Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New motor tax and VRT regime. Links + calculations

Options
  • 11-12-2007 12:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 64,762 ✭✭✭✭

This is now included in the charter / main sticky

The new VRT system is applicable only to cars bought new in this country or imported from another country (new or second hand) and registered after 01/07/2008

VRT:

Band A (<=120 grams per km) - 14%
    Band B (121-140 grams perkm) - 16%
    Band C (141-155 grams per km) - 20%
    Band D (156-170 grams per km) - 24%
    Band E (171-190 grams per km) - 28%
    Band F (191-225 grams per km) - 32%
    Band G (>225 grams per km) - 36%

Note: the minimum VRT amount for cars under 30 years old changes as well. Until 01/07/2008 this minimum amount is €315 but after that date the minimum rates are based on the CO2 bands (see here on the bottom of the page):

Band A (<=120 grams per km) - €280
    Band B (121-140 grams perkm) - €320
    Band C (141-155 grams per km) - €400
    Band D (156-170 grams per km) - €480
    Band E (171-190 grams per km) - €560
    Band F (191-225 grams per km) - €640
    Band G (>225 grams per km) - €720

The new motor tax system is applicable only to cars first registered (when new) in 2008 and later, no matter which country they were registered in. All older cars stay on the old cc based tax system

Motor tax: New System based on CO2

Band A (<=120 grams per km) - €100
    Band B (121-140 grams perkm) - €150
    Band C (141-155 grams per km) - €290
    Band D (156-170 grams per km) - €430
    Band E (171-190 grams per km) - €600
    Band F (191-225 grams per km) - €1,000
    Band G (>225 grams per km) - €2,000

A simple VRT calculation:

A pre-2008 BMW 320d ES (CO2 131 g/km) listed for €47.800. The previous VRT rate is 30%, which means that €14,340 (30% of €47.800) is VRT. The list price excluding VRT is €47.800 minus €14,340 = €33,460

The new VRT rate is 16% (band B). This means that the the new list price is €33,460 / (1-0.16) = €39,833. A saving of 8 grand!

In formula:

old list price * (1-current VRT rate) / (1-new VRT rate) = new list price

A simple motor tax calculation:

A pre-2008 BMW 320d ES has an annual motor tax of €590 from 01/01/2009. See here

Under the new regime, the tax is €150 per year (band B)

Sites with CO2 information:

http://www.smmtco2.co.uk/co2search2.asp includes slightly older cars

http://www.vcacarfueldata.org.uk/ official uk site with new cars only

http://www.parkers.co.uk has older cars too going back more than 10 years

What is acceptable as proof of CO2 when registering a second hand car:

From http://www.revenue.ie/leaflets/vrt-new-tax-regime.htm:

Imported Second-Hand Vehicles

When an imported second-hand vehicle is presented for registration, the levels of CO2 emissions at the time of manufacture must be declared to Revenue on form VRT4 (the form used by an individual to register a second hand car).

If the vehicle originated within the EU, the declaration must be supported by documentary evidence confirming the level of CO2 emissions of the vehicle to the satisfaction of Revenue.

Revenue will accept a range of documentation for this purpose. Among the documents deemed satisfactory at present are:
    • the Certificate of Conformity (if it is available),
    • a printout from the Revenue ROS Enquiry System where the level of CO2 emissions is shown www.ros.ie
    • evidence included on a previous registration document e.g. the UK V5,
    • the level of CO2 emissions stated on a previous National Car Test performed elsewhere within the EU provided the CO2 stated is that given at the time of manufacture,
    • A print out for the vehicle from the DVLA (Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency) web site, www.vehiclelicence.gov.uk
    • A printout from the VCA (Vehicle Certification Agency) web site
    • A printout from the SEI (Sustainable Energy Ireland) website
    • A certificate from the manufacturer or main distributor stating the level of CO2 emissions.
    If the vehicle originated in Japan, documentary evidence of the level of CO2 emissions will also be required.

The following documentation must be presented with the VRT4:
    • Japanese Export Certificates or Japanese Certificates of Cancellation of Motor Vehicle Registration,
    • a printout from the Japanese Ministry of Land, Infrastructure and Transport showing the level of CO2 emissions for the model on the certificate

Revenue are currently reviewing the additional documentation that may be required for vehicles imported from other non EU States e.g. Singapore and the United States.

