Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

General Elections. The Constituency of Tipperary

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭History Queen

Water John wrote: »
    Well it's better to be used for pumped hydro rather than as a national dump, as promoted years ago.

Absolutely. I'm for the project. It's just the fears over the lead levels in the soil and what disturing the soil in that area by developing on it could do that is the concern. As well as the potential for more mine shaft collapses.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,071 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Absolutely. I'm for the project. It's just the fears over the lead levels in the soil and what disturing the soil in that area by developing on it could do that is the concern. As well as the potential for more mine shaft collapses.

As I said before I’m from the area and also farming there so know more than I ever wanted to about lead in soil etc this project is back up on the hill the lead problem is back down below the village from a lead perspective I’d have no worries there the shafts are also below the proposed site .
    Hopefully this gets the go ahead and the whole area is tidied up

• Registered Users Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭History Queen

mahoney_j wrote: »
    As I said before I’m from the area and also farming there so know more than I ever wanted to about lead in soil etc this project is back up on the hill the lead problem is back down below the village from a lead perspective I’d have no worries there the shafts are also below the proposed site .
    Hopefully this gets the go ahead and the whole area is tidied up

There are shafts alongside the site also. Lead is an issue along by Garryard area too. Caused issues in 2018. Anyway ironing out these issues is all part of the process. Will be great for village and surrounding area if it gets the green light.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭julyjane

I was thinking of this thread the other day for some reason. Where do people see seats going over the next few elections? Will SF keep the seat or will Séamus Healy win it back? Will Máirín McGrath inherit Mattie's seat and will the core FF/Team Lowry supporters keep Cahill and Lowry in situ?

I would say that having survived this year, Alan Kelly's seat is probably safe until he decides to run for the Áras, we all know that day will come even if it's a long way off

• Registered Users Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭touts

Lowry is the Trump of Tipperary. He could shoot someone on the main street of Thurles and still top the poll in North Tipp.

Mattie will run for at least one more term. Mairin isn't ready to replace him yet. He is hugely popular in South Tipp and as really the only TD active in the south he will hold his seat (yes I know Browne is based in the South but that's where "active" comes in. He barely registers a heartbeat).

SF will keep the seat but I hear they plan a "running mate" for Browne which in reality is to replace Browne who they are more than slightly embarrassed by. SF could have run a dead donkey and still taken a seat with the momentum behind them. Browne pretty much proved that. There are a number of local SF people eyeing the seat but HQ have picked a "celeb" candidate (i.e. in Tipp that means an All Ireland Winner). Healy is still hanging in there but is a beaten man.

Agree Kelly is probably safe. Being a party leader will give him the profile to keep going. FF recruiting and running a Labour Nenagh candidate in Farrell didn't dislodge him so nothing will.

Cahill is in serious trouble and his seat is in play. This is the battle that is interesting. FG and specifically Gareth Aherne have targeted his seat. With Kate O'Connell's sister now effectively gone from politics (their local organisation have made it clear to HQ that they will not tolerate any more candidates being parachuted in) that means the vote won't be split and Aherne will have a clear run at Cahill. FF may try to respond by only running Cahill as a single candidate also as the three candidate strategy has failed (Goldsboro failed to come across well on the doorsteps in a very clear example that using a photo-shopped image from 20 years ago for your posters is a risky strategy when you also plan to go out and meet people and Farrell couldn't rally enough support in the local FF party being as she was a Labour candidate). Ambrose is still the obvious candidate from the south in a two candidate strategy but in many ways she is a busted flush as Mattie has her base wrapped up. Smith Jr is still holding out hope of inheriting his daddy's seat but even his daddy has given up on him at this stage. Plus he gave some media interviews where he came across as a spoilt child after losing the nomination so that's him done. So it is likely to be Cahill and some no hope Cllr from the south (possibly Ambrose) who unfortunately won't attract enough votes to transfer to him to allow him beat Aherne.

So it looks like Lowry, McGrath, Kelly, The SF hurler and Aherne.

• Advertisement

julyjane wrote: »
    I was thinking of this thread the other day for some reason. Where do people see seats going over the next few elections? Will SF keep the seat or will Séamus Healy win it back? Will Máirín McGrath inherit Mattie's seat and will the core FF/Team Lowry supporters keep Cahill and Lowry in situ?

I would say that having survived this year, Alan Kelly's seat is probably safe until he decides to run for the Áras, we all know that day will come even if it's a long way off

Kelly..another Phil Hogan...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 957 ✭✭✭80j2lc5y7u6qs9

touts wrote: »
    (yes I know Browne is based in the South but that's where "active" comes in. He barely registers a heartbeat).

SF will keep the seat but I hear they plan a "running mate" for Browne which in reality is to replace Browne who they are more than slightly embarrassed by. .
    what is the problem with Browne?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭Liamo57

Xenophile wrote: »
    Tipperary North Riding and Tipperary South Riding County Councils have been abolished and in the next General Election Tipperary will be a five seater constituency replacing the two old three seaters.

Who are going to take the seats? Fianna Fail, Fine Gael, and Sinn Fein are very weak in the constituency. The only strong candidate allied to a Party is Alan Kelly of Labour.

Prediction

Mattie McGrath
    Michael Lowry
    Alan Kelly
    A.N.Another
    A.N.Another

If Fine Gael could persuade the former Tipperary Hurler, Eoin Kelly to stand he would romp home!

