Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Autumn 2020 - General Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,777 ✭✭✭appledrop

Isn’t the weather “always good” when the kids go back to school?

As we know nothing is normal this year including the 'good' back to school weather.

Absolutely torrential rain all morning in Dublin. Surface flooding on all the roads. Its depressing after dullest summer on record in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

2020 doesn't do whats normal or usual. Don't usually like New Years Eve but I'm looking forward to it this year already!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,198 ✭✭✭ongarite

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

A few more counties added and length extended.

Status Yellow - Rainfall warning for Connacht, Cavan, Monaghan and Donegal
    Met Éireann Weather Warning

Further falls of heavy rain today with localised flooding and hazardous driving conditions.

Valid: 10:00 Wednesday 02/09/2020 to 21:00 Wednesday 02/09/2020

Issued: 09:00 Wednesday 02/09/2020

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

"The world" has vanished from sight out here. Just.... solid walls of water and a howling high wind. But so far it is all soaking in as we have had little rain of late.

There is a small area by the gate where rainwater tends to pool but all is fine there now and this place is raised on concrete blocks.

Looking at my old home area of Clifden and Recess.

Stay dry!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

It's a soft day in Waterford, dull and damp in the air but not much.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Lashing rain all through the night here - awoke to sulking cat hysterically miaowing in the porch and demanding to be let in. (I do not own a cat). Cat & I now seated in/on furry bathrobes at opposite ends of the couch. My biggest problem with today is whether an expiry date of 10/08/2020 is October 8th or August 10th. If no further posts please ring coroner to come in his boat & do the necessary.

Huge tides and waves breaking the dunes apart last week and blistering sun yesterday - mother nature sure is having a schiczophrenic phase.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

I wonder will we have a mostly dry autumn and a crisp winter, all that rain that fell and the river's and lakes at full capacity in North Clare, even the turloughs are appearing again.

The river Fergus in Corofin burst it's banks a few times, although the village is up higher but the lake on the way in had flooded all the fields.

The falls in Ennistymon were a sight to behold recently, there was a constant rainbow over the falls when the sun came out and all around there was a mist.

2020 is a strange year, all we need now is a big freeze at the end of the year to put the icing on the cake.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Strangest rainband I have seen in a good while. All morning the rain has been mostly light, but every now and again, and with a curious regularity, a heavier burst will come along and last for no more than 5 to 10 seconds at a time. This has been happening since about 7am this morning.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Dry when I woke up this morning in Cork City (but the ground etc was wet). Overcast and about 18 degrees. Feels humid enough too

• Advertisement

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Strangest rainband I have seen in a good while. All morning the rain has been mostly light, but every now and again, and with a curious regularity, a heavier burst will come along and last for no more than 5 to 10 seconds at a time. This has been happening since about 7am this morning.

Just this, Galway City. Very strange.

Oneiric 3 wrote: »

It is the same out here; rhythmic rain singing its ancient song. Although the bursts here last longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Torrential shower in Letterkenny just now after a mostly dry morning. Could hear some very heavy rain overnight, woke me up at one point

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,701 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

like most of the country it rained alot last night and it was very loud rain indeed and it kept me awake for much of the night.

The good news is that once we get past today it should be much dryer over the next week with high pressure next week looking like a decent possibility, however there still may be some showery activity across western and northern areas close to the coast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 366 ✭✭daniel_t1409

The rainfall figures on twitter show that June, July and August were all above average, and March, April and May were below average.

https://twitter.com/METclimate/status/1301115000900083713

Still as intense as ever here in West Mayo and the sky darker. With the high winds into the mix.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,907 ✭✭✭OldRio

Rain all day. From light to heavy and everything inbetween. Utterly dreadful. Floods on the roads.
    Co. Leitrim

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

After a wet morning, it's sunny/tropical in Dublin 16. 24.4c atm!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 366 ✭✭daniel_t1409

Fog/drizzle in Wexford now, can barely see the end of the field!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,054 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

4pm
    Phoenix park a warm 22 degrees

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭Hooter23

The forecast for the weekend and early next week was for fine weather...now its showers some heavy or prolonged...I think the earlier forecast might still happen latest forecast not great...

The wind has eased. Quieter now and the showers also seem lighter; West Mayo

• Registered Users Posts: 10,054 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Clearer,drier weather has moved into Castlebar after almost 24 hours of rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,777 ✭✭✭appledrop

The weather is a bit mad at moment in NCD.

You look out window + nearly dark with massive rain clouds but yet when you go outside its a lot milder then you think.

Ah well nice to sit outside for an hour after work even if ground + grass are saturated around me!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭Emme

It used to be but it was very wet last September. This September hasn't started well. The pattern that hung around for the last 3 months doesn't seem to be shifting.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,727 ✭✭✭degsie

It rained today.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Very warm tonight in Dublin City centre

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Very low cloud and and overcast around Tralee for much of the day, some breaks from time to time giving a bit of brief sunshine. Noticeably very humid and feeling warm getting up to 20.5C. The mountains looked spectacular with finer lighter wispy cloud draped over them from windward to leeward side, as if it was neatly folded over. Missed all the heavy rain here with just 0.4mm recorded and remained dry much of the day with some light rain early evening and a bit misty after that.

Quiet and dry with a small breeze. Cool. fresh.

The sky is amazing. Patches of palest blue and sculptured clouds - then to the east dark threatening ominous masses of black …shivers .

West Mayo offshore

8 am and wind rising

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Bit of a difference between Met Eireann's forecast and MT's this morning. MT's is the more optimistic,lets hope he is right

Advertisement