If no proof of CO2 is available (older cars), it can be calculated:

From http://www.revenue.ie/leaflets/vrt-new-tax-regime.htm:
    Second-hand Vehicles manufactured prior to 1997.

In certain instances the level of CO2 emissions may not be available for vehicles manufactured prior to 1997. In such instances, if details of the fuel consumption of the vehicle are available - the combined figure derived from an average of urban and extra-urban figures (obtained from any of the Revenue approved sources only), the level of CO2 for the vehicle may be calculated using the formulae below.

It should be noted that all calculations using the formulae below must be carried out by the declarant in advance of the presentation of the vehicle at a Vehicle Registration Office (VRO).
    Metric Calculations:
    where fuel consumption is shown as litres per 100km:

CO2 emissions = fuel consumption X 23.20
    Example
    If the consumption is shown as 5.8 l/100km then 5.8 X 23.20 = CO2 emissions of 134.56 or 135
    where the fuel consumption is shown as litres per km:

CO2 emissions = fuel consumption X 2320
    Example
    If the consumption is shown as 0.0058 l/km then 0.058 X 2320 = CO2 emissions of 134.56 or 135
    where the fuel consumption is shown as kms per litre:

CO2 emissions = 2320/fuel consumption
    Example
    If the fuel consumption is shown as 17.2 km per litre then 2320 / 17.2 = CO2 emissions of 134.88 or 135
    Imperial Calculations
    where the fuel consumption is shown as miles per gallon the figure must first be converted to kms per litre as follows:

mpg/2.82485 = kms per litre
    CO2 emissions are then calculated using the formula in 1(c) above.
    Example
    If the fuel consumption is shown as 48.7 mpg then 48.7/2.82485 = 17.2 km per litre and 2320/17.2 = CO2 emissions of 134.88 or 135

Note: For diesel engines the multiplier changes from 2320 (or 23.20) to 2630 or (26.30) whichever is appropriate.

Classic cars:

Defined as being over 30 years old. These are not affected. They are VRT exempt (only due a €50 registration fee) and motor tax will be just €46 per year

Here's how VAT and VRT are calculated:

Same example of the pre-2008 BMW 320d ES that listed for €47,800.

€27,653 pre-tax price
    € 5,807 VAT (21% of the pre-tax price of €27,653)
    €14,340 VRT (30% of the list price of €47,800)
    €47,800 Total list price

Note that the total tax was 73% on top of the pre-tax price

(€47,800 - €27,653) / €27,653 = 73%

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 64,762 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Thanks for the link, galwaytt, but I don't like that site. It's cumbersome (have to fill in all sorts of irrelevant spec levels) and it doesn't have the CO2 for my car. My car was still for sale in the UK in 2001 so it's not great. Unless I am missing something? 2001 BMW 735

Any other sites?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭MuffinsDa

unkel wrote: »
    Any other sites?
    http://www.vcacarfueldata.org.uk/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

how will commerical tax now be calcualted?

MuffinsDa wrote: »

Good site. Only has new cars though. I'd like to know where the VRO are going to base the data on for second hand cars...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Good site. Only has new cars though. I'd like to know where the VRO are going to base the data on for second hand cars...

Why would they bother to base anything?

Unless the importer can come up with certified, EU approved, verifiable figures, they're just going to charge full whack.

(I'd expect they'd want to see something very official ...some quote from a website won't do.)

Should be good bizznizz for them :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

how will commerical tax now be calcualted?
    I imagine it's unchanged.

I pray it's unchanged!

Edit: goes up 9.5%. Not too bad. I just taxed for 12 months in October.

peasant wrote: »
    Unless the importer can come up with certified, EU approved, verifiable figures, they're just going to charge full whack.

(I'd expect they'd want to see something very official ...some quote from a website won't do.)

You're spot on. From here:
    7. Determining CO2 emission levels of vehicles
    The CO2 emission rating for each new car being registered will normally be determined based on the emissions information contained in the model’s Certificate of Conformity, a document which, since 2001, European law has required to contain such information. In respect of used imports, the CO2 rating will have to be declared on form VRT4 (Declaration for registration of a used vehicle) by the person registering the vehicle. The declaration will be required to be supported by documentary evidence of the CO2 rating, for example, a Certificate of Conformity, a previous registration certificate, or a certificate from the manufacturer or a main distributor, provided in each case the CO2 rating is included; or a certificate from an
    organisation approved by the Revenue Commissioners to provide such certificates. Where a certificate or a measurement is not available or fails to satisfy the Revenue Commissioners, the VRT tax charged could be set at the maximum VRT rate allowable. Such a VRT rating would be open to appeal through the VRT appeals system.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

that's a question I posted before - 'the maximum VRT rate allowable' - what is this?

