Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GoMo to end €9.99 per month for life offer [Now €12.99]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Luke2513

Moved myself, my partner and 2 parents over. Not one issue with porting (2 from eir, 1 from Vodafone and 1 from Three) or signal thankfully and saving over €60 a month between us!

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Frank_1969

I moved from eir to GoMo without any issues whatsoever.

Same here...I have two GoMo sims..One in my phone and another I use at home as a hotspot for streaming YouTube, Netflix etc.. Very pleased with the service... Speeds vary from mid teens to high thirties depending on the time of day.
    Great value for money to be fair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭Kenjataimu

kceire wrote: »
    I have a legacy meteor family and friends plan.
    Unlimited. €25 per month. It’s still honoured to this day through all the changes to eir.

I wonder how many here still have that o2 Golden sim from years ago. :)

Free calls & texts to o2 and still works with Three.
    Only have to use a small bit of credit every 6 months (I think) to keep it active.
    Still have mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Frank_1969 wrote: »
    Same here...I have two GoMo sims..One in my phone and another I use at home as a hotspot for streaming YouTube, Netflix etc.. Very pleased with the service... Speeds vary from mid teens to high thirties depending on the time of day.
    Great value for money to be fair.

is it fast enough for netflix and the like?

what happens if more & more people use it for home broadband...will they get more strict about the data usage?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭tea and coffee

When it says "2 Sims per account" do I need one account for each person ( why woukd they need 2 sims?!) or can I get 2 Sims on one account and give one each to two separate family members?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,357 ✭✭✭✭kippy

fryup wrote: »

what happens if more & more people use it for home broadband...will they get more strict about the data usage?

There is a cap of 80gb per month.

I cancelled my landline broadband with Vodafone which had a maximum download speed of 18mbps at my address..Was paying €45 per month for this..
    Also switched my mobile from Vodafone PAYG which was €20 per month for unlimited calls and texts with 15gb of data..
    I'm now paying €20 for the two GoMo sims and have more data than I need with faster speeds.
    It works great for me on YouTube Netflix etc,even with uhd 4k content..

• Registered Users Posts: 28,576 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

When it says "2 Sims per account" do I need one account for each person ( why woukd they need 2 sims?!) or can I get 2 Sims on one account and give one each to two separate family members?

You can give one to another person. Me I have myself and my little lad on my account.

Saving a tenner per month on his, and 50 per month on mine for a lot more included than we were getting previously.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

I was Eir previous and had a great PAYG plan that I used to top up 20 every 28 day's but since Go Mo and Eir are the same I'm getting it at half that now, and 4 times the data at exactly same speeds etc, it's a no brainer for me as I tend to buy sim free when I upgrade phones...

Frank_1969 wrote: »
    I'm now paying €20 for the two GoMo sims and have more data than I need with faster speeds.
    It works great for me on YouTube Netflix etc,even with uhd 4k content..

i'm not tech savvy....but how much data would say a one hour programme on netflix use up?

btw - what would be the best router to use GoMo for home broadband?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭ Zoey Strong Troop

Have ported 3 people including myself from Eir to Gomo, no issues at all, very happy. Exact same infrastructure, just more data and cheaper.

i'm not tech savvy....but how much data would say a one hour programme on netflix use up?

btw - what would be the best router to use GoMo for home broadband?

Netflix automatically adjusts the picture resolution to match whatever download speed you are receiving,.They recommend 10mbps for hd and 25mbps for 4k..A typical movie in hd would use at least 1gb of data.
    GoMo won't shut you off if you exceed the 80gb allowance per month but might reduce the speed for those who repeatedly exceed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭somebody_else

Kenjataimu wrote: »

Only have to use a small bit of credit every 6 months (I think) to keep it active.
    Still have mine.

I've still got mine.
    I never top it up !
    Still works but have no one to call as no one of friends/colleagues is on Three anymore !

Tom

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭cronos

Anyone gone near the 10gb cap while roaming. It's a bit unnerving that there is nowhere you can actually check how much data you have used. They say they will send you a 1 warning text once you have reached the limit. Seems a bit late to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,353 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

Still have mine.

I still have one of those golden sims. That was for life and still works on the same plan :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭tea and coffee

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    You can give one to another person. Me I have myself and my little lad on my account.

Saving a tenner per month on his, and 50 per month on mine for a lot more included than we were getting previously.

Two separate numbers, I assume, then?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭Gooser14

Two separate numbers, I assume, then?

Yes and two times Eur 9.99 per month.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭sector_000

Anybody have experience of using their GoMo sim when roaming on a Huawei handset in Germany or France??

Wife had a lot of problems with that with a different carrier.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭glwaymiko

Still have mine.

Yes we still have 2 in the house from all those years ago..
    But have ordered the gomo sims,... the times are a changing....

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭babelfish1990

It's not.

I was with Eir for the past 5 years and have switched to Gomo for the past 6 weeks. The reception and coverage is worse and the data speeds are much slower.

I'm going back to Eir if they still have the plan I was on.
    There are 2 key network differences between Eir & GoMo. Eir support WiFi calling & 5G and GoMo dont. You may have been using WiFi calling to enhance your indoor coverage while on Eir and lost this when you moved to GoMo? You may not even have realised you were using WiFi calling? It should be fine when you return to Eir.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Still have mine.

Still using a few here. Not as useful anymore if you need data. But you can get a second sim for data only, if you have a dual sim phone.

Value these days even before GoMo is in the 30 day plans.

The 20 all you can eat on three I found demolished the unused credit at spectacular speed and without warning. Was so annoying I never switched to it after trying it.

The GoMo is slower and worse than the other networks I try. If someone came in with a €15 equivalent with better speeds I reckon a lot would switch to that.

cronos wrote: »
    Anyone gone near the 10gb cap while roaming. It's a bit unnerving that there is nowhere you can actually check how much data you have used. They say they will send you a 1 warning text once you have reached the limit. Seems a bit late to me.

esp if your using it in a dongle or router.....there's no way of getting a message...or is there?

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭dermiestv

beauf wrote: »
    Still using a few here. Not as useful anymore if you need data. But you can get a second sim for data only, if you have a dual sim phone.

Same here and hoping the Irish carriers will start supporting eSims for data

• Registered Users Posts: 23,180 ✭✭✭✭ted1

There’s a data counter on most phones

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

ted1 wrote: »
    There’s a data counter on most phones

Never found this to match the operators calculations.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭recyclebin

sector_000 wrote: »
    Anybody have experience of using their GoMo sim when roaming on a Huawei handset in Germany or France??

Wife had a lot of problems with that with a different carrier.

Which phone model? Some phones don't support all the 4g frequencys that operators use.

Is it data problems or call issues?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭grimm2005

You could set a data limit on your phone so it will turn off data when you hit 10GB and set the date range for the period that you're out of the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭IrishStuff09

Have been using a GoMo SIM in my phone since they launched alongside my Vodafone SIM (with my number still on it) to test it, and mainly to see how roaming is.

Safe to say I'll definitely be moving my number to GoMo, had no issues in Italy and Belgium over the weekend and had full 4G and good speeds.

Speedtest taken in Brussels Airport
    5535338844.png

In Italy the network I was automatically registered on was ILIAD which I found had awful coverage and only 3G, but I was able to switch to "TIM" with no problems, and got 4G then.

recyclebin wrote: »
    Which phone model? Some phones don't support all the 4g frequencys that operators use.

Is it data problems or call issues?

BTW this was on 48months.ie
    Wife's Huawei P20 lite - could not get roaming to work in France.
    It certainly couldn't get roaming data... I don't recall about calls or texts.

Daughter's Huawei P10 lite - could not get roaming to work in Germany
    I assume it was data (but may have been everything).

When wife switched to VirginMobile - it worked automagically in Germany & UK. I just want to know if anyone has roamed (& where) on GoMo on Huawei phones (and with what handset models).

Much obliged for any responses. (wife would kill me if I moved her to a "cheapie" network but it didn't work when abroad)

• Advertisement

Have been using a GoMo SIM in my phone since they launched alongside my Vodafone SIM (with my number still on it) to test it, and mainly to see how roaming is.

Safe to say I'll definitely be moving my number to GoMo, had no issues in Italy and Belgium over the weekend and had full 4G and good speeds.

Speedtest taken in Brussels Airport
    5535338844.png

In Italy the network I was automatically registered on was ILIAD which I found had awful coverage and only 3G, but I was able to switch to "TIM" with no problems, and got 4G then.

What make of handset were you using?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement