Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Atlantic Storm Watch 2014: February/March

• 04-02-2014 12:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 14,324 ✭✭✭✭

The weather crew have been tracking a rapidly intensifying low that is expected to track northeast across Ireland Tuesday night. By late afternoon this will be near or just southwest of Valentia at 947 mb, and winds from the southeast to south could gust over 120 km/hr near the south coast and in exposed locations inland. In early stages of the storm, heavy rain and southeast to east gales will spread over most regions (30 mm rains could bring rapid onset of flooding; strong winds and high tides could combine to produce another round of coastal flooding).

By later Tuesday evening, with the centre near Shannon, very strong winds will rapidly spread north up the east coast affecting Wicklow and Dublin.

Although some areas will see slack winds for a time Tuesday night, a later phase of the storm will involve moderate to strong westerly winds in most regions.

Although I have started this discussion with a level 2 title, it would not be out of place to mention level 3 concern for coastal flooding and even some isolated wind gusts over 130 km/hr. I am fairly confident that the offshore Kinsale energy platform will record gusts near 90-100 knots and some of the more exposed south coast stations could see 70-80 knots, if brief in duration, due to the forward speed and strong gradient of this storm.

I wanted to start a new thread partly to have editing capability during the late overnight when it may be more possible to assess the exact details of this dangerous storm.

We are of course also concerned about potential for Saturday's deep low.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Steopo

Did MT just say potentially 100knt gust @ Kinsale Energy just 50km off the South coast, that would be 185km/h, surely not.

I know we're all focusing on our own patch but it does look like South West UK & Northern France are going to take an even bigger hammering than us on Wed morning - strongest winds, largest sea swell,heavy rain & high tides all combining at the same time. So expect to see lots of Sky New reports standing in 3ft of water

8eSJ7n.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭Cogsy88

Somerset is still flooded since the last round of storms. Looks like der gona take a hit from this one aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Where is Saturdays storm looking likely to hit ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Looks like a double cloud head.

ohHW7Yj.png

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭flynnlives

Is this a potential Hurricane event?

62895_640891672636234_1720652420_n.png

http://www.opc.ncep.noaa.gov/Atl_tab.shtml

947mb!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

Looks like a double cloud head.

ohHW7Yj.png

Nearly looks like the eye of a hurricane to me.

flynnlives wrote: »
    Is this a potential Hurricane event?

It just means Force 12 (hurricane force) winds at sea. It's not at all unusual with Atlantic lows like this, and those winds won't reach Irish coasts.
    Nearly looks like the eye of a hurricane to me.

The darkest area is a patch of dry air. Something you often see with deepening depressions.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,324 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Yep, those dark circles often appear between 30W and 10W on Atlantic lows, something I've been researching because I have the hunch they are connected to geomagnetic field variables. They are features on infra-red rather than visible images where you would see more low-level cloud disguising the features.

When I said 90-100 knots at the Kinsale platform, this translates to 80 knots at the surface. We'll see what the extreme gust readings are, soon enough. The modelling may show the winds and waves heading to Cornwall and Brittany but the storm makes a fairly steady northeast turn while deepening, so take it seriously if you're anywhere near the south coast and for the Irish Sea, all that excess water has to go somewhere, there again, expect some very large swells and waves.

By the time the 00z models come in, there will only be a few hours of preparation time but we may have a new perspective on this storm by morning. Of course I'll be around all night, it is only supper time here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭dacogawa

Thanks for the update MT, very much appreciated. Was about to 'hit the sack' but your warning made me 'hit the charts' :eek: it really has picked up, it looks like the south & east coasts are going to get a hammering from this & I'd passed it as I was waiting for Friday night/Saturday morning.

From my perspective the coast of Wexford & all along the Irish sea coast are going to hit a lot worse than we have been hit so far this winter ? would love a bit of your insight on this.

Going to go batten down the hatches now...

Not sure if what I'm about to say makes sense but anyway. :P On BBC there it showed yesterday's low being pushed out north/west as tonight's low moves in. What'll happen to that old system? Will it just fizzle out? Or could it come back with more rain in a few days?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

Met Éireann has warned that another Atlantic storm depression is heading for Ireland today.

It has issued a status orange wind warning for Dublin, Louth, Wexford, Wicklow, Meath, Cork, Kerry and Waterford, with gusts of up to 115km/h forecast.

Flooding can be expected along eastern and southern coasts.
    A yellow wind warning has been issued for the rest of the country, with gusts of up to 100km/h expected and river flooding likely.
    The warnings are valid from 3pm this afternoon until 9am tomorrow..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

What month is this again !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,508 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

What month is this again !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last month of winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,324 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Once again, I have drawn up a map indicating expected alert levels for tonight's approaching storm.

292221.jpg

The south coast will see wind gusts to 130 km/hr and a solid level 2 to borderline level 3 for winds, but more of a potential level 3 for local flooding at the evening high tides. Some heavy rainfalls will add to this flood potential around Cork and Waterford.

The inland south and east coast will be mostly in a level 2 wind and rainfall situation as well as (for the east coast and some parts of the west coast) a level 2 status for coastal flooding although this could increase to level 3 in a few locations, your local flood authorities will of course be your best guide on this, but would be on high alert near the Wicklow and Dublin-Meath coasts at the overnight high tides.