In the case of a car for which there is no C02 data published, (typically pre-2001), does that mean 36% ? - or, and I'd certainly be pushing for this, that it be the max VRT rate on the aged equivalent.? E.g. my '94 968 - there is no data on it. So, VRT on that should be on the same basis as previous, and the OMSP should be as per current market value (i.e. reflected by the 'old' system), i.e NOT 36% ?

Likewise with the tax, btw.......whichever rate of VRT you get it at, you now need to tax it. So, again, no C02 data, so, I should be able to tax it for Eur1490, not 2k.

Yesh?

Why am I bothered, when I already have the car? - easy, I want to change in March.......

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

galwaytt wrote: »
    Why am I bothered, when I already have the car? - easy, I want to change in March.......

Get with the programme ...:D...this country is GREEN now

You're not supposed to import some old "stinker" anymore. Unless you can prove that it isn't a heavily polluting car, they're just going to assume that it is and hit you with everything they got.

Any pre 2001 (or thereabouts) car without verifiable CO2 data from July onwards will attract the highest VRT rate and an automatic road tax of 2000 euro. If you're keen enough to import anyway, they'll gladly take your money.

I can't see that there will be any exemptions on this

(and I'm kind of wondering myself on what to import on reserve before this happens :rolleyes:)

• Advertisement

peasant wrote: »
    and I'm kind of wondering myself on what to import on reserve before this happens :rolleyes:

Seriously considering bringing in an early W126 500SEL. My favourite saloon ever. An '81 one will cost maybe a grand in VRT and a couple of years of €1491 in tax, after which it will go down to the classic €46 tax

Hell, I'll make this into a new thread :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Seriously considering bringing in an early W126 500SEL. My favourite saloon ever. An '81 one will cost maybe a grand in VRT and a couple of years of €1491 in tax, after which it will go down to the classic €46 tax

And there was I thinking you were a BMW fan!

E92 wrote: »
    And there was I thinking you were a BMW fan!

I'm not! I've said it many times: I like many different cars. I've happily owned large V8 BMW petrols for the last 7 years, but I can surely see myself owning other cars :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 guy_borg

Hey,

Does anyone know if you have to pay VAT as well as excise duty on importing a second hand car from Japan.

Any advise would be fantastic, can't get any info from tax office or revenue, just keep getting bounced from one department in Shannon to here then there..... etc

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭HJL

Hi guys, new to boards.ie.
    This new tax thing has me slightly confused in one area. So if someone can confirm this would be good.:

I know that for example the likes of my current car remains the same, albeit increasing by 9%. And I understand that any new cars bought after 01/07/2008 will be done by emissions. All fine so far.

But am I reading this properly, that any older car registered in this country for the first time after 01/07/2008 will be subject to the new emissions tax system?? Because i hardly think this is fair considering that they are, in most cases of lesser value and made in a time when regulations were different.

Say for example if i want to buy a VW Corrado from the UK in Sept '08, because they are i believe around 199 CO2's am I expected to pay a higher VRT than before and also an insanely high annual tax? Baring in mind that the cars value could maybe be as low as two years road tax???

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

HJL,

To the best of my knowledge, any car imported & registered in this country (regardless of age) after the 1st July will be subject to the new VRT & Road Tax regime.

guy_borg wrote: »
    Does anyone know if you have to pay VAT as well as excise duty on importing a second hand car from Japan.

Feel free to start a new thread on that. You'll get more people reading it than here

HJL wrote: »
    if i want to buy a VW Corrado from the UK in Sept '08, because they are i believe around 199 CO2's am I expected to pay a higher VRT than before and also an insanely high annual tax?

Yes. Unless you can officially prove the CO2 rating, it will attract 36% VRT and an annual motor tax of €2,000

• Registered Users Posts: 22,002 ✭✭✭✭Esel

A simple VRT calculation:

A BMW 320d ES (CO2 131 g/km) lists for €47.800. The current VRT rate is 30%, which means that €14,340 (30% of €47.800) is VRT. The list price excluding VRT is €47.800 minus €14,340 = €33,460
    Think you made a booboo there, unkel.

