Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baked anything tasty lately?

• 17-04-2016 11:31am
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,677 Mod ✭✭✭✭

In the spirit of "What did you have for Breakfast/Lunch/Dinner" threads from Cooking & Recipes, did you bake anything tasty lately?

[The usual rules for these threads in C&R is no picture quoting and no pimping of your blog]

To start I'll offer up last night's loaf of bread. Basic white bread with a bit of horlicks and wheatgerm. Usually baked in a loaf tin but last night in a casserole dish to change things up. It's even harder to try to slice up :(

CgL8rpoW4AAhUxf.jpgCgPEgNeXIAACQW5.jpg

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,677 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

CgErpwZXEAAtCjC.jpg

And something sweet (that's not actually baked, whoops).

Brioche doughnuts, fried at 175ºC, sprinkled in a blend of horlicks and caster sugar. I also provided dark chocolate ganache for dipping.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Great idea for a thread :)
    Your bread and doughnuts look amazing.

I made lemon slices on Friday.

xnwwsh.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,175 ✭✭✭dee_mc

No pics (and they're not the most photogenic anyway, to be fair!) but I've just made a batch of fruit and egg mini muffins for relatively healthy snacks over the next few days. They're very easy and quick to make, just eggs, bananas, raspberries and vanilla extract. Tasty too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭tampopo

First of the year with the rhubarb crumble,

WP_20160415_17_15_27_Pro_zpsusehtfik.jpg

From a local community garden, thick stalks cut large. I forgot to stew them so they were crunchy, though well cooked!
    For a change, I didn't measure the ingredients, just throwing together some flour, sugar, margarine and some jumbo oats.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Zelda247

Tree wrote: »
    In the spirit of "What did you have for Breakfast/Lunch/Dinner" threads from Cooking & Recipes, did you bake anything tasty lately?

[The usual rules for these threads in C&R is no picture quoting and no pimping of your blog]

To start I'll offer up last night's loaf of bread. Basic white bread with a bit of horlicks and wheatgerm. Usually baked in a loaf tin but last night in a casserole dish to change things up. It's even harder to try to slice up :(

Horlicks?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,677 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

Yep! It's got a lovely maltiness, and the milk helps the loaf to keep longer than 24hours. I'd highly recommend it.

Tree wrote: »
    Yep! It's got a lovely maltiness, and the milk helps the loaf to keep longer than 24hours. I'd highly recommend it.

Very interesting, I love Horlicks, do you think I could add it to Brown Bread?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭tampopo

More rhubarb. This time from mein very own garden.

I had wanted to make this,
    http://www.farmfreshtoyou.com/recipes/index/view/?id=3465

but in a hurry as the oven was already on with a sausage meat quiche. Laptop was off. Crap. Tried my phone, but can't see comments at the end of a FB album. Oh well, improvise.

I chopped up the rhubarb into small pieces. And mashed a banana and mixed both. Rolled out the pastry and filled with the mix. Then I had a pear leftover from my Mon-Fri brekkie schedule and fanned it around the top. Oh yeah, with added cardamom seeds chopped fine. As fine as I could get them.

Worked a treat.

WP_20160422_21_24_58_Pro_zpsatxjh5x0.jpg

with quiche to the right...

looking for a name now, for my invention! ;)

Zelda247 wrote: »
    Very interesting, I love Horlicks, do you think I could add it to Brown Bread?
    Absolutely, for a soda bread, I wouldn't add too much unless you like the bread to be sweet. Add a couple of spoons with the flour.

For brown yeast bread, swap out any sugar you usually use for the horlicks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 MusicalMegami

Wow an inspiration thread love it! Got ideas for the next week or so ;)

I cant post pics its seems, but made some burger buns yesterday came out delicious only slightly tweaked a recipe from annies eats but definitly best recipe i've tried by far, and i actually had seed to make em look all proper :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 MusicalMegami

Tree that bread looks amazing! I've had no success with a good loaf but the crumb on yours looking real good, and those slices dont even look like you struggled you should see mines, i need to invest in a bread knife..asap lol

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

Wohoo, love these threads. Had the inlaws over for lunch so made gf brown bread, banana bread and carrot cake

Tree that bread looks amazing! I've had no success with a good loaf but the crumb on yours looking real good, and those slices dont even look like you struggled you should see mines, i need to invest in a bread knife..asap lol
    The first slice or two always comes out ok, the rest of the loaf is an uneven disaster :) Settled on a wet dough after years of optimisation, looking at nearly 90% hydration some weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Raspberry sponge at the weekend

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I baked my first sourdough loaf :)
    It's cooling now and I'm hoping it tastes as good as it should after three days' preparation.

2v13koi.jpg

I baked my first sourdough loaf :)
    It's cooling now and I'm hoping it tastes as good as it should after three days' preparation.

OMG it looks perfect, I hope it tastes as good as it looks, the shape is amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,244 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Making me sooo hungry! I haven't baked in ages, really have to get back into it again.

Some almond slices I made this morning. I had no apricot jam, but I found a jar of gooseberry jam I made last summer and it's actually a nice alternative :)

algh02.jpg

Chca1FnWgAAsafp.jpg
    Chcaz8HXEAAD_oM.jpg
    Leftover pizza dough, baked last night.

Sliced and buttered, covered in black pudding.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Ooh bake that for my birthday wouldya!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Jaysus Dizzy, I really want one of those almond slices now.
    They look epic.

I made a cream sponge for Mr. Dizzy's birthday yesterday but forgot to take a photo before it was cut. This is all that remains.

2m61vrm.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭northgirl

I made a cream sponge for Mr. Dizzy's birthday yesterday but forgot to take a photo before it was cut. This is all that remains.

Looks delicious... my favourite cake.. and I'm starving at work :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

Not sure it counts as baking but tried making granola this afternoon. I'm a coeliac and I'm so tired of the high prices for so called gluten free muesli or granola that taste like plastic or cardboard! Have only tasted a little but really looking forward to a bowl in the morning

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭caille

I made oat and cheese scones, no pics, not bad at all, and from leftovers!

I had a load of oat flakes left over from a bag of museli (nuts and dried fruit had got eaten out of it) and two blocks of cheddar cheese frozen in the freezer.

I milled the oat flakes and made oat flour and defrosted the cheese and chopped up very finely. I mixed a cup of flour to a cup of chopped up cheese in a bowl and added a bit of salt, black pepper and some milk and made about four scones from this alone.

I ended up with 12 scones in total from using all the milled flour and cheese.

I baked Faith's sweet scones from the Cooking Club last night. They're the nicest scones I've ever made :)

11s2wxe.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,175 ✭✭✭dee_mc

They look amazing Dizzy, just like the ones my mam used to make, except she would lash on the egg glaze so tehy were super shiny! I'd kill for one of those with a good smear of butter now!

We ate a load of them last night with butter, jam and cream :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,244 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

I baked Faith's sweet scones from the Cooking Club last night. They're the nicest scones I've ever made :)

That recipe is amazing!! I gave it to my mum and she uses it all the time now to make scones for my dad, cos he loves a nice scone! She has the freezer full of them :pac:

• Advertisement

CikWiAuWgAApIsX.jpg

Lemon poppy seed muffins.
    In this instance, split and toasted, topped with homemade lemon curd.

The muffins ended up less tender than I had hoped, but i've certainly had tougher muffins elsewhere...

Advertisement