Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dragon's Den UK 2019

• 11-08-2019 5:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 840 ✭✭✭

Tonight returning yet again is the deplorable Dragon's Den. This excuse for showcasing nastiness has overstayed its welcome years ago. It is time to end this monstrosity.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,446 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

It has an audience. The current dragons are quite unlikeable though. I preferred it in the early days.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭flanna01

I think it's a great show - If you don't like it, switch channels...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭Sonny noggs

There is much worse out there - reality TV crap like the singing ones the dating ones Love Island etc. How about Fair City? Tripe of the highest order.

flanna01 wrote: »
    I think it's a great show - If you don't like it, switch channels...

I think the OP would rather censor TV they don’t like, but at the same time point out how ‘gileadean’ we have become, while missing the irony.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

There is much worse out there - reality TV crap like the singing ones the dating ones Love Island etc. How about Fair City? Tripe of the highest order.

While I wouldn't really be into dragons den it wouldn't even break into the top 100 of programmes I would axe.

• Advertisement

While I wouldn't really be into dragons den it wouldn't even break into the top 100 of programmes I would axe.

Agreed. The Late Late Show on the other hand...

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Petyr Baelish

Tonight returning yet again is the deplorable Dragon's Den. This excuse for showcasing nastiness has overstayed its welcome years ago. It is time to end this monstrosity.

Thanks for the heads up, I would have missed it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,231 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Like the show, but some of the current dragons are boring and as above thanks for the heads up

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

In the broad pantheon of reality TV, Dragons Den is far from the worst. Don't personally ascribe to the idea of putting ones business idea in the hands of potentially vulturous capitalists, but clearly others have no trouble. In essence it's still a fascinating slice of the entrepreneurial spirit in action, watching great (and terrible) ideas get pitched.

And as is always the case, if you don't like it, then don't watch it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,870 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

The show that gave us Peter Casey,Katy Hopkins and Jennifer whatsherface. Nuff said.

• Advertisement

The show that gave us Peter Casey,Katy Hopkins and Jennifer whatsherface. Nuff said.

Katie Hopkins was from The Apprentice.

No idea who Jennifer whatsherface is. Any clues?

So much for ‘Nuff said.’

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭tacofries

I'm on the show next week. Make sure to play nice with the comments afterwards haha! :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Katie Hopkins was on the Apprentice not Dragons Den

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭Happy4all

There is nothing "reality" about Fair City

• Registered Users Posts: 5,871 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Have to say we both love Dragons Den always something unusual happening as was said OP if you don't like it change channels

• Closed Accounts Posts: 840 ✭✭✭The Late Late Show

ALL reality TV is drivel. Agreed that ALL this reality stuff you mention is awful. Dragon's Den was better when it came out first and was different at the time but the current dragons are 100% dislikeable. Fair City and other soaps can range from woeful to ok depending on the storylines. I can take it or leave it but some people cannot get enough of it and the other soaps. The modern version of Coronation Street is much worse but it is popular. The older versions of ALL these soaps were much better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 840 ✭✭✭The Late Late Show

I think the OP would rather censor TV they don’t like, but at the same time point out how ‘gileadean’ we have become, while missing the irony.

People are entitled to give an opinion on these type of shows. To me, reality TV is horrible, uncaring and nasty as well as being boring. When the personalities and values of trashy reality TV enter politics, then it is more than a TV problem. You see how America's reality TV government is going. Nastiness taken to the extreme. Peter Casey, our dragon, also was able to channel his reality TV personality and pick up votes because he appeared on TV.

I am not saying reality TV should be banned but it should not be dominating things either. There is a time and a place for it. And the nastiness on Dragon's Den, those talent shows and Operation Transformation is wrong. Clearly, anyone who gets pleasure or entertainment out of seeing real people being degraded on TV has something wrong with them. The same people would lose their standup when it comes to some violent scenes in a drama like The Handmaid's Tale, Love/Hate or Breaking Bad (actors playing the part being the whole point) but think someone being brought to tears on a reality show is ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭CollyFlower

I love Dragons Den, regardless of how bad their pitch may be, they might have a great product, they get exposure and it might lead somewhere...... Like the Donald buying Greenland, wish he'd buy this island.

The Irish lad struggled a bit in episode 2, but he did well to get what he did.

I'm sure I've seen that shower caddy product advertised on Facebook in the last few months.
    Not sure if it's him or someone who has copied him - must keep an eye out.

That was me! It was edited to make it look like that. I actually got on really well with Deborah (it didn’t look like it on tv!) and she was right on the verge of investing.

I’d love people to see the full thing because you’d be absolutely amazed at how much editing is done! Tej also offered money straight away even before Peter declared himself out. The offer I accepted also included a line of credit and free access to staff which wasn’t aired.

• Advertisement

Holy crap, well done! Small world!

When was it filmed?

Thanks! It was filmed at the end of March so it was pretty hard to keep my lips sealed shut till last night.

Met with all of them In London since and the three of them are genuinely so down to earth. No egos whatsoever...

Thanks! It was filmed at the end of March so it was pretty hard to keep my lips sealed shut till last night.

Met with all of them In London since and the three of them are genuinely so down to earth. No egos whatsoever...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,295 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Fair play. Hope it works out well for you and one day you could be the one in the chair :)

tacofries wrote: »

Thats the shower thing? Where else have I seen it? Irish Dragons Den

Collie D wrote: »
    Fair play. Hope it works out well for you and one day you could be the one in the chair :)

Sara said those exact words ahaha “if you take my money you’re going to be the one in the chair in a few years time”. Raging that that wasn’t broadcast...

The clip at the start where Deborah said ‘you’re the type of entrepreneur we love to see walk into the den’ was me too! I was sickened that she didn’t make an offer as she seemed very matter of fact and easy to work with.

They were all very sound, although me and Peter did have a bit of difference in opinions.

Collie D wrote: »

Sara said those exact words ahaha “if you take my money you’re going to be the one in the chair in a few years time”. Raging that that wasn’t broadcast...

The clip at the start where Deborah said ‘you’re the type of entrepreneur we love to see walk into the den’ was me too! I was sickened that she didn’t make an offer as she seemed very matter of fact and easy to work with.

They were all very sound, although me and Peter did have a bit of difference in opinions.

fritzelly wrote: »

Late late in Feb!

fritzelly wrote: »

Late late in Feb!

• Advertisement

tacofries wrote: »
    Late late in Feb!

Now it clicks (must have been the only time I watched a bit of the LLS)

Advertisement