Most of the central to northern regions will barely make it into level 1 wind speeds, with part of that risk coming in a second phase of the storm later on Wednesday, but rainfalls could be a solid level 1 to isolated level 2 here.

Marine areas off the south coast could see force 12 (hurricane) conditions by late afternoon and evening, with force 9-10 likely spreading into the Irish Sea. Western marine areas will actually be at their worst early in the event and will see a reduction in winds towards evening if the low tracks as expected into west Munster and northeastward. I am speculating that the offshore Kinsale energy platform could record gusts in excess of 85 knots around 6 p.m. to midnight, perhaps even into the 90s. This would signal coastal gusts of about 70-80 knots at locations such as Sherkin Island, Roches Point and 50-60 knots at some inland stations but 60-70 knots at more exposed inland locations, and be alert for 80-100 knot gusts on summits of most mountains in Ireland with the higher values likely in the southeast. Anyone venturing above 500m today without a high level of protection should confine their excursions to the hours before 1 p.m. when very strong winds can be expected to begin over exposed areas.

Some thunderstorms may be embedded in the large area of moderate to heavy rain moving inland during the afternoon and early evening, most likely to see lightning would be the southeastern counties and also around Donegal Bay.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

Mods: I did not automatically follow this thread, as had been happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,010 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

Red Nissan wrote: »
    Mods: I did not automatically follow this thread, as had been happening.

It's a new thread

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,699 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Cloud from this storm system now flirting with SW coast. http://www.sat24.com/?ir=true

Hard to believe what's in store, maybe in 12 hours time, as it's calm, clear and frosty here this morning (0.5c atm).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,010 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Cloud from this storm system now flirting with SW coast. http://www.sat24.com/?ir=true

Hard to believe what's in store, maybe in 12 hours time, as it's calm, clear and frosty here this morning (0.5c atm).

Aye, lovely walk to work up by Dublin Port

Not looking forward to the walk back this evening !

To Sat24 with me !

The latest sea area forecast has gale force 8-9 winds for Irish coasts, so I don't think we are looking at a severe wind event here since storm force winds aren't even in the forecast for coasts. It looks to me like maximum winds will be similar to yesterday morning with a chance of being a little higher at times, though the Met Eireann warning is for gusts to 115 km/h which would be slightly lower than Monday. The period of strong winds will last for a longer duration than on Monday though.

The strongest winds will be on the southern flank of the low, but those strong winds will be staying well offshore to our south. Usually these lows take a more northerly track and that core of strong winds would be heading for the west/northwest coast.

Like Monday, the main feature of this will be the risk of coastal flooding on south and east coasts. That flooding could be similar to yesterday morning, perhaps a bit worse or a bit less severe, depending on how things go.

14020421_2_0400.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Tazio

Screenshot taken from the website:
    http://earth.nullschool.net/#current/wind/isobaric/1000hPa/orthographic=-13.00,53.01,2154

I'm my very amateur mind that's a nice looking shape...

292233.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭red_bairn

Aye, lovely walk to work up by Dublin Port

Not looking forward to the walk back this evening !

To Sat24 with me !

Just got in to Fleet St. You wouldn't think that it was gonna be awful later. It feels like a crisp "spring" morning. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭simply simple

red_bairn wrote: »
    Just got in to Fleet St. You wouldn't think that it was gonna be awful later. It feels like a crisp "spring" morning. :D

thats what I got from my 5 years old. look mummy ,its spring yay....:):rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

so what time will it hit the midlands??

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

I think we will see a period of very strong winds into the Dublin area around 9pm, gusting to 55/60kt, however low tide is that time so coastal flooding won't be an issue here.

Another phase of high winds is then expected from around 4am-10am and i think high tide is due at 4am, at this stage though gusts here just 45-50kt.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭red_bairn

thats what I got from my 5 years old. look mummy ,its spring yay....:):rolleyes:

Oh hi mum! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭barney 20v

From what i've been reading both here and on other pages this is going to have a big impact on Wexford Town and county, its so unusual to have strong s/e winds like those forcast.
    Is this storm likely to see Wexford town and even New Ross flooded again?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭Lando Griffin

Heading away tonight from Cork, if I leave the recycling bin out will the binmen be working Wednesday; its very full.

Rainfall warning added.

SoQBq4x.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

I think we will see a period of very strong winds into the Dublin area around 9pm, gusting to 55/60kt, however low tide is that time so coastal flooding won't be an issue here.

Another phase of high winds is then expected from around 4am-10am and i think high tide is due at 4am, at this stage though gusts here just 45-50kt.

I agree, but I think that exposed coastal locations might get a few 65 knot gusts...

• Advertisement

barney 20v wrote: »
    From what i've been reading both here and on other pages this is going to have a big impact on Wexford Town and county, its so unusual to have strong s/e winds like those forcast.
    Is this storm likely to see Wexford town and even New Ross flooded again?

High tide in New Ross will be about 1ft lower tonight than yesterday morning and the winds will be more southeasterly and less of a straight southerly than yesterday so the tidal surge may not be as bad there. Wexford town might be more likely to flood due to the wind direction. What are the council saying?

Advertisement