Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Atlantic Storm Watch: December 2013

Options
  • 11-12-2013 4:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭

A substantial upgrade on this mornings 06z in terms of tightening of isobars off the West coast merits a level 2 warning in my opinion.

284195.png

Whats giving rise to this stormy spell is the low pressure making its way East across the atlantic is getting squashed by the strong high pressure over europe .

Winds will start picking up in the Kerry, Clare regions from sunrise saturday morning and increase right up to midday as the low centre move NNE .

Winds of up to 95kph and severe Gusts of 125 , perhaps 130kmh are possible on exposed coast in the west , Galway possibly taking the brunt of this storm.

[IMG][/img]284196.png

The severe gusts then will be more concentrated in the NW but still high winds country wide with gusts to 95kmh .

Due to the Northerly component of these winds , western areas might not get anything out of the norm for them but still something to watch for. High winds in areas of the wicklow mountains would be noticeable in S Dublin especially .
    284197.png

PIty i will be working all day saturday and wont get to be out to enjoy it :(

All eyes on the 12z to see if it keeps things in line with the 6z.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭pad199207

This can feck off altogether ive a party on Sat!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

NOT RELATED TO THIS STORM

But look at what the GFs has popped up near us for next week?! :eek:

284198.png
    956 hp i make that out as?:confused::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Do i not put the outdoor xmas decorations up this weekend then?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭Bsal

Iancar29 wrote: »

284198.png

Looks more like 936hPa at the centre, I count 10 isobars from 976 to the centre.

Bsal wrote: »
    Looks more like 936hPa at the centre, I count 10 isobars from 976 to the centre.

Sorry i double checked it on fullscreen , yeah 10!
    Faint2.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Sorry i double checked it on fullscreen , yeah 10!
    Faint2.gif

Ten is good ? As in extra stormy?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

GFS 12z interesting. Low doesn't deepen as quickly and pushes closer to Ireland. Isobars even more tightly packed over Ireland.

Widespread gusts to 120 km/hr possible almost anywhere on this run, coastal counties at risk of greater gusts.

Another deep deep feature rapidly intensifies behind Saturday's system but does so so fast that it heads to our north-west. However the positioning and/or intensity of this is very much open to big changes.

This one bombs from a little kink in the 1000hPa Isobar to a 950hPa storm in 24 hours.

gfs-0-96.png?12?12

GFS 12z interesting. Low doesn't deepen as quickly and pushes closer to Ireland. Isobars even more tightly packed over Ireland.

Widespread gusts to 120 km/hr possible almost anywhere on this run, coastal counties at risk of greater gusts.

Yep , has lessened the isolate severe gusts but spreads out the overall high gusts to all of us . Expect ferry cancellations is this is to come off.
    284201.png

• Registered Users Posts: 14,325 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

High tide (minor storm surge) issues will be in play with full moon timed for 09z Tuesday 17th. Agreed that Saturday presents a level 2 potential although in a region pretty much used to level 2 conditions, on current model output would be level one for almost all readers. The Tuesday event is the result of the slowly-developing central to east coast U.S. storm which is likely to emerge from New England around Sunday morning then race northeast while steadily deepening. I think the Tuesday event bears watching as it occurs with a very strong energy peak.

• Advertisement

ECMWF has Sunday's intense storm out to north-west.

Although a much watch.

ECMWF:

ECM1-96.GIF?11-0

GFS Ensembles are very interesting. Lots of dangerous storms in and around Ireland.

Few scary Ensembles, this one gets the tick for looking the scariest.

gens-3-1-96.png?12

It would be pretty scary seeing this one in our southwest approaches too....

gens-8-1-90.png?12

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

284198.png

It's 943mb on the GFS at that point (153 hours). It bottoms out at 938mb (162 hours). No danger to us though a secondary low might be.

The other low at 96 hours gets down to 944mb too, but that too is a different low again to the one this thread is about.

A very active period of weather coming up for sure, though the more serious looking stuff looks to be staying clear of us on the models for the moment.

pad199207 wrote: »
    This can feck off altogether ive a party on Sat!

Me too. Usually love the stormy weather but I don't want things to have to move inside!

Hmmm 18z GfS just rolling out now , seems to have developed the low for saturday 6hrs earlier and still gives some quite strong winds for us all but nothing really severe.

A very dynamic situation by looking at the surface pressure charts ... as always , another run is needed to see a trend.

Sunday's system a little bit closer to the northwest coast.

Rtavn901.png

Hmmm, i cant see that going any further S than that with the high acting as a big wall . But certainly possible to effect donegal and surrounding areas. May have to rename the tread tomorrow . THAT one would be smashing into scotland with some more 100 mph gusts easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭gugsy

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Tis feckin windy tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Fiskar

• Registered Users Posts: 6,876 ✭✭✭pauldry

there is a lot of strong wind events suddenly popping their heads into the mix, maybe all gone by tomorrow or at least too far out to sea.

I fear the High over Europe hears about this and gets peeved and brings back the milder drab to replace the wind.

However it is exciting at present.

Incidentally GFS has crazy cold for Christmas day (getting into festive spirit or else they are having Christmas party and just throwing a chart out there to cheer us up)

DAILY EXPRESS - 150kph Gales to batter Britain folllowed by Christmas Blizzards.

Not yet but soon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭dopolahpec

pauldry wrote: »
    there is a lot of strong wind events suddenly popping their heads into the mix, maybe all gone by tomorrow or at least too far out to sea.

I fear the High over Europe hears about this and gets peeved and brings back the milder drab to replace the wind.

However it is exciting at present.

Incidentally GFS has crazy cold for Christmas day (getting into festive spirit or else they are having Christmas party and just throwing a chart out there to cheer us up)

DAILY EXPRESS - 150kph Gales to batter Britain folllowed by Christmas Blizzards.

Not yet but soon

I just saw the ECM. The amount of nasty lows spawning in our vicinity is unreal. 168 hours is a direct hit as the jet tracks further and further south. The probability of something nasty or multiples of something nasty giving us a battering before Christmas is increasing

• Registered Users Posts: 5,872 ✭✭✭Storm 10

How come there is not a mention of these winds in Met E forecast on radio this morning.

Storm 10 wrote: »
    How come there is not a mention of these winds in Met E forecast on radio this morning.

Too much variability in the forecast output no doubt. The weekend does not really promise to yield anything like widespread damaging gusts apart from the exposed coasts which have adapted to handling such wind. Next weeks possible storms are outside the reliable time-frame for professional forecasting.

The UK Met Office have issued a yellow wind warning for Northern Ireland on Saturday

• Registered Users Posts: 32,976 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Hopefully it'll not be too bad this weekend.

Our local Xmas tree in the town centre snapped in half last week in the storm and has just been replaced. Would be cruel for it to happen a 2nd time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

Storm 10 wrote: »

Two things, ME seem to be on a different agenda lately and it hadn't been posted here in time! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭CerebralCortex

NIMAN wrote: »
    Hopefully it'll not be too bad this weekend.

Our local Xmas tree in the town centre snapped in half last week in the storm and has just been replaced. Would be cruel for it to happen a 2nd time.

Only for those who like Christmas! I love when things like that happen! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Saturday looking windy on the latest GFS. ~130km/h gusts possible on the west coast. ~110km/h gusts possible inland and on the east coast.

13121406_1206.gif
    13121409_1206.gif

Need to keep an eye on the other lows in the following days though, as that could be more severe if one of them tracked close to us.

Thankfully Sunday's low is staying well to our northwest.

13121512_1206.gif

90 mph (145 km/h) sustained winds there.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement