Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Google Pixel 3a €249 on Vodafone (In Stock!)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Roberto_gas

Enjoy folks...this was bargain of the year tbh...

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Affluenza

Finally received my refunds. I contacted customer care one last time today and they manually issued 2x €179.99 refunds and the €179.99 they took out twice is still there as the payments cleared.

All in all a terrible experience but I did manage to pick up one for €230 and it'll be here Wednesday :) Excited to see if it was worth all the hassle

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭commited

Showing as in stock on mobile site now which is first time in ages. Tempted to give the purchase one last go....

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Weyhey

Interestingly Tesco is no longer on the list of options you can port from....

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Weyhey wrote: »
    Interestingly Tesco is no longer on the list of options you can port from....

Do they check though? If you have a Tesco SIM but select Eir as your network, do you still get the verification text?

Remember, that text is all that's important in order to complete the purchase online, it doesn't matter one iota if the port actually succeeds or not.

• Advertisement

Quackster wrote: »
    Do they check though? If you have a Tesco SIM but select Eir as your network, do you still get the verification text?

Remember, that text is all that's important in order to complete the purchase online, it doesn't matter one iota if the port actually succeeds or not.

Tried that. Tried all the other networks and this time no verification code text (even with pressing resend) to the Tesco number. Other cancelled times Tesco was available and I always got a code.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Pekarirska

Tesco and Lyca both gone from the drop down porting options. Selecting other operators doesn't work for text verification purposes.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,325 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Ordered today, 279 minus 100 for their Cyber Monday offering... Let's see if I get it or not

• Registered Users Posts: 36 bargainboy

received mine thanks op, heads up to anyone else having trouble i had six failed attempts it wasn't until i actually used the eir sim number ie made a few calls and texts that i was successful, it may be coincidence or a necessary part of successful number porting and if the number wont port no phone ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,353 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

bargainboy wrote: »
    received mine thanks op, heads up to anyone else having trouble i had six failed attempts it wasn't until i actually used the eir sim number ie made a few calls and texts that i was successful, it may be coincidence or a necessary part of successful number porting and if the number wont port no phone ?

Probably a coincidence. I used a brand new Eir sim, no calls, no text sent. Got the phone and actually the port failed. They tried it for couple of days and I guess gave up after that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,615 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

Pekarirska wrote: »
    Tesco and Lyca both gone from the drop down porting options. Selecting other operators doesn't work for text verification purposes.

Moving the goalposts!

• Registered Users Posts: 36 bargainboy

Solaris10 all pixel phones seem to have screen uniformity issues to some degree if you swap it out you have a very good chance of receiving a similar or worse replacement for 179 its easier to live with .

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭brodsy

Pekarirska wrote: »

48 worked for Tesco mobile sim

• Registered Users Posts: 5,552 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

For €179, this was definitely the bargain of the year. I need more than 64GB storage, and already have a first gen Pixel or else I would have gone through all the effort to pick one up too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,077 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

Can this still be ordered?

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Highcontrast1

where is everyone getting their cases from? ali? the phone is super slippery :O

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭emy

where is everyone getting their cases from? ali? the phone is super slippery :O
    I got this one:
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32830954458.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.e72d4c4dkUxgdM

• Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

Can this still be ordered?

I hope so. I'm gonna try get a burner SIM later.
    I'll be getting it for my father, who's been with Vodafone for years, and never got an upgrade, so at least this will be a little consolation.
    It's a pity Vodafone don't just give long time customers these discounts!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Coming from the Nokia 7 Plus, battery life ain't great.

brodsy wrote: »
    48 worked for Tesco mobile sim

Thanks, I was convinced I tried that last night but was so tired I am not sure :-). Anyway got porting pin now. Will it be 4th time lucky with a tesco sim, lets see.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,042 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Ush1 wrote: »
    Coming from the Nokia 7 Plus, battery life ain't great.

I had a Nokia 7 Plus and I was expecting this to have much worse battery life given the size of the battery. I actually find its battery life is just as good, if not better than the 7 Plus. Not to mention the 7 Plus had a few updates that really reduced the battery life for a while.

It could be the settings I'm using on the Pixel that is giving me good battery life. I'm on Android 10, have dark mode on, have the always on display turned off and removed location permissions from some apps that really don't need it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭shmeee

I had a Nokia 7 Plus and I was expecting this to have much worse battery life given the size of the battery. I actually find its battery life is just as good, if not better than the 7 Plus. Not to mention the 7 Plus had a few updates that really reduced the battery life for a while.

It could be the settings I'm using on the Pixel that is giving me good battery life. I'm on Android 10, have dark mode on, have the always on display turned off and removed location permissions from some apps that really don't need it.

My battery isn't as good as was with my Xiaomi Redmi Note 7 as of now, I usually have about 25% left at Midnight after a day usage on my Redmi. Now on the Pixel 3a it's down to below 5% by about 11pm.

I need to tweak a few settings and again the last week or 2 also were maybe a bit heavier usage than normal so I'll give it a bit more time yet to maybe improve / balance out. I've the same settings as yourself set too. Going to look at a few more apps running in background and location turned on, on them.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,042 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

shmeee wrote: »
    My battery isn't as good as was with my Xiaomi Redmi Note 7 as of now, I usually have about 25% left at Midnight after a day usage on my Redmi. Now on the Pixel 3a it's down to below 5% by about 11pm.

I need to tweak a few settings and again the last week or 2 also were maybe a bit heavier usage than normal so I'll give it a bit more time yet to maybe improve / balance out. I've the same settings as yourself set too. Going to look at a few more apps running in background and location turned on, on them.

It's only when you open the permissions manager do you realise just how many apps request location access all the time instead of when in use. It's ridiculous.

It's only when you open the permissions manager do you realise just how many apps request location access all the time instead of when in use. It's ridiculous.

Yes, looking at some of them now and turning them onto while using app only.

Turned off a whack of them. Will monitor and see if any difference.

It took a few weeks to get my Redmi set up to optimize battery so hopefully Pixel 3A will be the same.

*PS. Redmi Note 7 is a 4000mAh battery, Pixel 3A is 3000mAh battery so will be some difference there when comparing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,828 ✭✭✭adocholiday

I got the Spigen Rugged Armour case, had the same on my previous phone and it was brilliant, survived many drops!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07MJ7V552/

I got the Spigen Rugged Armour case, had the same on my previous phone and it was brilliant, survived many drops!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07MJ7V552/

Exact same case on my phone, actually smashing to hold.

Can't bait a spigen case! The pure GOAT's.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭GodlikeRed

This is definitely one of bargain alerts all time great bargains.
    Another one I remember was the "Dolce Mini Guston" coffee machine about 5 years ago for €35, still retails at €60+ these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭Ryath

Second one arrived this morning. Some deal I’d nearly be tempted to change my oneplus 5 for it because of the camera. OP5 still works perfectly though and I’ll probably get something with a larger screen when I have to change. One Pixel is for my wife and the other is a Christmas present.

Anyone get a flip case for it? Considering this one. Must be slim don’t want a chunky leather one.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Foluu-Premium-Leather-Kickstand-Magnetic/dp/B07RK787WM

Looking at the ESR screen protector too.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/ESR-Google-Pixel-Tempered-Glass-Force-Resistant/dp/B07P3HTR7B

• Registered Users Posts: 7,077 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

Im going to get this but can I make payment in store as I have a Me2You give voucher that I would like to use.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

I might have spoke too soon as it was the estimated time left I was looking at but since I left it down a while its looking a lot better.

This is the cover I got:

https://ie.mobilefun.com/olixar-flexishield-google-pixel-3a-gel-case-clear-71097

Advertisement