Jesus, thats some choice above. Cutehoorism is very much alive and well in Tipp.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Liamo57 wrote: »
    Jesus, thats some choice above. Cutehoorism is very much alive and well in Tipp.
    Why did you quote the first post?
    Yes Lowry, Mattie arent great
    Browne is non existent. Who would you want in their place?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

I’d say there’d be more get up and go in my wheely bin. I can’t believe anyone voted for him tbh

• Advertisement

Do we need to answer that ,he is way out of his depth ,poor speaker and poor understanding of politics and how it works heard him on tipp fm some time back re the apple tax ,just go get it back .....no understanding of that .he got in purely because he was the only sf person running people voted blindly for him ,he lost his town council seat a year previous no a sf voter or supporter but pity Seamus Morris was with the party he’d of been guaranteed a seat on merit and would of made a great td

jlm29 wrote: »
    I’d say there’d be more get up and go in my wheely bin. I can’t believe anyone voted for him tbh

One and only reason he got in was because of the party he was running for .pure blind votes

I voted for Martin Browne and personally I'm satisfied so far with what I've seen of him, between an issue I support and a small business I do some work for. Some people are happy with Mattie/Lowry/Cahill/Kelly I guess it's just the circles you move in.

It'll be interesting to see how the hurler gets on, celebrity candidates haven't really worked well for FG but a seat is a seat.

Who is the hurler?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

Who is the hurler?

I thought from the other post that the hurler was hypothetical. I.e. that Sinn Fein would run a celebrity, and the other poster was guessing it would be a hurler

jlm29 wrote: »
    I thought from the other post that the hurler was hypothetical. I.e. that Sinn Fein would run a celebrity, and the other poster was guessing it would be a hurler
    ok i see thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

I’m no sf voter but to be fair to them, they don’t tend to run ‘celebrity’ candidates.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,515 ✭✭✭golfball37

From Clare and I can say Browne has done well for workers in Shannon Heritage. By done well I mean represented their interests well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 rapazirlandes

I've heard a lot of FF, FG and Labour members make similar comments about Browne. To be fair, he is not the most polished politician, but as a first time TD I think he is doing a pretty good job. He broke the news about the HSE stopping testing in meat processing locations, I heard a small business owner in Golden on Tipp FM thanking Browne for getting the HSE to undertake testing for their staff to help their businesses reputation, he seems to be out meeting communities and farming groups. It's 6 months since the election and we have been through Covid lockdown. I think Browne is doing a good job all things considered and he will only get stronger as he gets trained up by the party. If he can get the likes of Matt Carthy in to the constituency to support farmers too it will help his case too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,348 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Jackie Cahill highly critical of Leo actions last week got absolutely stung into a vote of no confidence this week and had to tow the party line seemingly, why do some of these lads even bother to pretend they are principled??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Dymo

Jackie Cahill highly critical of Leo actions last week got absolutely stung into a vote of no confidence this week and had to tow the party line seemingly, why do some of these lads even bother to pretend they are principled??

You join a political, but obligations comes with joining, in return for the exposure of being a member.

He can talk all he wants but he has to toe the party line or else try it alone like Michael Lowry and Mattie McGrath.

It’s like two people haggling over buying something...playing the game and hoping to get the price that suits u.

I don’t know Jackie Cahill, but I’ve a funny feeling he wouldn’t be too familiar with the legalities of the case.

They have to keep Leo or they’re all out canvassing again!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,348 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Dymo wrote: »
    You join a political, but obligations comes with joining, in return for the exposure of being a member.

He can talk all he wants but he has to toe the party line or else try it alone like Michael Lowry and Mattie McGrath.

No point talking and getting airtime when theres absolutely zero substance to it, he wanted to be seen to criticize. Same man was over in Cheltenham at the start of the pandemic.

Lowry has been towing the FG line from a distance if you haven't noticed. Mattie didn't leave FF, FF left him...his own words.

digzy wrote: »
    It’s like two people haggling over buying something...playing the game and hoping to get the price that suits u.

I don’t know Jackie Cahill, but I’ve a funny feeling he wouldn’t be too familiar with the legalities of the case.

They have to keep Leo or they’re all out canvassing again!

Met Cahill a few times. He wouldn't inspire you with confidence. He's there because of his farming connections and still they wouldn't let him near the department of agriculture.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭dogcat

dogcat wrote: »

Heard that there were some journalists looking into the whole internal Civil War and resulting purge of members that happened in Tipperary Sinn Fein a couple of years ago but nothing seemed to appear in the papers yet. Looks like HQ locked down hard on members and some ex-members to stop them talking. Mary Lou's recent interview where she called some members "Pig Ignorant" was apparently designed to soothe the concerns of more reasonable members and ex-members and show that the party leadership doesn't support the likes of Browne. Also they have decided on a two candidate strategy in Tipperary next time so they hope Browne will be gone after the next election.

wonder who the second could be? Martin Browne didn't exactly sail in comfortably so they risk splitting the vote with a 2 candidate strategy. D Dunne would get almost every vote in Carrick town but is he as well known outside the division? T Black from the same area as Browne

Browns vote was more of a Sinn Fein one as opposed to personal.
    He lost his local authority seat to tony black and basically ran because they had nobody else at the time and they probably didn’t think they’d a chance of a seat when he was selected.

Given the coalition, Sinn Fein are the alternative. There’s no way they could chance brown again. I hope they pick tony black. Nice bloke and very popular in his area.

The length of the current Dáil could be an interesting factor - will we have a general election or a local election first?

• Advertisement

I’m in no way a sf voter nor can I see myself been ,the one and only reason brown got in is because he was a sf candidate ,he’s not fit to be a td and any time I’ve heard him speak he’s v poor .if Seamie Morris was still running as a sf td he’d of sailed in and would of been very good .can’t see brown getting in again Damian O Donoughe in nenagh is doing great work around town but probably not well known from there to south of the county .good honest hard worker and cares about people

Advertisement