[Even without factoring VAT and whether it comes before or after VRT etc ]

Let us assume that VRT (@30%) is the only tax applicable for simplicity. It is applied to the base price to give the list price, which is therefore is this is 130% of the base price.

Say List price = €47,800

so the base price is €47,800 / 130 * 100 which is €36, 154 , not €33,460!

As I said, VAT is a factor as well, which you have not allowed for.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭jayok

I think esel is right there...

• Advertisement

esel wrote: »
    Think you made a booboo there, unkel.

esel banned from motors for questioning me and my calculator :p

No booboo I'm afraid. VRT is not applied to base price to give list price as you state. VRT is based on OMSP (Open Market Selling Price), or call it list price if you wish

Confusing, isn't it? :)

But if X (VRT incl. price) = Y*1.3 (i.e. OMSP*1.3)

then Y = X/1.3

You are saying that Y = X*0.7 which is a booboo, I'm afraid. :eek:

Not your ornery onager

But if X (VRT incl. price) = Y*1.3 (i.e. OMSP*1.3)

then Y = X/1.3

You are saying that Y = X*0.7 which is a booboo, I'm afraid. :eek:

No booboo :D

The point is that the OMSP includes VRT

I give up. I do like cake though. Will you do my tax returns next year?

Not your ornery onager

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Is there anyway to petition to have the new car tax regime applied on older cars? E.g. you will have emission figures when you do your bi-annual NCT test- surely as a worst case scenario these, possibly elevated, figures could be used? For anyone who registered a diesel in the last couple of years- they are being shafted by being charged by engine size when their emissions are at almost the level of a petrol half the size. A 2 litre diesel in a Volvo has only 146 grammes/km- which would qualify for Euro 290- where in fact we are currently paying over double that........

I think it would be seriously worth someone's spending some time getting a derogation for use of the new regime on older cars......

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭Dermo123

esel banned from motors for questioning me and my calculator :p

No booboo I'm afraid. VRT is not applied to base price to give list price as you state. VRT is based on OMSP (Open Market Selling Price), or call it list price if you wish

Confusing, isn't it? :)

At the risk of being banned also I must say I agree with esel on this. VRT on a NEW car is based on the manufacturers pre tax price plus VAT.
    VRT on a secondhand import is based on the OMSP as you rightly point out unkel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 616 ✭✭✭BnA

Sorry for being a dumb a55.

Could someone please confirm this for me.

I had planned to import a 2006 2.0 TDI Passat in early January. This is a 2 litre car with CO2's of 153.

If I was to do that, it will cost me €590 a year to tax it every year of it's life.

However, if I wait untill July to import the very same car, if will fall into band C and it will cost €290 per year to tax it for the rest of it's life.

So basically, by waiting untill July to buy the car I will save €300 every year that I own it (as well as saving on VRT of course)

Am I right here ?

I give up. I do like cake though. Will you do my tax returns next year?

I consider it my duty to empower you to do your own sums :)
    Dermo123 wrote: »
    At the risk of being banned

Banned! :p (you do realise I was joking?)
    Dermo123 wrote: »
    VRT on a NEW car is based on the manufacturers pre tax price plus VAT.
    VRT on a secondhand import is based on the OMSP as you rightly point out unkel.

Why would VRT on a second hand import be different from a new car. Doesn't make sense. Think about it!

BnA wrote: »
    So basically, by waiting untill July to buy the car I will save €300 every year that I own it (as well as saving on VRT of course)

Am I right here ?

You are 100% right! You'll save yourself a lot of money by waiting until July. BTW VRT will only be 20% by then and not 30% as it is now. Let's say the OMSP of the 2 year old Passat is €20k. You'll save yourself another €2,000 upon importing it so (30% of €20k minus 20% of €20k)

A dark cloud for performance cars with a wee silver lining for modern diesels...

Damn. That'll be me sig

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭gary the great

I was planning on bringing a 2000 - 2001 toyota Celica in from the UK in January. If i wait till July, i can get a 2001 in without paying Vrt and probably less tax?

Although that would be great, it means I have to wait till july to get myself a new motor!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement