: »
    It's an employee fringe benefit, who the onus is on your employer, if WHV more than likely no, although some ppl have got it.

so basically the employer pays me the allowance at an extra cost to themselves?

danotroy wrote: »
    so basically the employer pays me the allowance at an extra cost to themselves?

No its an allowance, they reduce your salary by x and increase your your allowance by x.

Salary is taxable.
    Allowance is not.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Feelgood

With the high cost of living down here and LAFHA removed, I reckon my take home pay will be on par if not less than back home in Ireland. For some temporary visa holders, particularly those with kids I think it will be hard to justify staying here.

I was holding off on applying for PR because I didn't want to lose LAFHA, though as jank said there will be an upsurge of PR applications from July next year.

Is there much involved to go from a 457 to PR?. People keep mentioning the 457 visa as a back door to PR, how does that work?

Its a back door because some people don't qualify for PR because ie. they can't get a skills assessment (lack of qualifications and experience)

once you are on a 457 for 2 years you can apply without a skills assessment if your employer is willing to sponsor you for ENS. (with a Skills Assess you can apply at anytime as long as employer is willing to sponsor for ENS)

As regards General Skills Migration PR the work on a 457 in Australia gives a few extra brownies for

1 year = 5 points
    3 Year = 10 points
    5 year = 15 points
    8 year = 20 points

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭kdevitt

Feelgood wrote: »
    With the high cost of living down here and LAFHA removed, I reckon my take home pay will be on par if not less than back home in Ireland. For some temporary visa holders, particularly those with kids I think it will be hard to justify staying here.

Ditto - think I'll start the job search back home.

mandrake04 wrote: »
    Its a back door because some people don't qualify for PR because ie. they can't get a skills assessment (lack of qualifications and experience)

once you are on a 457 for 2 years you can apply without a skills assessment if your employer is willing to sponsor you for ENS. (with a Skills Assess you can apply at anytime as long as employer is willing to sponsor for ENS)

Thanks mate, a fountain of Australian kangaroo knowledge as always! :D
    Though if my employer sponsors me for ENS without skills assessment, am I then bound to that employer for the duration of my PR?. Am I also right in saying that if your employer sponsors you, this process then becomes a lot faster?.
    kdevitt wrote: »
    Ditto - think I'll start the job search back home.

Jaysus, I wouldn't got that far just yet mate!. Fair enough we will be down a few quid for sure, but quality of life comes above cash any day. We will just have to drink a few less schooners and stop buying bananas and we will we right!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭kdevitt

Jaysus, I wouldn't got that far just yet mate!. Fair enough we will be down a few quid for sure, but quality of life comes above cash any day. We will just have to drink a few less schooners and stop buying bananas and we will we right!

Not much point hanging around too long if I'd have more disposable income at home!

Though if my employer sponsors me for ENS without skills assessment, am I then bound to that employer for the duration of my PR?.
    Nope, but they could ask you to sign something or a fixed length term
    a friend of mine had it written if she left within 6 months she paid the cost back, 12 months 1/2 it back. Not sure if they would ever enforce it (or if it was above board) but she was happy anyway
    Am I also right in saying that if your employer sponsors you, this process then becomes a lot faster?.
    Yes you are put near the top pile (if not the top),

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭LizOHagan

Hello,

LAFHA has been marketed and used heavily for some time. I expect this change and the understanding of the real cost of being on a 457 for families will hit home. Permanent residency is not (despite what was quoted in irish media in recent days) automatic just because you have a 457 visa. All 457 applicants should be investigating PR option now due to changes next year. ENS visas are being processed slower that some skilled visas at the moment so timing is everything.

Planning and good advice is critical.

Liz

LizOHagan wrote: »
    Hello,

LAFHA has been marketed and used heavily for some time. I expect this change and the understanding of the real cost of being on a 457 for families will hit home. Permanent residency is not (despite what was quoted in irish media in recent days) automatic just because you have a 457 visa. All 457 applicants should be investigating PR option now due to changes next year. ENS visas are being processed slower that some skilled visas at the moment so timing is everything.

Liz

Good advice. Looking at the ENS time lines the processing has ballooned from a few weeks to about half a year. Can see a lot of people getting caught on these changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭jockey#1

LizOHagan wrote: »
    Hello,

Liz

Can I ask you when is a good and a bad time to apply for 175?

I'm almost there with preparation for my application just a few issues with my english test & skills assessment which I hope to have ironed out in a couple of weeks and have Visa application in before Xmas hopefully...

• Registered Users Posts: 38,921 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Though if my employer sponsors me for ENS without skills assessment, am I then bound to that employer for the duration of my PR?. Am I also right in saying that if your employer sponsors you, this process then becomes a lot faster?.

It depends on your contract, but its prob onlt for 1-2 years max and only if they pay costs

My housemate just put her PR in 3 weeks ago and was approved today, she had ENS!

sorry kinda unrelated to LAFHA

• Advertisement

jockey#1 wrote: »

Well any time before next year July as after then its only if you are invited to apply.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭duke916

I'm almost there with preparation for my application just a few issues with my english test & skills assessment which I hope to have ironed out in a couple of weeks and have Visa application in before Xmas hopefully...

sooner the better...and wait some more. ive applied two years ago and aint even got a case officer. read on a couple of forums lately that GSM175's now taking 4/5 years to process. I rang my agent and says I'll be looking at another year at least. Life on hold - Goal posts keep moving. Sigh!

