Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

transporting kayak without roof bars

• 14-10-2020 11:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭

hi
    hoping to buy a sit on top shortly , have no roof bars on car, and trying to avoid the extra expense in the short term , i see videos of people using pool noodles and ratchet straps, or someone i know has mentioned using a yoga mat either ,

do either of these methods work relatively well, im only 15 minutes from the lake on quiet roads so il work that, but to get it from the supplier is an hour drive on busy roads and i dont want it to be moving around or slipping

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

Depends on how heavy it is. Mine weighs 36kgs and wouldn't fancy it bouncing around directly on my roof.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,380 ✭✭✭✭listermint

How short ?

For no more than 60 you'd get brand new universal ones from the likes of micksgarage.

You may even find OEM car specific ones on adverts or eBay for little money.

There are options I wouldn't dent the roof with a pool noodle.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭sharingan

also consider the insurance / liability issues of not securing the kayak properly (if it comes loose are you covered?)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,905 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Honestly a kayak is too heavy to sit directly on a car roof even if you have foam padding or a yoga mat.

I have seen people put them on a car roof with those cheapo surfboard type strap/foam combos and the roof was damaged afterwards.
    Look for some second hand racks on adverts or donedeal. They can generally be made to fit with a foot kit if necessary.
    Securing a kayak to a roof is much safer with a rack because it is secured to a rigid structure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭woody1

fair enough, this is why i asked the question

roof bars ordered

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Greaney

I've been using an inflatable roof rack for x4 years. Not ideal, but I just couldn't source a roof rack for my model of car for years!! I carry.... wait for it, x2 kayaks on that 'rack'. The inflatable rack hasn't punctured & is still going :confused: No one's more stunned than me regarding that.

Just so you know, our car isn't great & we never really liked it and.... you get the idea.

I can't wait to get a real rack, when we buy a car that's able to take one, later this year hopefully. I'll feel a lot better about carrying my kayaks on it. Inflatable roof racks etc. involve running the straps into the car. Not great for the rubber seals, and indeed, on a particularly wet day two years ago, I knew all about that:o

Advertisement