Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Met Éireann Website (beta)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,813 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Still gone. Not an issue of the site though more MÉ

It is because there is no mention of it or when it will be working.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,747 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Discodog wrote: »
    It is because there is no mention of it or when it will be working.

ME are never great with updates re the radar outages. If it's out for more than 3 or 4 days, they may post something. I've emailed them in the past asking about radar outage duration but never even got a reply.

https://www.met.ie/limited-rainfall-radar-images
    Shannon Rainfall Radar under service

The Shannon Rainfall Radar is currently under service for the foreseeable future. The Dublin and Belfast Radar are operating as normal.

Digital Communications Unit,

Business Continuity Management Division,

Met reann

Comhra wrote: »

Foreseeable future - sounds promising :eek:

Could it be an FI (Fantasy Island) situation?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭sumtings

Not good, live in Limerick and totally spoilt being so near the Shannon radar, missing it already. It was drizzling fairly heavy today and wasn't showing from Dublin.

If it needed work it would of been sensible to do it when we had a month of settled weather. It seems to go down every year. Maybe better to invest money in important things like the radar rather than the website.

I recall there being a major refurbish of the Shannon radar about 3-4 years ago. It was down for a couple of weeks and I was under the impression it was then good for purpose for many years to come, but maybe not?

I'm thinking the wonderful new ME website has used up all their budget. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭RoisinD

Comhra wrote: »
    I recall there being a major refurbish of the Shannon radar about 3-4 years ago. It was down for a couple of weeks and I was under the impression it was then good for purpose for many years to come, but maybe not?

I'm thinking the wonderful new ME website has used up all their budget. ;)
    Yes it had a major refurb. Prior to that it was so unreliable. Wish they would explain 'forseeable future'

"forseeable future" = FUBAR
    In other words: it has failed so badly they don't know how long it will take to get fixed!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

The lack of reliable rainfall radar really is the last blow.

I'm not as down on the site as some others here as it works for me most of the time, however as far as I'm concerned The Rainfall Radar Is The Met.ie Forecast. No rain radar and I'm not coming back as often as the site is useless to me. I do live in one of those outlying areas that needs both radars working to give me an idea of what weather is to come.

Is it back up working? It has the outline and there is rain showing further south in munster.

dolanbaker wrote: »
    "forseeable future" = FUBAR
    In other words: it has failed so badly they don't know how long it will take to get fixed!
    Looks like the spare part arrived quicker than expected, good to see it back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

sumtings wrote: »
    Is it back up working? It has the outline and there is rain showing further south in munster.

Looks like it.

I can step outside again :D

my3cents wrote: »
    Looks like it.

I can step outside again :D

I know of two people today who got soaked as they didn't know the radar was down. It is a great service.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,042 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Location defaults to Dublin on the android app.
    I keep on having to manually select my location when I open the app.

Very annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,758 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Does anyone know of a feedback address that we could send our comments to?

Or would ME know if users are always reverting to the old site and put 2+2 together? (I gave up using the new site a long time ago)

It's such a shambles, I'd love to make my opinion heard, for all the good it might do.

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Does anyone know of a feedback address that we could send our comments to?

Or would ME know if users are always reverting to the old site and put 2+2 together? (I gave up using the new site a long time ago)

It's such a shambles, I'd love to make my opinion heard, for all the good it might do.

https://www.met.ie/about-us/contact-us

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

SATURDAY: Lingering heavy overnight rain in the south and parts of the east at first. Latest indications are for rain to clear with good sunny spells to develop across most areas. Highest temperatures of 15 to 19 degrees Celsius in mostly light breezes.

Leinster (New Ross as location) forecast as of 6 AM this morning

2L1qS.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,777 ✭✭✭Joe Public

2L1qS.jpg

The sooner they realise that weather for dummies does not add up the better. It's no accident that mother nature is female and thus can not be pigeon holed.

• Advertisement

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Harry Palmr View Post

2L1qS.jpg
    Joe Public wrote: »
    The sooner they realise that weather for dummies does not add up the better. It's no accident that mother nature is female and thus can not be pigeon holed.

So it's going to rain all day Saturday in New Ross except for one dry hour from 0400 to 0500 hrs?

Is this website still beta?

The image above reminded me to highlight this nonsense - hourly through the night then massive spacing during waking hours! Why is the illustration of weather prediction proving so hard for met.ie?

2Ln8L.jpg

Is this website still beta?

The image above reminded me to highlight this nonsense - hourly through the night then massive spacing during waking hours! Why is the illustration of weather prediction proving so hard for met.ie?

2Ln8L.jpg

Isn't it just that so many hours into the future it only has a few slots a day, every 6 hours but up to that point hourly.

I'll I know is that if the rainfall predictor said a narrow front would cross between breakfast and lunch or mid afternoon and dinner you'd never know it on that graphic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Personally I think it’s pretty well laid out. Lots of the complaints here are pretty spurious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

Is anyone else having issues with www.met.ie on Chrome on Android? I have tried two different devices and the page takes forever to load. It seems to be related to the rainfall radar map and the various snapshot images it tries to render.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Working ok for me although it has asked for my location more than once.

Personally I think it’s pretty well laid out. Lots of the complaints here are pretty spurious.

Still think the pressure charts look awful. Why map the isobar lines on to a map with a network of roads shown? Hard to make out the lines. A blank landmass would be ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

Working ok for me although it has asked for my location more than once.

Thanks. It's working fine now for me also. Nothing changed on my end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,758 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I've given up on it entirely. Can't find the rainfall radar screen anywhere on phone or laptop, only a rainfall forecast screen - and even when I could, the colours were so bland as to be borderline useless. I'm sick of trying to navigate my way around the site, it's not in the slightest intuitive. I default to the archive site for as long as it lasts.

I emailed Met Eireann with my comments, and have heard not a dickybird back from them (which is surprising and disappointing, as when I happened upon a glaring error in a sea area forecast a few years ago and emailed them about it, the forecaster on duty was straight back to me in jig time, I was most impressed).

Advertisement