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭jockey#1

duke916 wrote: »
    sooner the better...and wait some more. ive applied two years ago and aint even got a case officer. read on a couple of forums lately that GSM175's now taking 4/5 years to process. I rang my agent and says I'll be looking at another year at least. Life on hold - Goal posts keep moving. Sigh!

Holy crap I was hoping I would have it within 12 months from what i gather on this forum and a few others. Can I ask what occupation you applied under and why you expect it to take this long :(

hussey wrote: »
    My housemate just put her PR in 3 weeks ago and was approved today, she had ENS!

sorry kinda unrelated to LAFHA

Ask her if she used an agent and submitted it as a DRC application.
    If she did all that then a few weeks is not surprising. Non-DRC applications take waaaaay longer.

Mellor wrote: »
    It depends on your contract, but its prob onlt for 1-2 years max and only if they pay costs

I'll be paying costs myself I'd say, so hopefully won't be bound to one employer. Kinda defeats the purpose of having PR. I'd like to be able
    to switch jobs or maybe even move cities for a while.

mandrake04 wrote: »
    Well any time before next year July as after then its only if you are invited to apply.

What do you mean here mate?

What do you mean here mate?

At the moment if you have the 65 points you can just apply if you feel like it.

From next July no one will be applying for a GSM 175 or GSM 176 unless the government invites them to apply. Its called Expression of interest.

You actually register your interest in migrating if you make the minimum points threshold but that does not necessarily mean that you will be invited, depending on your occupation, level of English, Qualifications, Experience etc will give you a "Human Capital Value".

If for instance you are a Carpenter and the Industry/Government/Dweer collaboration decides they need 500 carpenters to migrate to Australia for that year then the computer runs through the database and invites the top 500 carpenters based on their Human capital value. Once that 500 ceiling is reached no more carpenter's until the next year (unless some don't apply then the next highest of the list will be invited).

If you are invited you have 2 months to apply or else your invitation is considered null and void. Anyone who registers is kept on the database for 2 years unless they are invited and have lodged an application. Australia will be deciding exactly what occupations its going to let in and to a certain extent where they want them to live.

Its also only optional for ENS, employers can look at the database (if they can be bothered) and select someone if they suit a vacant business but if you already have an employer willing to sponsor you don't even have to register on the database the government considers ENS as a priority so its an automatic green light.

Its just makes it a lot harder for a lot more people.

Holy crap I was hoping I would have it within 12 months from what i gather on this forum and a few others. Can I ask what occupation you applied under and why you expect it to take this long :(

Im a graphic designer and at the time of application, it was on the SOL list. Thankfully I applied when I did because the SOL has been scrapped and other occupations slashed from the general list including mine. If you look on other migration forums to australia you'll see the MINIMUM wait is 18 months according to most agents. Considering all the numerous changes over the last two years etc, the waiting times are longer, much longer Im sorry to say. Believe me, this waiting and waiting is not what I had in mind but Ive no choice. I just have to keep my head down, hang on to my job and try save as much as I can til I get some response.

Reading various threads on forums such as pominoz.com etc where people who applied in Sept 2008 are still waiting. There is a huge backlog at the moment and the upsurge in applications from the likes or Ireland and other European countries due to recession with people migrating certainly isnt helping. Ive been told I may not hear anything til January 2012. I know my occupation is on the state sponsored list for South Australia but I dont want to go there. Plus Id have to cancel my current application at the cost of €3500 and apply again through the state at a cost of €1500 plus the paperwork headache all over again. If I didnt have my heart set on Australia I would chose somewhere else. Too much red tape and money in my opinion.....and your left waiting.

As Mandrake04 pointed out, the GSM175 visa is getting harder and harder to get. Eventually this will be phased out altogether from what Ive learnt from agents talking on other forums.

duke916 wrote: »

As Mandrake04 pointed out, the GSM175 visa is getting harder and harder to get. Eventually this will be phased out altogether from what Ive learnt from agents talking on other forums.

I don't think it will be phased out altogether but as one agent put it there are certain occupations which are a "protected species" while other common trades have been flagged possible removal.

There is going be a lot of disappointed people over the next 6 months there is already a big scramble for Skills assessment IELTS and limited State sponsorship so people can get in an application before the changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭LizOHagan

The 175 visa as we know it will change in July 2012 as Australia looks for it's 'brightest and best'. It will then be an 'invitation' system and quotas for each occupation. Competition for occupations will be strong as those with the highest number of points will be more likely to get an 'invite'. Unlike now where you just need to meet the minimum passmark to lodge a visa.

Applicants will still need to have skill assessment and most likely IELTS before they can lodge an Expression of Interest (EOI) which means a financial investment and no guarantee of an invite and some skill assessment results are only valid for 12 months. The first lot of invites under the new program won't be until Jan 2013 so people will need to factor this in as well.

A bigger problem is due to the economic state of Ireland many applicants do not satisfy the recent work experience of 12 out of 24 months paid, taxable employment.

Processing times for Irish applicants varies but at the moment some 176 visa are being decided in 2-3 months and some 175 in approx 6 - 7 months.

So all in all a much different system for Australia but similar for New Zealand. In fact, New Zealand can work out easier for some applicants especially trades with the rebuilds etc.

• Advertisement

i just hope processing times will considerably speed up as its unfair having life on hold for what seems like an eternity, not knowing when your number is going to be called. 2 years and counting....

Their 'estimated' processing time and 'realistic' processing times are completely different. For the last two years all people keep asking me is 'so when are ya heading off? when in fact they know as much about it as I do.

Advertisement